MBAE & Edge browser in Windows 10

cjb

just a little more info:

I thought at one point that my microsoftedge*.exe had stopped working, but when I reboot and then launch Edge again, I get a notice that Edge is being protected by MBAE. Subsequent launches of Edge don't prompt the notice. Again, after a reboot, I launch Edge and again get the notice that MBAE is protecting Edge.

This makes me wonder if there is a process left behind by MS Edge that is supposed to make launches faster or something (purely speculation on my part.) I tried watching the processes using Sysinternals Process Explorer, but I can't spot the change. Could it be that this process that is left behind by Edge is what MBAE is hanging onto and thereby subsequent launches don't show the notice?

• Staff

Some conclusions so far:

1- There is a condition in the upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 which can cause MBAE to become unstable at startup and not be able to protect the Edge browser. Follow the steps in this post to solve this problem.

2- If MBAE is running correctly under Windows 10, you can create a custom shield for "microsoftedge*.exe" using the "Browser" profile to protect the Microsoft Edge browser.

Some conclusions so far:

1- There is a condition in the upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 which can cause MBAE to become unstable at startup and not be able to protect the Edge browser. Follow the steps in this post to solve this problem.

2- If MBAE is running correctly under Windows 10, you can create a custom shield for "microsoftedge*.exe" using the "Browser" profile to protect the Microsoft Edge browser.

Hi Pedro.

My installation of the latest premium version is working smoothly after upgrade to W10 and MS Edge opens and functions great with no custom shield, However when I add the shield you have posted (microsoftedge*.exe) Edge doesn't open. Remove the shield and voila no issue.

Just FYI :)

Ok, I have a question now. 

Steps I have taken so far to get things to work:

1.  Upgraded to Windows 10

2.  Added Shield:  MicrosoftEdge*.exe (Browser)

2.  Uninstalled MBAE

3.  Reboot laptop

4.  Installed MBAE

5.  Reboot Laptop

6.  MBAE recognized Microsoft Edge.

Here is where it gets confusing.

7.  I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware/MBAM.  Noticed this did not appear as an icon in my startups

8.  Opened MBAM successfully and closed program's window.  Icon still did not appear

9.  Redid #8.   Icon remained in running programs (can't remember name of this section - but on far left where all running programs appear).

10.  Closed Microsoft Edge and reopened - Did not receive a message from Malwarebytes MBAE that Microsoft Edge was protected (DID NOT REBOOT from step 6 to step 10)

Not sure if #10 is

a)  because that it reads Microsoft Edge the first time it was opened and will not appear again in the same open Windows session.

b)  Has something to do with MBAM being active at the same time.

Will reboot and test if it is 10 a AND if MBAM will start on new bootup.

Rebooted Laptop.

11.  MBAE & MBAM icons both appear in open applications (far right NOT far left as noted in Step #9).  I believe this is an issue specific to my laptop.

12.  Opened Microsoft Edge and receive notice that MBAE is protecting it.   

13.  Closed ME and reopened and did not receive the notice - THUS it appears that it is Option #b from above.

I'm glad that I was able to get this to work, because I swear by these products.

I do not receive a MBAE message each time I close and reopen Edge. Only the first initial use of Edge after a Boot up.

I don't have MBAM Premium running real time.

edit:

This 'one time' protection message Bug was mentioned earlier in a post that I now can't seem to find.

Thanks pbust.  I also am experiencing that I will not get the notice message the next time I reboot the pc.  I also will experience that MBAE will not always boot up after sequential reboots.  I believe that was also noted in previous posts.  I hope this will be fixed in 1.08 as well.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to spam hunter,I totaly forgot on how to enter that custom sheild (spartan.exe and browser_broker.exe,I open mbam and I just can't find sheild,logs,ect,I have seen it before but now I can't,regarding anti-exploit everything is working fine I understand that you are still investigating the edge browser.Thank you.

Until @pbust has a chance to better explain things, I think there may be some lingering confusion, based on this thread and on your other one in the MBAM Help Section here?

You wrote:

In reply to spam hunter,I totaly forgot on how to enter that custom sheild (spartan.exe and browser_broker.exe,I open mbam and I just can't find sheild,logs,ect,

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) does NOT have "shields".

Shields are part of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE).

MBAM and MBAE are different applications that work side by side to protect you, but they do so differently.

MBAE uses "shields", but MBAM does not.

I have seen it before but now I can't,regarding anti-exploit everything is working fine I understand that you are still investigating the edge browser.Thank you.

Edge works differently from other browsers, such as IE and Firefox.

There is more discussion about it HERE and in several other, related threads.

@pbust can explain better the status of MBAE protection of Microsoft Edge under Win 10. :)

Thanks for your patience,