meatkakes

[SOLVED] ASUS conflict generating IE/FF Anti-HeapSpraying & Chrome flicker

Hello,

Hopefully this is the proper place to post. I recently have been having issues with Tor being blocked by MBAE. I had the block notifications begin to appear, so I would then delete the Tor install folder, and install the program again. It would then work until I either signed out or restarted. Sometimes it seemed to end up working if I waited a few minutes, or if I can a cleanup utility like Ccleaner or Privazer, but as soon as I restarted/signed out, I would be given the MBAE alert.

I eventually reformatted my system as it had been overdue for a while anyways. Things seemed to be operating as expected for a short time, and then even Firefox began to display MBAE block notifications. I really do not know what is causing this. I have two sets of logs. The first is for the issue when it seemed to be only happening with Tor, the 2nd is for when it started happening for Firefox and Tor.

What is also interesting to note is that the Firefox Nightly developer version seems to not be impacted. I would open up Firefox and Tor and have the block from MBAE, but Nightly operates as expected.

I hope the attached logs have some useful information. Thank you for any assistance.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.rarMalwarebytes Anti-Exploit 2.rar

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting ITC23.

This issue was reported a few hours ago at Wilders and I tried to replicate but was unsuccessful. We will try again in our QA environment to see if we can replicate and identify the problem.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting ITC23.

This issue was reported a few hours ago at Wilders and I tried to replicate but was unsuccessful. We will try again in our QA environment to see if we can replicate and identify the problem.

I've done a little more testing and it seems that 32 bit Firefox is impacted as well. The 64 bit beta and the 64 bit nightly seem to be unaffected.

I assume it is some kind of a false positive or odd conflict since it returned so quickly after totally wiping my system. Thanks for the assistance.

getting alerts for FF only but log shows exploit in FF and IE 11.  Disable program and launch browsers first then launch anti exploit and no alerts or exploits are noted.

Is any of you that can replicate this consistently open for a remote support session to debug the issue?

Interestingly, I downloaded and installed the beta of Firefox 64-bit (v40b9), and with exactly the same add-ons installed and enabled as for 32-bit Firefox 39, starting it does not trigger the MBAE alert that I get with 32-bit Firefox.

While we continue investigating the issue, feel free to temporarily disable the Anti-HeapSpraying technique:

MBAE UI -> Settings -> Advanced settings -> Application Hardening -> Anti-HeapSpraying Enforcement -> Disable for "Browsers" -> Apply

Sorry for the late reply, I think I've figured this out. So it seems that one plugin by itself won't cause the flicker, but if I run multiple plugins at once, it will. Even if I just run two plugins, it will flicker. For reference the plugins I use are: Ad Block Plus, Avast Online Security, Google Sheets, Google Docs, and Google Slides.

Thanks for confirming meatkakes.

We'll have our QA try to replicate this internally.

I downloaded the update for the security exploit that was patched and it won't allow the browser to open.

Which version of MBAE?  I downloaded the FF patch, and just now exited and restarted Firefox with no issues (Windows 7, MBAE 1.07.2.1015)

Hi Dan50,

please provide the MBAE and FRST logs in order for us to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Hi Dan,

unfortunately what you have attached is the C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit folder. What we need is the hidden C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit folder.

Hi @Ndallas75002 welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Can you please post both your MBAE and FRST logs? Instructions can be found in the "readme first" link in my signature.

Thanks!

Hi Dan,

Do you have Comodo installed by any chance? If so take a look at the workaround in the Known Issues list.

Please provide also the FRST logs. Instructions can be found in my signature.

Hello -   Firefox gets blocked when attempting to open. 

• MBAE 1.07.1.1015
  • FF 40.0  (but problem also occurred with v39)
  • Win 7 Pro
  • MS Security Essentials
  • otherwise clean running power system
  • Attached: MBAE user data directory, First.txt and Addition.txt
I've reviewed some of the posts, and I'm sorry of I've missed a solution.   :mellow:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

mbae-config.zip

Thank for posting @SoCalSienna.

Can you please try the following:

1- Close all ASUS processes and stop all ASUS services so that the following are not running any more:

() C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\1.01.02\atkexComSvc.exe
    (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.) C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AAHM\1.00.22\aaHMSvc.exe
    (ASUSTeK Computer Inc.) C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\1.02.22\AsusFanControlService.exe
    (CMedia) C:\Program Files\ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio\Customapp\AsusAudioCenter.exe

2- Start FF40 again. Does it run now?

3- If the above doesn't work, stop all of the following processes and services and try again:

(Binary Fortress Software) C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\DisplayFusion.exe
    (Binary Fortress Software) C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\DisplayFusionHookAppWIN6032.exe
    (Binary Fortress Software) C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\DisplayFusionHookAppWIN6064.exe
    (Binary Fortress Software) C:\Program Files (x86)\DisplayFusion\DisplayFusionService.exe

4- If the above doesn't work, stop MBAE by right-clicking on the orange/white shield icon on the system tray and choosing "Stop protection".

5- Open FF40 and disable all browers.

6- Start MBAE again and start FF40. Does it run now?

Pedro -

THANK YOU for the directions. :)  Firefox now opens fine, and MBAE does not block it.  The culprit was atkexComSvc.exe. :angry:   Feel free to mark this solved.

Optional Details

• The problem was solved after I tried the first item on your list (atkexComSvc.exe).  Using Autoruns, I selectively disabled the service, and did a reboot.  After the reboot, with MBAE running, Firefox opened normally. Problem solved.
  • I have an Asus Z87 Expert motherboard, and I think the atkexComSvc.exe file was installed along with whatever else I loaded when I built the PC.  Autoruns shows the service with a pink highlight, indicating the Description is blank.
  • Top Google result for atkexComSvc.exe: http://dyslexicanaboko.blogspot.com/2012/09/asus-com-service-atkexcomsvcexe-memory.html
    • It's a "Com Service that talks to the BIOS"
    • It has a memory leak, which sounds like a problem.  I have 32GB RAM, and haven't noticed.
    • I don't use the "Asus AI Suite" for overclocking, fan speed control, etc., so I don't expect to miss anything that relies on atkexComSvc.exe.

• Is anyone still reading?  Wow, you are a champ. :P   If you think I'm going wrong with any of this, please add a comment.

Thanks for confirming and for the additional details SoCalSienna.

This is not the first time we've had problems with crappy ASUS software so I'm not surprised about your findings.

Could you please send me a copy of the atkexComSvc.exe file? Actually if you can send me the entire "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\" that would be even better.

Either in a RAR with password to PM or via some file sharing site would be OK.

Thanks again!!