Beware relying on "Scan IP range" to find all systems

In the console under the "Client Push Install" tab I have been relying on the "Scan IP range" option to scan my network and detect all systems so that I could roll out MB.  Once all client installs had been pushed I naively assumed all systems were protected without verifying from a different source.  Well come to find out the scan IP range option missed about six systems, and yesterday one of the six picked up a conficker variant and I had to restore about 1 TB of data that got encrypted.  It was a long night.

I'm at fault for not verifying my system count from a second source, but I just wanted to warn those out there who may be doing the same that you should not rely on this option to find all systems.  The systems in question did not have the Windows firewall turned on, had power and were connected to the network, and had correct DNS entries.  So I'm not sure why they did not get detected.

• Root Admin

Difficult to say especially after the fact. System may have been rebooting or doing some other update and not responded. As you've said always best to get a verification of clients. We have a physical inventory of computers that is kept up to date and then we verify against physical to ensure deployments match.