Take your mind off Win10; See a hacked rifle track you by phone

It was only a matter of time before someone would figure out how to hack TrackingPoint's Wi-Fi-connected smart rifle.

post-35425-0-73833700-1438304520_thumb.j

TrackingPoint makes an expensive smart rifle that easily lets novices hit targets a half mile away. It lets you digitally "tag" a target, then locks the trigger until the gun is perfectly positioned to nail it. And it connects to smartphones or tablets so a buddy can view what the shooter sees in the scope.

Now, two security researchers have discovered software flaws in the computerized rifle. Anyone near enough for a Wi-Fi connection to a rifle can remotely tinker with controls.

In the worst case, a hacker could force a police sniper to miss while shooting directly at a hostage-taking criminal -- and hit the hostage instead. Or a hacker could simply lock the rifle's controls, rendering it useless.(More)

Read the rest and see the video at: http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/29/technology/hack-smart-rifle

Steve

Yikes!

I'd better batten down the hatches!

Heading out for duct tape and Saran Wrap now.

@DD,

They now make bullets that can penetrate duct tape as well as Saran Wrap, even if used together.. :P :P :D

@FF

I've seen that particular rifle setup in several action movies.. It's sweet.. And if you have enough enemies, well worth the $27,000.

*grin*

Well I was going to buy one till I saw the price... $27,000....

Gee Firefox, I am glad we have decent gun laws in Australia these days. You would need to be in the Armed Forces to get these.

Unless you belong to a registered "Gun Club" or a registered rural (farmer) person then you would never see one of these. Then only with special permits ! !

That is the cost of a small car over here, and I could never see any reason to buy these guns.

(Just my personal opinion as usual)