Malwarebytes Anti-malware & Anti-exploit Premium & what AV ?

eberhad652

I would like to ask the forum a question. I have been using Malwarebytes Anti-malware premium & Anti-exploit premium with Windows Defender & McAfee Security Center on both my Dell desktop and my wife's Dell laptop.. At the time I had Windows 7 Home Premium. I have since upgraded to Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge. I did put the custom shields in Anti-exploit - spartan.exe - browser_broker.exe and microsoftedge.exe - microsoftedgecp.exe. I had the Windows defender scheduled to scan and update every day @ 3:00 PM and I had McAfee scheduled to do a full scan once a week on Wednesday @ 3:00 PM and quick clean to clean every Friday @ 3:00 PM. I also use CCleaner on a daily basis. I do a disc clean and defrag. every week on Sunday. I also do a full back-up on both computers every Sunday.

Everything has been working great and running smooth. I wonder since my renewal is coming due on McAfee on both computer's in September, if I really need it.

Do you think with running Malwarebytes both product's premium with Windows defender, if that would be enough ? I know that in the past Malwarebytes Antimalware premium has caught malware / Trojans that McAfee and Windows defender didn't catch and the same goes for Anti-exploit. I do have the Malwarebytes Anti-malware settings to self protect and on start up also.

If not what would you suggest ?

Thank you in advance

Concerning Windows Defender:   On Windows 7, Defender is "simply" an anti-MALWARE program, and so should be "acceptable" to run along with McAfee AntiVIRUS.    But on Windows 10, Defender is a full AntiVIRUS program, and so should NOT be run along with another anti-virus.   In fact, the way Windows (8.x and) 10 is set-up, Defender should "realize" the presence of an alternative anti-virus program (McAfee) and automatically shut itself off, deferring to McAfee.    [As such, there is no need to manually disable nor uninstall Defender in Win (8.1 & 10).]

Augmenting Defender with MBAM Pro + MBAE Pro make a strong combination... perhaps strong enough.   But other anti-virus programs should offer sufficiently more protection; i.e., Defender only offers basic ("baseline") protection.

• Staff

Yes MSE (Vista & Win7) or Defender (Win8.x & Win10) alongside MBAM and MBAE Premium offers stronger protection:

* In terms of old file-infecting viruses and self-replicating worms, the Microsoft engine is actually one of the best out there

* In terms of modern malware, MBAM is one of the best out there and better than Microsoft or McAfee

* In terms of exploits, MBAE is one of the best out there, and much better than Microsoft or McAfee

The combo of Defender (Free) + MBAM Premium + MBAE Premium is not just "good enough", it offers a much better protection than anything else out there in my opinion.

The only thing that McAfee adds to this setup is slowdown of your computer and gobbling of memory.

Thank you very much for the info. I really like Malwarebytes MBAM + premium and MBAE + premium, I also think they bare vamongf the best. I didn't realize that Windows defender is a full anti-virus program now. I had another reply that says Windows defendef only offers basic protection and I would need another anti-virus program coupled with MBAE , MBAM and Windows defender. But from my experience I tend to agree with you because MBAm and MBAE has already shown me it is better than McAfee. I will give it a try.

Yes MSE (Vista & Win7) or Defender (Win8.x & Win10) alongside MBAM and MBAE Premium offers stronger protection:

* In terms of old file-infecting viruses and self-replicating worms, the Microsoft engine is actually one of the best out there

* In terms of modern malware, MBAM is one of the best out there and better than Microsoft or McAfee

* In terms of exploits, MBAE is one of the best out there, and much better than Microsoft or McAfee

The combo of Defender (Free) + MBAM Premium + MBAE Premium is not just "good enough", it offers a much better protection than anything else out there in my opinion.

The only thing that McAfee adds to this setup is slowdown of your computer and gobbling of memory.

Thats the exact thing i have been telling people since mbae came out. That combination with properly configured Windows settings has proven to be excellent in terms of effectiveness and has almost no performance impact.

• 3 months later...

I also use Windows 10.  For protection, I am also using Windows 10 Defender, MBAM and MBAE.  It has also been mentioned, that with properly configured Windows settings, it has proven to be excellent in terms of effectiveness and has almost no performance impact.   I have all three running on their default settings.  Is there anything I should do that I have not done by setting them on their default settings.  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problem with recommending the paid versions of MBAM & MBAE in addition to a traditional AV product, but is MSE/Defender really good enough as that AV product ?

In most of the AV type tests that I have seen, MSE/Defender does badly.  Are you really saying that when running the paid versions of MBAM & MBAE there would be no benefit in also running one of the AV big hitters (e.g. Kaspersky or Bitdefender), instead of MSE/Defender ?

I'm no PC security expert, so I'm just trying to learn here ;)

• Staff

If you balance cost (Defender is free vs Kaspersky/BitDefender) and effectiveness, having MBAM/MBAE Premium already offers the best protection against modern/0day malware/exploits. The only thing you need to worry about is the old file-infecting viruses. And at those, MSE/Defender is actually pretty good. Some would say even better than some of the heavy hitters. Personally I think they are only behind ESET in terms of effectiveness with traditional file-infectors.

With Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (both 64-bit), MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium work in combination extremely well with Avast Free 2015 or 2016.  I have noticed that MBAM Premium turns off Windows Defender.