Malwarebytes stopping Outlook 2013 from connecting to Exchange hosted by Microsoft Office 365

Every 24 to 48 hours I will not be able to connect to the Exchange Server hosted by Microsoft Office 365.

Within seconds of exiting Malwarebytes it connects. Everything else I have tried it stays disconnected such as restarting Outlook, restarting my computer, etc.

Once connected I can restart Malwarebytes and it will work again for 24 to 48 hours.

When I lose my connection I can connect fine through everything else such as my phone, tablet, and web connect on the same PC.

So I am very confident it is Malwarebytes causing the issue, as it always connects again the second I exit Malwarebytes.

Any suggestions on how to get it to stop blocking Outlook 2013 connecting to Exchange Server?

I am not comfortable downloading a program from a website I never heard of (bleepingcomputer.com). The website looks pretty old and basic, the software I would download has no reviews or comments.

I would hope there are enough users of Office 365 and Malewarebytes where someone might have come across this issue before and found a solution, without having to load and run strange programs from strange websites.

Hi:

Bleepingcomputer is one of the largest, most reputable and busiest computer help fora on the internet.

The owner, @Grinler, and the developer of FRST, @Farbar, are both experts here at this forum.

They are both highly-respected members of the computer security community.

The FRST tool is merely hosted at bleeping.

And it is used 100s of times a day here and at other computer help fora.

It is perfectly safe.

There aren't (m)any similar reports of problems like the one you report.

And each computer is unique

So, without the diagnostic logs from FRST and mbam-check, there's not much we can do to help you here in the forum. :(

If you aren't comfortable with forum assistance, then you may wish to log a ticket with the Malwarebytes Support Team >>HERE<<.

They will assist you via email, instead.

Thanks again,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

Thanks for the update. :)

For the record, though, that link you posted is to a topic that is nearly a year old, based on an outdated version of MBAM.

(Also, if you are using MBAM on a work/business/educational/non-profit computer, the current program version is 1.75.  2.1.8.1057 is only for personal use on home computers.)

We haven't seen any similar reports here in the forum, but I hope that the Help Desk is able to resolve your issue. :)

Thanks again,

Thanks for pointing that out. As this problem has been around almost a year my hopes for them actually solving it have disappeared.

I am installing Bitdefender now, PC Mags editors choice for 3 years in a row. Also top choice for 3 years at AV-Test.

I hope this post helps others who are also experiencing a problem accessing Office 365 with Malewarebytes installed.

Hi:

I am installing Bitdefender now, PC Mags editors choice for 3 years in a row. Also top choice for 3 years at AV-Test.

Yes, Bitdefender is one of many fine antivirus products on the market. :)

(Unless I misunderstood, your post suggests that you may have replaced MBAM with BD?  For the record and for anyone who might happen upon this thread, MBAM is not (and never was) an antivirus.  It is a specialized anti-malware application designed to run alongside a real-time antivirus, to provide complementary, layered protection against a different range of threats. So, even with MBAM Premium, one always needs a robust, updated antivirus.)

If you are, in fact, running MBAM in a business or corporate or educational environment, then perhaps replacing your Consumer version with the current build of the Business/Enterprise version might resolve your issues?

If not, Tech Support folks would probably be the only ones able to help with the issue.

If you no longer have an open ticket there, you may wish to log a new one HERE

Perhaps our forum staff and expert members will have some other suggestions.

Thanks again,

LOL, Bitdefender locks up my Outlook 2013 every hour or so. I had this problem before and forgot why I stopped using it. Now I remember.

Now I am trying Webroot, also an editor's choice.

Not sure why these otherwise good products have so much problems with Outlook, it is a very popular application and many use it. I found out even malwarebytes uses Outlook and Office 365, it is amazing they do not have the same issue.

Well, it certainly is strange.

Yours is the first report of this behavior I recall seeing here in nearly a year.

I'm not saying it's not real. But it does not seem to be a widespread issue, at least here in the forum.

If you are trying many different AVs, it would be a good idea to be sure you completely and cleanly remove all traces of previous products before you install the next one.

This often requires the use of the software vendor's removal tool, if one is available.

Remnants and driver leftovers of past security applications could certainly explain at least part of what you describe (freezes and hangups and conflicts).

Webroot, in particular, can be very hard to fully remove.

We'd be happy to try to help you with your issue, at least the part that might involve MBAM.

But, doing so would require -- at least for starters -- the diagnostic logs from FRST and mbam-check that were previously requested.

And, again, replacing your Consumer version with the Business version on your Business computer might help, as well.

If not, Tech Support folks would probably be the only ones able to help with the issue.

If you no longer have an open ticket there, you may wish to log a new one HERE

Cheers,

• 4 months later...
  • Root Admin

Perhaps we're blocking an advertisement of spam that is in your inbox. We don't block any Microsoft IP addresses and if we were it should alert and log it in your logs. Please post your logs from the past week.

Also please post the requested logs otherwise there is no way we'll be able to assist you.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...