MWB free version-Am I protected?

Earlier today I am on administrator account on HP laptop- performing a manual update to free version of MWB. I take a look at the log to see if all is well and here is what it says:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Error, 8/29/2015 2:43 PM, SYSTEM, PVN-HP, Protection, IsLicensed, 13, 
Protection, 8/29/2015 2:43 PM, SYSTEM, PVN-HP, Protection, Malware Protection, Stopping, 
Protection, 8/29/2015 2:43 PM, SYSTEM, PVN-HP, Protection, Malware Protection, Stopped, 

(end)

When looking back at previous logs, says the same thing for many days... Should I reinstall?? I installed this current MWB after a factory reset to win 7 sp 1 plus about 150 windows updates. Any connection?? I do have the paid version on my desktop Dell without similar results. Thanks...

Hi:

Yes, @Dublin70, @Porthos is correct.

It has ALWAYS been the case -- at least since Moses was a pup -- that MBAM Free has been a manual, on-demand scanner.
In order to get real-time, active protection to help prevent infection, one needs the paid, Premium version.

And, even with the paid, Premium version, one still needs an anti-virus alongside MBAM Premium, as explained HERE.

The list of features for the 2 MBAM versions is spelled out in the side-by-side comparison (scroll down on the page) HERE

More info about v2.1.8 HERE
Version 2.1.8 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thank you,

and as an aside, guess there's no sense in doing updates to the database??? from what my post says "stopping" and from what you said, "no-not protected, I guess I shouldn't bother.

also Daledoc, I always have an anti-virus program in place. I'll check out the comparisons but would appreciate answer to my latest post . Thanks again.

Hi:

and as an aside, guess there's no sense in doing updates to the database??? from what my post says "stopping" and from what you said, "no-not protected, I guess I shouldn't bother.

Well, yes and no.
It's vitally important to keep the database updated, no matter which version of the program (Free or Premium).
MBAM specifically targets zero-hour and zero-day threats often missed by the anti-virus.
MBAM Premium can be configured for automatic, scheduled update checks in order to stay up to date.
MBAM Free does not have that task scheduling feature, nor does it provide real-time protection.

When one runs a MANUAL scan with MBAM Free (and a Manual scan with Premium, too), the program will -- as part of its pre-scan operations, check for database updates before the scan runs.

So, strictly speaking, there is no point in manually updating the MBAM Free database UNLESS you plan to run a manual scan with it immediately after doing the check.

In fact, the program will make that update check on its own, as part of pre-scan operations, each time you run a manual scan with MBAM Free (assuming that the computer is connected to the internet and is able to contact the update server).

IOW, the only time it matters for MBAM Free to be up to date is right before the user runs a manual scan.

also Daledoc, I always have an anti-virus program in place. I'll check out the comparisons but would appreciate answer to my latest post . Thanks again.

The tidbit about having an AV, too, was for anyone else reading the thread, not necessarily for you. :)
Many folks misunderstand MBAM Premium to be sufficient by itself, without an AV.
So, we always tend to include that reminder.

I'm not sure what answer you are looking for?  I assume you refer to this:

I can just scan system for malware and that's it?

MBAM Free uses the same scanning engines and malware removal technology as the Premium version.
So, yes, you can MANUALLY SCAN for and remove with MBAM Free malware that made it past your AV onto the computer.

The difference is that Free does not provide real-time protection to help prevent infection in the first place.

The side-by-side comparison of Free vs. Premium (scroll down on the page) HERE

More info about v2.1.8 HERE
Version 2.1.8 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

I always have an anti-virus program in place. I'll check out the comparisons but would appreciate answer to my latest post . Thanks again.

Daledoc gave you the answer....

that MBAM Free has been a manual, on-demand scanner.

In order to get real-time, active protection to help prevent infection, one needs the paid, Premium version.

If you are having issues please ...

The Premium version always says "Stopping" and "stopped" just before it integrates a new database.  If you see this right before you update the database, I would bet that this is something that occurs in free and Premium...a developer would need to weigh in on that.  You should definitely do database updates before you run a scan.  Without a new database, there's little point in running a scan unless you want to look for malware so old that it does not do what the attacker intended it to.

Thank you all for inputs. Daledoc especially -- a thorough and concise answer to my questions. I feel much better about the free version now knowing it can help me detect and remove malware should it be necessary - even though it does not provide real time protection, it's there for me should I need it . I do run a manual scan once a week. Hope that is enough. Thanks again --, 

The Premium version always says "Stopping" and "stopped" just before it integrates a new database.  If you see this right before you update the database, I would bet that this is something that occurs in free and Premium...a developer would need to weigh in on that.

I presume that is most likely the case -- the logging behavior (e.g. during manual updating) may be similar/identical for both versions, Free and Premium.

You should definitely do database updates before you run a scan.  Without a new database, there's little point in running a scan unless you want to look for malware so old that it does not do what the attacker intended it to.

Exactly.

@Dublin70, if you're not sure what's going on with the system in question, then it would greatly help if you could please provide a bit of system information.

To do that:

First, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

AND, if possible, please ALSO attach to your next reply here a PROTECTION LOG (not a scan log) from the same system (instructions are below).

Thank you,

----------------------

How to get SCAN logs or PROTECTION logs:

(Export log to save as a txt file for posting in the forum when requested)

• Open MBAM.
  • Click on the HISTORY tab > APPLICATION LOGS.
  • Double-click on the SCAN LOG which shows the date and time of the scan just performed (or the one you are asked to post), OR on the PROTECTION LOG showing the detection you are reporting (or the one that you are asked to post).
  • Click EXPORT.
  • Click TEXT FILE (*.txt)
  • In the "Save File" dialog box which appears, click on DESKTOP.
  • In the FILE NAME box, type a name for your scan log.
  • A message box named "File Saved" should appear, stating that "Your file has been successfully exported".
  • Click OK.
  • Please attach the saved log to your next reply here in this thread.

Our posts crossed in cyberspace.

You wrote:

Thank you all for inputs. Daledoc especially -- a thorough and concise answer to my questions. I feel much better about the free version now knowing it can help me detect and remove malware should it be necessary - even though it does not provide real time protection, it's there for me should I need it . I do run a manual scan once a week. Hope that is enough. Thanks again --, 

You are most welcome.

I'm glad I could help.

Take care,