Protection Logs Have Repeated Errors

Unicore, will you please run mbam-check when you are logged in to a LUA and running mbam as a LU? You'll have to use "Run as Administrator" to run mbam-check. I expect that the databases will all have no date values (which is what  I still experience even after loading TetonBob's fix). I think it might be a reporting issue rather than the databases not actually being available to the program, but TetonBob will need to respond to that. I'm interested whether your results mirror mine.

Here are my results (all LUA except actually running mbam-check using "Run as Administrator" within the LUA). If I exit mbam and re-start it using "Run as Administrator", the database information shows up when I run mbam-check. I'm  running Win 8. It's possible mbam reacts differently with Win 8 and Win 10.

mbam-check result log version:     2.1.1.1001
========================================

User Account type:                 Administrator
Current Version and Build:         6.2.9200.0
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:         2.1.8.1057
Installed On:                      2015/07/24
Malware Database:                  0000.00.00.00
Rootkit Database:                  0000.00.00.00
Remediation Database:              0000.00.00.00
IP Database:                       0000.00.00.00
Domain Database:                   0000.00.00.00
License:                           Premium
Malware Protection:                4 (The service is running.)
Malicious Website Protection:      4 (The service is running.)
Chameleon:                         4 (The service is running.)
Log Created:                       2015/09/05 10:07:39
Compatibility Flag Settings:

I ran mbam-check and my results were exactly the same as yours.  When logged in under LUA there were no date values but when I logged in from an admin. account, the database dates show up.  Another interesting thing is that even though I am running Windows 10, mbam-check reports that I am running Windows 8  64 bit Operating System.  I've never had Windows 8 on this computer.  I went directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  So it seems that mbam-check does not recognize Windows 10.

I also discovered that after running mbam-check, the MBAM icon in my taskbar disappeared from my LUA account.  It remained in my admin account.  I rebooted several times to see if it would reappear in the LUA, but alas it was gone.  So I had to perform another uninstall and clean reinstall of MBAM from the admin. account to get the icon back in my LUA hidden taskbar icon group.

I ran mbam-check and my results were exactly the same as yours.  When logged in under LUA there were no date values but when I logged in from an admin. account, the database dates show up.  Another interesting thing is that even though I am running Windows 10, mbam-check reports that I am running Windows 8  64 bit Operating System.  I've never had Windows 8 on this computer.  I went directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  So it seems that mbam-check does not recognize Windows 10.

I also discovered that after running mbam-check, the MBAM icon in my taskbar disappeared from my LUA account.  It remained in my admin account.  I rebooted several times to see if it would reappear in the LUA, but alas it was gone.  So I had to perform another uninstall and clean reinstall of MBAM from the admin. account to get the icon back in my LUA hidden taskbar icon group.

Thanks, sorry about you losing the taskbar Icon. That doesn't happen with my Win 8. I've read that there is a lot of Win 8 in Win 10. We'll have to wait and see what TetonBob says. You'd think that there would be warnings if the databases weren't accessible to the program; so, hopefully, it's just a reporting glitch. The Malicious Website test page produces a warning pop up. Mbam must access one of the databases to do that.

• Staff

Hello, Unicore and calintexas

mbam-check is undergoing some upgrades. We're aware it does not report Windows 10 accurately. We have that addressed in our internal test build. No time frame that I can report for the release of the next version.

Also,

. I think it might be a reporting issue rather than the databases not actually being available to the program

Correct, this is only a reporting issue for mbam-check.

We're aware of the issue of no database showing in a CheckResults.txt log if you're running an LUA, and the admin account is not logged in. Note: Sometimes even with the admin logged on, if mbam-check is run from the LUA, the same issue will occur.

In fact, mbam-check will not report databases even in an admin account if mbam.exe is not running.

If I exit mbam and re-start it using "Run as Administrator", the database information shows up when I run mbam-check.

Right, that's because mbam.exe is then running under the admin account rather than under the LUA.

If the admin account is not logged on, and you run mbam-check from the LUA, mbam-check requests elevation. When it gains elevation it is then running as the admin, but the admin is not logged on, so mbam.exe is not running on that user account.

Unicore:

I also discovered that after running mbam-check, the MBAM icon in my taskbar disappeared from my LUA account.  It remained in my admin account.  I rebooted several times to see if it would reappear in the LUA, but alas it was gone.

I'm not sure why that happened. It's not my experience when performing the same steps on Windows 10 (or Windows 8.1 for that matter). Did you try logging into the admin account during those reboots?

I'm not sure why that happened. It's not my experience when performing the same steps on Windows 10 (or Windows 8.1 for that matter). Did you try logging into the admin account during those reboots?

Yes, MBAM worked fine in the admin account.  However, with he LUA not only had the icon in the taskbar vanished, but also the desktop icon would not bring up the MBAM dashboard even if I ran it as administrator.  Same thing was true for the apps.  If I clicked the start button and then went to the MBAM app, I could click on it or try to run it as administrator but it would not display the dashboard.  I had effectively lost all control of MBAM from the LUA.

I rebooted several times hoping something would reset but it stayed the same in that MBAM continued to work properly from the admin account but didn't respond in the LUA.

I performed a clean uninstall and reinstall from the admin account (along with running the mbam2-rules.exe file) and everything is back to normal.

I have noticed in the past (under Windows 7 Home) that sometimes MBAM becomes unresponsive to the taskbar icon in LUA and I had to resort to using the destop icon to see the dashboard.  I've noticed this same behavior on several different Windows 7 computers.