Stevie D

[SOLVED] Browsers not opening with MBAE & Kaskpersky 16 (Firefox XPCOM)

All was working fine under Windows 8.1. After upgrading to 10, when opening Chrome, I get the pop-up message saying MBAE is now protecting Chrome, but then Chrome never opens. If I stop MBAE I can open Chrome, then once Chrome is open I can start MBAE and all works fine. But I have to do this every time I open Chrome. 

I tried changing the "CALL ROB" settings under advanced settings, as advised in a separate post. It didn't work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MBAE as advised on yet another post. It didn't work.

I have attached the requested logs.

The only way I can get a browser to start is if I completely stop MBAE protection.

Please help.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip

I have same problem with no browsers opening.

My problem is Kaspersky Internet Security version 16.00.614 .

With version 15.0.2.361 No trouble.

The moment I updated to latest version Kaspersky, browsers would not open.

I am not the only one with this problem, has been reported here and on Kasperskys forum,

Hello @richsidney & @kangaroo319.

In both these cases the conflict is with Kaspersky. We are in the middle of investigating this issue. It seems like it could be a bug whereby sometimes Kaspersky doesn't return the hooked API call correctly. We will continue investigating and report our findings to Kaspersky asap.

In the meantime I'll merge this thread with the existing thread on the subject.

Hello @richsidney & @kangaroo319.

In both these cases the conflict is with Kaspersky. We are in the middle of investigating this issue. It seems like it could be a bug whereby sometimes Kaspersky doesn't return the hooked API call correctly. We will continue investigating and report our findings to Kaspersky asap.

In the meantime I'll merge this thread with the existing thread on the subject.

Thanks for letting us know :)

Cheers

I certainly hope this issue gets resolved soon.

At this point I have withheld installing KTS  2016 and have remained with 2015 so as to keep MBAE installed. There are some major improvments with KTS 2016 for Windows 10

I don't want to stop using MBAE however, my Internet Security program is fundamentally important and does take priority.

Thanks for the logs TexAg.

I see you have Kaspersky 16. There is a known conflict between Kaspersky and MBAE which was introduced in Kaspersky version 16. Version 15 and earlier do not suffer of this bug.

We're still investigating the root of the conflict in order to send details to Kaspersky for them to fix it.

In the meantime either downgrade to Kaspersky 15 or temporarily disable the shields for browsers in MBAE.

PS: Merging with existing thread.

Having this Issue, Have Malwayre bytes anti malware / anti exploit and Kaspersky 2016 on windows 10. But the culprit is MBAE, if I disable it I can start up Chrome. Weird thing is they were working side by side until I restarted today now it doesn't work.

Running Windows 7, MBAE is preventing both Firefox and IE from running. With Firefox I get the message "could not load XPCOM." Disabling MBAE allows both browsers to run with no problems so I have to attribute the issue to MBAE. Anyone else experiencing this behavior? Thanks!

Hello and :welcome: , @Blackhawk:

Until @pbust arrives....

Are you running KIS/KTS 2016, by any chance?

If so, please see HERE.

(If so, as well, @pbust will probably merge your post into that thread.)

If not, please follow the steps in this pinned topic and then attach the requested logs to your next reply here in this thread:

[README FIRST] >>> Posts here need to include MBAE logs <<<

Cheers,

I have the same problem with browsers not opening with the 2016 version of Kapersky Internet Security on my newly reloaded Windows 7 x64 desktop machine, which I had reported previously.   I currently have MBAM Version 2.1.8.1057 and MBAE 1.07.1019 installed, (I was sent a link by pbust to download version 19 of MBAE, which has not fixed the issue).    I reported that this MBAE version did not fix the issue and have heard nothing back.

I also reported this issue to Kapersky and was sent information on how to add exclusions for Trusted applications in Kapersky's settings.   I added the two MBAE programs found in the list of running programs and clicked all options listed (Do not scan files before opening, Do not monitor application activity, Do not inherit restrictions from the parent process(application), Do not monitor child activity, Allow interaction with Kapersky Internet Security Interface, and Do not scan all traffic).    With all this done, my browsers will still NOT open unless MBAE is shut down.   Then everything works as normal.

When can we expect this to be resolved???

If you Deactivate the browser shields in MBAE (click on the Shields tab, then click on the browser name (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, etc.) one at a time, followed by clicking the Deactivate button.   The lock icon will show an open position once the browser shield is deactivated.    I found I had to do a reboot to activate the changes.    Once done,  all browsers will open with no problem if you have KIS 2016 running.   After this conflict with Kapersky is resolved perform the same steps by clicking Activate for each browser to reactivate the MBAE browser shield functionality.    Hope this helps!

A couple of weeks ago I posted information regarding a conflict between MBAE and Kapersky Internet Security, 2016 version that got updated onto my computer.  Once that occurred I was unable to open any of my three browsers (IE, Chrome, or Firefox - all updated to the latest version).  Only when MBAE or Kapersky were completely shut down, or I removed the browser shields from MBAE as instructed by pbust am I able to open the browsers.   I've worked with Kapersky online chat and followed their instructions to disable every component function one at a time - to no avail as their service is still running in task manager.     I'd like to know what your company is doing to resolve this issue as I've heard nothing in almost two weeks and can't find the original post online now to see if there was any followup.    Thanks for a response.

What's the latest update on browsers not opening with KIS 2016 installed? Only after I deactivate the browser shields in MBAE Version 1019 will the browsers open. Kapersky had me disable all the components to track down which may be causing a problem. No changes were seen unless I killed their Anti Virus Service using Task Manager or completely exited the application.

Just an update on this front:

We did an analysis of the conflict and sent it to Kaspersky asking them to fix it almost 10 days ago. We haven't heard back from them yet.

In parallel we will be attempting to fix the Kaspersky hooking bug ourselves in MBAE 1.08 when installed alongside Kaspersky. So far it works only in 32bit OS.

Just an update on this front:

We did an analysis of the conflict and sent it to Kaspersky asking them to fix it almost 10 days ago. We haven't heard back from them yet.

In parallel we will be attempting to fix the Kaspersky hooking bug ourselves in MBAE 1.08 when installed alongside Kaspersky. So far it works only in 32bit OS.

The unfortunate thing is any mention of the issue on the Kaspersky Forum simply goes unanswered/non responsive. :(

Actually, that's no longer the case. :)

See here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=328205&view=findpost&p=2455914

Thanks,

OK, thanks for that, however I had/have been following the KTS Sub Forum (where there is no response to posters on this issue) not the KIS Sub Forum so I missed that discussion. :)

I see now you have merged the information in the KTS Sub Forum with your link to KIS.

That works.

Just purchased and installed Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and now Firefox will not start.  Pop-up comes up saying "Couldn't load XPCOM".  So what gives?

Hello marjamar,

Have you Kaspersky Internet Security installed on your computer ? If yes could you try to uninstall it and check if Firefox is running ?

There is a thread talking about the incompatibility between both products:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/171078-browsers-not-opening-with-mbae-kaskpersky-16/page-3

Regards,