Malwarebytes Malicious Website Protection blocking access to random sites

Hello,

I just got my laptop back from a local tech support shop. I originally brought it there because I couldn't connect to random websites such as Bing, Youtube, and many many others. I had tried changing the DNS to Google's DNS, doing a system restore, reinstalling the latest networking drivers, and so on. I was unable to connect to these websites with any browser. However, I could connect to them if I used my phone's hotspot, which was odd. Anyways, the tech guy told me that after he disabled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Malcous Website Protection portion), the error went away and he was able to access every website. Could this be a Windows 10 issue? I didn't have this problem on Windows 8. Also, I just moved into my college dorm. Could it be that Malwarebytes found the connection's to these websites unsecure and didn't allow me access?

Thanks

Hello and welcome: :)

MBAM Premium runs just fine on Windows 10.

So, there is something else going on.

And it's not clear what the repair shop might have done.

Let's start with a bit of basic system info:

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

ALSO: Do you use a router?

AND: Have you tried either or both of these troubleshooting steps: using your laptop on another wireless network, and/or having someone else connect to those same sites from your network?

Thanks,

Hi:

Thanks for the logs.

Until someone more expert has a chance to review them, could you please check/try one thing?

It looks as if you have a Qualcomm Network Card and Killer Network Manager.

If so, please DISABLE the setting for "Enable Bandwidth Control" in KNM.

Let us know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,

post-29793-0-14544000-1440621339_thumb.j

Well I turned my laptop off and rebooted it. I then could not access random websites once again. However, I checked Killer Network Manager's settings and that setting was turned on again for some reason. Disabling it once again fixed the issue. Why is it that the issue can be fixed by disabling either Malwarebytes Malicious Website Protection OR that setting? How are they related?

Hi Crusher21--

We've actually been actively working on this particular conflict and now have more information about exactly why it's happening.  

Here's the technical reason for this:

Killer Network interface card installs a Windows Filter Platform device driver that is used to bypass the Windows TCP/IP stack.  However, because this driver bypasses the standard Windows TCP/IP stack, Malwarebytes Web Protection is unable to process the associated network traffic, and as a result, webpages do not load. 

We are working with contacts at Qualcomm to attempt to resolve this conflict, but in the meantime if you wish to use both MBAM and Killer Network Manager you must employ one of the work-arounds identified:  either disable MBAM Website Protection or disabled the Killer Network Manager bandwidth control setting.

Hopefully we'll be able to resolve this issue in a future update, but in this case there is a lot dependent on Qualcomm so any fix is not fully under our control.   :)

• 4 weeks later...