Guidance Needed

Ok so I tried to unzip the geek file and the computer isn't recognizing the file type.

" Windows cannot open this file: to open this file, windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online and look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs that are installed on your computer. what do you want to do? Use the web service to find the correct program or select a program from the list of install programs."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your response. I know how to use a zip file.

The computer was unable to compress files or make a zip when I first tried to fix it. So I did a disk check and then it was available. The computer had files my sister wanted to keep in case the computer completely stopped working. So I have zipped and burned.

So I guess should I do a disk check again? Something is on the computer that seems to be corrupting Windows.

Run system file checker, see if any corrupt system files need to be replace:

Close all windows, Select > start icon > all programs > accessories > Right click on "command prompt" > select > Run as administrator > ok any alerts > at the command prompt type or copy and paste sfc /scannow > then tap enter.When finished type exit Tap enter, re-boot your PC.

***Note the space between sfc and /scannow.

To get report, at elevated command promt type or copy and paste:

findstr /c:"[sR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Thanks,

Kevin...

Hi Kevin. I'm thinking this virus is more sinister than first imagined.

I ran sfc in safe mode and was able to get a log. I saved it to the desktop. Some files were still corrupted and unable to be fixed.

After that I rebooted normally and ran sfc again with the same results.

This is where it gets shady. I tried to access the log and it told me access denied. So I tried to copy the file to my desktop. It told me I needed admin privileges so I just hit continue and it copied.

Then I plugged the Ethernet cable in and tried to access this forum as fast as I could and the computer started acting really crazy. It was a 99% memory usage and I was unable to do anything. It took 5 min to close all of the windows when I did a restart.

Hello,

Kevin is on away, so I'll try to help you.

• Do not paste the logs in your posts, attachments make my work easier. There is a More reply options button, that gives you Upload Files option below which you can use to attach your reports. Always attach reports from all tools.

FRST.gif Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.

• Right-click on FRST.gif icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.

(XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).

• Make sure that Addition option is checked.
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please upload them into your next reply.

remove%20outdated.jpg Uninstall some programs

We need to uninstall some unwanted/unneeded programs.

• Press the WindowsKey.png + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
  • Search there for each entry mentioned below, right-click the entry and click Uninstall one at a time
The list of programs to uninstall:
  • 7-zip v9.20
  • Snap.Do Engine
After completing uninstalls, please manually reboot your machine!

Note: If you get the message like: An error occurred while trying to uninstall, just press Yes.

Note: If you are unable to uninstall all programs, please inform me, but continue with other steps.

FRST.gif Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine. icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable. icon_exclaim.gif

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on FRST.gif icon and select RunAsAdmin.jpg Run as Administrator to start the tool.

• Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.
Please upload it to your reply.

fixlist.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your patience!

So I tried to uninstall the 7-zip v9.20 and it said it had already been uninstalled.

When I tried to uninstall the Snap.Do Engine, it did nothing.

I when ahead and did the Fix above and I have uploaded the log.

After i did the fix, my computer had one update to install. I let it install.

After the boot, i have a dialog box that is prompting me. It reads "An unknown program would liek to change your default search provider to "Web Search" (feed.snap.do).  I will select "don't change".

Fixlog.txt

FRST.gif Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.

• Make sure that Addition option is checked.
  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please upload them into your next reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Those logs are clean, do not see any infection. Snap.Do Engine is still showing in the installed programs list, I see you have tried to uninstall but nothing happen...

Try this please:

Download GeekUninstaller from here: http://www.geekuninstaller.com/download (Choose free version) Save Geek.zip to your Desktop. (Visit the Home page at that link for necessary information)

Extract Geek Uninstaller and save to your Desktop. There is no need to install, the executable is portable and can also be run from a USB if required.

Run the tool, the main GUI will populate with installed programs list,

Left click on Snap.Do Engine to highlight that entry.

Select Action from the Menu bar, then Uninstall from there follow the prompts.

If Uninstall fails open the "Action" menu one more time and use "Force Removal" option....

Let me know if the uninstall is successful...

Next,

Your Java javaicon.gif is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.

Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:

Go to http://java.com/en/ and click on "Do I have Java"

It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version

Watch for and make sure you untick the box next to whatever free program they prompt you to install during the installation, unless you want it.

***Note: Check in Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs if you are an XP user) to make certain there are no old versions of Java still installed, if so - remove them. <<-- Very Important

Can you also give an update on any remaining issues or concerns....

Thank you,

Kevin...

Kevin, I am still unable to unzip files. How can I fix this? The file icon looks like a blank piece of paper. When i click on it, it says it cant find a program to open the file with.

PS. i just had rotator cuff surgery so im typing with one hand. please excuse any typos and grammatical errors.

i was able to extract the geek file, thank you! i had to do a force removal of the snap do.

when at the java website i clicked the Do i have java link, when i try to verify it the java dectection app doesnt appear. A dialog box comes up and says the website i,m trying to view uses java. and then says this:

Verify Java Version

We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser.

If you have installed Java and there is an error with the verification, there could be a configuration issue (eg. browser, Java control panel, security settings) or the Java plug-in is blocked by the browser. Try restarting your browser before trying to verify the installation again, and check that the browser allows Java to run.

» See the troubleshooting FAQ
» Try to verify Java again

also, i have noticed that the start menu is bare. i know itunes and other programs like paint and scandisk are on the computer but i have no idea how to get to them. all the files under programs are either empty or have that blank page icon (even malwarebytes).

earlier, i tried to go to the apple website and a dialog box popped up and said "this webpage wants to run the following add on 'control name is not available' from 'not available'      it gave me the option of "allow" and "always allow"; i just closed the box without choosing either.