phishing scam locks up browser

I have resolved this issue, but I was a little surprised that it happened at all, so I'm posting here to see what others have to say.

I use Chrome as a browser and was reading a page today when I got a pop-up, complete with audio, telling my my computer was infecting with adware and to called Microsoft at a given toll-free number immediately. Of course it was a phishing scam. I had to turn my computer off the hard way, because the pop-up prevented me from closing the browser. I restarted in safe mode and ran a scan. Nothing found. I restarted in regular mode and declined the browser's offer to restart where it had left off. I ran a scan again - nothing. 

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium and the free version of Anti-Exploit. Was one of these supposed to stop the phishing scam, and if so, can you suggest why it did not. I confess I'm not always clear about what kinds of malware these programs are supposed to stop, so I'm curious.

I used to use No-Script to stop stuff like this when I used Firefox; I suspect it would have stopped this pop-up from taking over. However, they don't make No-Script for Chrome and there are very mixed reviews for similar programs that are available for Chrome. Do you have any recommendations along this line?

Thank you!

Chances are that often your Antivirus can help stop (or pick up) these things.

they don't make No-Script for Chrome

I have installed >> AdFender Free Current version: 1.83 and find it works lighter for me than No-Script programs and  works on all systems that I have found.

This combined with your Antivirus program (do you run Active Antivirus, Free or Paid) works well I find.

Regards -

I have resolved this issue, but I was a little surprised that it happened at all, so I'm posting here to see what others have to say.

I use Chrome as a browser and was reading a page today when I got a pop-up, complete with audio, telling my my computer was infecting with adware and to called Microsoft at a given toll-free number immediately. Of course it was a phishing scam. I had to turn my computer off the hard way, because the pop-up prevented me from closing the browser. I restarted in safe mode and ran a scan. Nothing found. I restarted in regular mode and declined the browser's offer to restart where it had left off. I ran a scan again - nothing.

No, that is not phishing just a fraud and a kind of scam.

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing