Will I damage MBAE? :(

Transformers

Hello,

I don't want to use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (Free) all the time, so can I disable it from loading every time Windows 10 boots?

I would do it on the MBAE Settings page, but there isn't an option (maybe add one in the next version). So the only way to do it is probably with Task Manager on the Start-up tab.

But if I prevent MBAE from loading at start-up, will it damage the program in any way? Like are there drivers or any processes which need to load at start-up to make sure it functions correctly? Can the program only be run occasionally when needed?

If there are any MBAE developers here, then it would nice to know for certain. :)

Thanks very much,

Transformers

• Staff

Due to the way that MBAE is designed, it *ONLY* provides real-time protection. Turning it off and running it during some times only does not make a lot of sense. This is why it defaults to always run in the background, protecting the running programs.

If you want to stop and start at will, you can create a stop.bat and start.bat file on your Desktop which you can run as admin as needed. Content would be something like:

stop.bat

sc stop mbaesvc

start.bat

sc start mbaesvc

"c:\program files (x86)\malwarebytes anti-exploit\mbae.exe"

• Staff

If you only prevent mbae.exe (the user interface) from loading at boot, it won't affect its protection functionality and will continue to protect you.

But if you prevent mbae-svc.exe (the protection service) from running at boot, then MBAE won't protect you.

If mbae.exe is the user interface, and mbae-svc.exe is the protection service, then what does mbae64.exe do?

Also, if you start or stop the mbae-svc.exe process, does the same happen to mbae64.exe automatically?

And I still think an 'Exit' option should be added to the next version, and a setting for preventing the whole program from booting at start-up (maybe in the Advanced Settings section). There is no harm in having these options available to a user, it at least gives them a choice. :)

• Staff

mbae64.exe is in charge of injecting the 64bit protection into 64bit processes.

If you start mbae-svc.exe, it will automatically start mbae64.exe.

We likely won't be adding an "Exit" option as there is already a "stop protection" option, available from the system tray icon context-menu and from the main interface. The objective of the product is to provide real-time protection (not on-demand), so turning if off/on on demand doesn't make much sense for the vast majority of the user base. For the minority that wants to temporarily do that, they can use the "stop protection" option.

The 'stop protection' option doesn't actually end the running processes, they are all still running in the background after you press 'stop', so I don't really know what that button does.

Also, I will give you an example of why you should have an 'Exit' option and an option which 'prevents the program from booting at start-up'. If someone has good security on their PC, they may not feel the need to have this program running all the time, however if they are occasionally using websites like torrents websites/forums which sometimes have malware, then they might want to turn MBAE on to be extra safe. And adding these two options are basic things to add, I am not requesting completely new features. 

It would be nice to hear if anyone else agrees with me, I can't be the only one who can see why some people might only want to run it occasionally.  :(

• 1 month later...