Malawarebytes with latest Kaspersky Internet Suite 2015

I have been told, and seen the same message in this forum, that Malawarebytes Pro can run along with other antivirus programs without any issues.   I see that some recommend putting exclusions in the other antivirus for the Malaware processes.   I have been running Malawarebytes with Kaspersky Internet Suite for several months with no issues.  However, this weekend I developed a problem with my computer hanging during the boot phase when the various startup programs are loading.   There is still activity, but it is so slow that I cannot even start Windows Task Manager.  

I worked for more than 3 hours on Sunday with a very qualified prosupport tech from Dell (I am using a Dell laptop/workstation with Windows 7 x64) on the issue.   He tried disabling different programs on startup, and finally concluded that Kaspersky was causing the issues, although not when protection started but later in the boot process.  We were successful in fixing the issue, however, by reinstalling an earlier version of KIS 2015 that I had saved from about a year ago.   When I subsequently opened a support ticket with Kaspersky, including a file they create that provides detailed configuration information on my computer, they insisted the problem was a conflct with Malawarebytes 2.1.8.1057.   They would not say clearly this is new to the latest version of KIS 2015, but they insisted the analysis showed the conflict with Malawarebytes.  I also had an issue at the same time with Firefox rejecting all https sites with invalid certificates.   I fixed that by replacing the file that stored certificates.   I think this came from Windows Update KB3079904, which I installed the evening before the problems began.   I guess this update could also be linked to the hanging problem, also, but the earlier version of KIS fixed it without any other changes. 

I am just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with newer versions of KIS 2015?   I was running KIS 15.0.2.361, which I actually installed on June 27.  I had seen some minor issues, such as Windows Action Center sometimes not recognizing KIS, but nothing serious before this weekend.   We tried an even newer version of KIS from the website during the service call, but it still had the hanging issues.  

At this point I will wait for a while to try the newer KIS again.   I did turn off realtime checking in Malawarebytes just to be safe.   However, I am just trying to gather more information to understand the problem.  Any suggestions are welcome.   I do notice that people are having problems with this version of Malawarebytes, but they seems to be mostly on Windows XP.  I also saw that KB3079904 is causing a lot of problems for different users.   This just complicates the situation.    Thanks.

I've been running Kaspersky Internet Security with Malwarebytes Premium for years now, and they never conflicted with each other. I didn't even added them in each other's exclusion list. Did you try adding Malwarebytes' folders and processes to Kaspersky's exception list?

Hello and :welcome: :

There was an issue with a database over the weekend, but AFAIK it only affected Vista and XP.

It had nothing to do with KIS.
And it was resolved yesterday.

MBAM 2.1.8.1057 has been in general release for several weeks and AFAIK there have been no reports of compatibility problems here in the forum, with KIS/KAV/PURE.

It would probably help to see a bit of system info.
Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

>>In addition, it wouldn't hurt to set mutual exclusions between KIS and MBAM. Let us know if you need help with that.

Thanks,

Thanks for your quick reply.   I cannot be sure if a conflict with Malawarebytes was the cause.   I clearly had issues with KIS 15.0.2.361, and no issues with KIS 5.0.1.415.   However, I have had that later version of KIS installed since June 27 with only minor issues noticed, so something (perhaps the database update you mention?) triggered my latest issues.   Kaspersky support suggested the conflict with Malawarebytes was the problem.   If so, it must be only with the newer version of KIS.  I do not have exclusions set between KIS and Malawarebytes.   However, I saw forum posts listing the files I need to exclude, so I can do that.   Frankly, I will probably just keep things as they are, and working, for some weeks while I wait to see if KIS or anyone else makes updates.  

I am going to attach the requested files so they are available for your review.   They are too long to paste into the message.  There is no rush.  However, I am interested if you notice anything.   It seems like several things much have come together on Sunday to cause my issues.   Thanks again.

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

This is primarily a business computer in a home office.  I am self employed.   I have uninterruptable power here, network drive for backup, and some heavy duty business applications.   However, there is no server or domain controller.   A Cisco small business router provides the DNS.  

Hi, @markslang:

Do you still need help with this?

I am running KIS2015 with MBAM 2.1.8.1057 under Win7/64 without issues.

(KIS2016 is now available; but it appears to be rather buggy. So you may want to wait a bit before upgrading.)

Your logs show that MBAM was installed back in June.

So, the first thing to try would be this:

• Please follow all the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x. NOTE: Although not strictly necessary, you may want to set mutual exclusions between MBAM and KIS. Let us know if you need help with that.
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt) --- NOTE: If you get to this point of running FRST again, please be sure to place a check-mark in the "Addition.txt" option" before running it again.  Then please post back a fresh set of all 3 logs.
Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

P.S. There may (or may not) be a licensing/EULA issue, since you are running the Consumer version of MBAM on a business computer (albeit for a home-based business).  We can refer you to the Support team to sort that out later, if need be.

Thanks for getting back.  I had been running KIS 2015 15.0.2.361 and Malawarebytes 2.1.8.1057 for about a month with no problems.   I suspect that something related to the Malawarebytes database issue you mentioned must have triggered the problems.   Perhaps something in that version of KIS changed how the database issue showed up.   We ended up taking KIS back to 15.0.1.415 and everything has been working fine since.  I wonder if you might also be running KIS 15.0.1.415.  I only had the newer KIS version because I noticed it on the website and made the upgrade.   I had not been prompted to upgrade.   The only other explanation would be that Malawarebytes updated its database while we were in the midst of trying different solutions without us really noticing.  The only other antivirus I have had on this computer earlier was MIcrosoft Security Essentials, which I removed normally.  After the weekend I noticed that Windows Defender had also been turned on somehow at some point, and I am not sure if that could have contributed.   I found the trick for disabling Defender so that is not a worry going forward.  Perhaps Windows turns this on when it notices no other antiivirus is active. 

I wil do the clean reinstall of Malawarebytes as you suggest just to be safe.   I am keeping KIS 15.0.1.415 for a while.  As you note, there is now KIS 2016, but I will wait a while to try that.   Kaspersky is still adamant that one should not have any other antivirus programs running with KIS, including Malawarebytes.  However, their install program (when last I tried) does not make you remove Malawarebytes as it does other antivirsus programs when they are found.  So I guess we should still be cautious about two realtime antivirus programs running.  

Hi:

Thanks for the update.

A couple of things:

1. The insistence of some AV vendors that MBAM cannot run with their product is based largely on marketing, not on bonafide compatibility issues.  MBAM is designed to be run alongside all of the major AVs.  Occasional issues do crop up from time to time, but those are usually sorted quickly by both vendors.  AFAIK, there are no current reports here in this forum (or at KL forum) of problems with MBAM 2.1.8.1057 and KIS2015.
  2. MBAM is not an anti-virus. It is an anti-malware, as explained here. It is designed to provide layered protection alongside an AV, as already mentioned.
  3. Rolling back to an older, outdated build of KIS2015 is not necessarily a good idea, from the standpoint of security or stability.  It would probably be better to cleanly upgrade to the current build (15.0.2.361), using the KAVremover tool and rebooting, to remove all traces, prior to reinstalling a clean download of the current stable, 2015 build. (The main KL product page will offer version 2016 now.)
    1. Alternatively, you might wish to try a clean upgrade to KIS2016.
  4. When you do, it's not strictly necessary, but it might be a good idea to temporarily uninstall MBAM with the removal tool and reboot before reinstalling KIS.  You can reinstall MBAM after you get KIS reinstalled, activated, updated and configured.  I have never had a problem with this approach over the years when upgrading KIS on multiple platforms (Vista, Win7/32, Win7/64).
  5. Finally, I'm still not quite clear about what the actual problem is that you report :(.  Can you please clarify the specific issue you are experiencing with MBAM 2.1.8.1057 and KIS2015???

So, we suggest that you please start with a clean reinstall of MBAM (and, preferably a clean reinstall of the current build of KIS 2015 or KIS2016).

If you still need help after that, then a fresh set of all 3 diagnostic logs would be most helpful.

Thanks!!

FYI.   I did do the clean reinstall of KIS 15.0.2.316 and Malawarebytes 2.1.8.1057.   I entered the entire Kaspersky program folder as exclusion in Malawarebytes, and the five individual files noted elsewhere on this forum as exclusion in KIS for Malawarebytes.    Everything seems to be working fine with KIS and Malawarebytes doing realtime checking.    This again suggests that my issues were probably related to the Malawarebytes database issue that occurred the weekend I had the issues. 

I had one small issue.  I had the realtime checking for Malawarebytes disabled after the temporary fixes I noted earlier I have been using since the problem occurred, so it was not normally running.   I started Malawarebytes before making any changes to check the options.   it updated its databases (which was good) but then immediatley started a scan that I had not asked for.   I went to the scan page and clicked to cancel the scan.   However, the program became unresponsive for a minute or so.  I am not sure what happened there.   Perhaps my install of Malawarebytes was corrupted in some way.   Any way, I just proceeded with removing first Malawarebytes and then (after reboot) KIS after things started responding again, and everything in that clean reinstall worked fine.   Whatever happened there was temporary, and it seems everything is fine -- so I am not going to worry about it. 

Thanks for the very excellent support here.  

Hi:

OK, great!
I'm glad you were able to sort things out. :)

For the record or anyone else reading this thread, the attached screen shot shows how to set the KIS exclusion in MBAM.
And the MBAM files listed below are the ones to exclude in KIS (Dashboard > Settings > Additional > Threats and Exclusions > Configure Exclusion Rules), and see here

Take care and surf safely,

P.S. I think you mean Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM), not Malawarebytes? (We would hate for you to land on a dodgy "spoof" website because of the misspelling).  And the current KIS2015 build is 15.0.2.361 (*C*), not 15.0.2.316. ;)
---------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it, as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

post-29793-0-45542400-1439060735_thumb.p