Unable to access update server

Product :  MBAM Premium 2.1.8.1057

Since upgrading from 2.1.6.xxxx I have been unable to manually update the Database.  MBAM is set to automatically check for updates every 3 hours.  These automatic updates are downloaded and installed in the normal way.  However, if I attempt to update the Database manually I receive the message "Unable to access update server".  This behaviour has occurred for the past week since updating to 2.1.8.xxxx

T.

Hello Tabvla:

Let's begin here:

• Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x.
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and individually attach the 3 requested logs in a reply to this thread: Diagnostic Logs.
  • The 3 files, from Step 2, to be individually attached from your desktop are CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Copy and Paste them into a reply.
Then please reply with the status of your issue.

Thank You.

Thank you 1PW and AdvancedSetup for your replies and suggestions.

I note that if I am logged-in with an Administrator account then manual updates work as expected.  When logged-in with a Standard User account the message "Unable to access update server" is displayed when attempting a manual update.  Automatic updates work as expected.

This behaviour is inconsistent between 2.1.6.xxxx and 2.1.8.xxxx.   If this is a new design/security feature then that is OK but would like confirmation.  If this is a minor bug between the versions then perhaps it could be logged for a future fix.

To answer your questions, I am on a fast Broadband connection and the AV and FW have remained unchanged since before MBAM was installed.  So the only change to the system has been the 2.1.8.xxxx upgrade.

Thanks for your advice.

T.

• Root Admin

Remain un changed does not tell me what you're running though. If the program was setup under and Administrative account then scheduled updates should be running with the system account and be able to update automatically without user intervention. Manually trying to update rules on a limited user account should not work in any version of the program.

Ron, thanks for your reply.

In a W8.1 environment, in all previous versions of MBAM Premium, prior to 2.1.8.xxxx, manual updates could be implemented irrespective of whether the User was logged-in as an Administrator or a Standard User.  One simply clicked the option "Check for Updates" and MBAM would check and if available would update the Database.

The change in behaviour since the 2.1.8.xxxx update is that manual updates of the Database will only be permitted if the User is logged-in as an Administrator.

This is not a problem as the Automatic updates still install automatically when the User is logged in as a Standard User. 

T.

• Root Admin

I will try to double check and confirm that behavior if I have time or will check with our QA team and see if they can confirm. I know the option/feature has been requested many times in the past by many users but speaking from a security stand point to me it's just wrong to allow a "limited user" the ability to install or update "anything" that potentially affects the entire computer and other user accounts. So the ability to allow a "system" account do updates was implemented.

I have investigated this issue further and have found that it has nothing to do with "permissions" as such but is simply the incorrect message being displayed.

If one monitors Task Manager you will find that even though a message "Unable to access update server" is being displayed on the Dashboard, the update is in fact being downloaded and installed irrespective of the login status of the user (Standard or Admin).

If you keep Task Manager and the Dashboard open at the same time you will see that as the update task completes in Task Manager the message on the Dashboard changes from "Unable to access update server" to year.month.day.update number, which will be the latest update.

The conclusion therefore is that this is NOT a change in behaviour from 2.1.6 to 2.1.8 but simply that the wrong message is being extracted from the MBAM message depository.  MBAM is therefore working as expected and a user logged-in as a Standard user can initiate manual updates.

I believe that this now resolves the issue  (except of course for the correct message being displayed).

T.

You might want to make sure your Malicious Website Protection is still working after you see an Update error message while using a Standard (Limited) account.
Here is the MBAM IP Test site to test if Malicious Website Protection is working:
http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/
You should get a blocked popup message when you try to access that site.

You can also review the messages in the MBAM Protection Log in the History tab.

If you're interested, here is a topic about this issue:
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/170847-malicious-website-protection-problem-any-status-update/

You might want to make sure your Malicious Website Protection is still working after you see an Update error message while using a Standard (Limited) account.

Here is the MBAM IP Test site to test if Malicious Website Protection is working:

http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/

You should get a blocked popup message when you try to access that site.

You can also review the messages in the MBAM Protection Log in the History tab.

If you're interested, here is a topic about this issue:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/170847-malicious-website-protection-problem-any-status-update/

David, thanks for your feedback and the link...... you are making me very worried.... :excl:  :excl:  :excl:

I tested the link using both a Standard Account and an Administrator Account.  In both tests the page opened and I did not receive a popup message and neither is there any message in History.

What needs to be set to activate this protection...?   The settings that I have are in the attached composite Screenshot.

post-99649-0-35787500-1438013072_thumb.j

@Tabvla, I'm sorry I worried you, but I (and others) have the same concern with this issue.
I don't know what, if anything, you can do to make sure Malicious Website Protection works reliably with v 2.1.8.

I think you have confirmed other users are having this issue without realising it.
I would not have known about the issue until I clicked on the IP test site and found it didn't work, just as you did.
I only tried it because of a problem someone else reported.

I'm keeping an eye on the thread i linked to you to see if MBAM will offer a fix, new version, advice, etc. to fix this.
AdvancedSetup (Ron) is suppose to work with MBAM QA and Development Teams for this problem.
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/170847-malicious-website-protection-problem-any-status-update/?p=978682

calintexas has the best understanding of this issue from what i have read, and done the most testing.
Thank you calintexas !

Thanks David.

Tabvia, the cause of your issues may be different than mine and your computer may respond differently than mine. It's always best to follow the advice of a moderator, admin, certified volunteer, mbam employee, etc. While I feel at times (for me) this has gotten to the rub your tummy 3 times, clap with your hands behind your back and say "why me" 3 times, here's what I recall regarding Malicious Website Protection in the last couple of days:

* Once it's turned off, it can be difficult to get turned back on.

* Short of a mbam clean and re-install, it seem like it takes a successful update (when logged in as an admin or running mbam as an admin (after an exit and "run as administrator") when logged in to a LUA) of one of the databases that normally turns off Malicious Website Protection and then turns it back on as part of the update process to get it to come back on.

* I've used mbam-check to verify whether Malicious Website Protection was running or not. The test web page link is a lot simpler.

* I don't think I've had an instance that Malicious Website Protection was running when the DPL didn't indicate that it was running.

* A mbam clean and re-install when logged in as an admin will get Malicious Website Protection running again.

I have observed the successful database update phenomena you discussed in post #9 (although I can't verify that it works for me in both LUA and admin modes). An mbam-check (when logged in as an admin) should tell you what database versions are loaded. The mbam-check is always "run as administrator", but the results for me vary (zeroing out the database values when I log directly in to an LUA at computer start up). I discuss it all in Post 20 here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/170847-malicious-website-protection-problem-any-status-update/

Today's workaround plan is log in as an admin from computer startup, check out mbam status, "update now", log out of the admin account, log in to LUA, exit mbam, restart mbam using "run as administrator, check out that everything looks ok, mimimze the mbam taskbar window (to prevent creating addition mbam tray icons when I open the window). Pretty nutso. Will it actually work? Who knows. I'm hoping mbam figures the problems out soon. 

I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium) 2.1.8.1057

I am also having issues unable to access the update server after Database Version v2015.07.28.01

I had this same issue and I contact support they told me just to do a Mbam-Clean and than Install Malwarebytes Anti Malware again. So I did than and i tried to access the update server it worked. Now its not working again! Tired of this.

Now im having the same issue again.

Here is the log file

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Update, 7/27/2015 7:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, Failed, Unable to access update server,
Scan, 7/27/2015 7:39 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Context, Start:7/27/2015 7:32 PM, Duration:7 min 2 sec, Threat Scan, Completed, 0 Malware Detections, 0 Non-Malware Detections,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, Remediation Database, 2015.7.20.1, 2015.7.27.5,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.25.5, 2015.7.27.3,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, Malware Database, 2015.7.26.3, 2015.7.27.7,
Protection, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:41 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:42 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:42 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:42 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:42 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:42 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:42 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Scan, 7/27/2015 7:48 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, Start:7/27/2015 7:41 PM, Duration:6 min 18 sec, Threat Scan, Completed, 0 Malware Detections, 0 Non-Malware Detections,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:50 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:50 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:50 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:50 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 7:50 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 7:50 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Scan, 7/27/2015 7:57 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, Start:7/27/2015 7:50 PM, Duration:6 min 12 sec, Threat Scan, Completed, 0 Malware Detections, 0 Non-Malware Detections,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:01 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:01 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:01 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:14 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:14 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:14 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Protection, 7/27/2015 8:30 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 7/27/2015 8:30 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:32 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:46 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:46 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:46 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:46 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Manual, Malware Database, 2015.7.27.7, 2015.7.28.1,
Protection, 7/27/2015 8:46 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 7/27/2015 8:46 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:47 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/27/2015 8:47 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, 5,
Update, 7/27/2015 8:47 PM, SYSTEM, COMPUTER, Scheduler, AKA Domain Database, Failed, Unable to access update server, 2015.7.27.3, 2015.7.27.3,

(end)

malware version.docx

unable to access server.docx

• Root Admin

Okay  I have confirmed that a Limited User Account cannot update the database. Though they can do pretty much just about anything else with the program.

I cannot duplicate yet this issue of the Web protection module being broken by a LUA or Admin account stopping or updating, etc. so if in fact it is an issue I'll have to review that further to see if I can duplicate the issue or not.

At this time version 2.18 cannot update the rules database using a Limited User Account. It must either be run by the internal scheduled task (highly recommended method) or by an Admin level account if running an update check manually. Limited User accounts will try and fail with the AKA Domain error.

However initial testing under 2.16 seemed to operate in the same fashion but I was not specifically testing for LUA database updates in 2.16 - I will install and test on a system and try to verify if 2.16 has changed in this capacity or not.

Okay  I have confirmed that a Limited User Account cannot update the database.......

I really hate to disagree with someone (like Ron) who obviously knows considerably more about a subject than I do.  But with due respect, the statement made by Ron is NOT my experience.  If you refer to my Post #9 in this Thread I explained there what I am experiencing.  Having checked again this morning the situation remains unchanged.

Example

Assume the user is logged in with a Limited User Account (W8.1).  The user opens an instance of Task Manager and  the MBAM Dashboard and arranges them so that both are displayed.  The MBAM Database Version is yyyy.mm.dd.01.   The user now clicks on "Update Now".  The message "Unable to access update server" is displayed.

However, if the user monitors the activity in Task Manager they can see in the Process Name, CPU, Disk and Network columns that MBAM is in fact being updated.  When the update has completed in Task Manager the MBAM Dashboard updates and the Database Version is now yyyy.mm.dd.02.

Surely this means that the Database has updated..?   If not then the information being displayed by MBAM is incorrect.  Or..... I totally misunderstand what it going on.

T.

Update.  During the day I have checked this behaviour on XPSP3, Vista, W7 and W8.1 - and in all cases the behaviour is identical. 

T.

• Root Admin

I'm not seeing that same behavior Tabvia but Dublin70  also reported it.

My update acts like it's doing something but then ends and the version number does not change. I've only tested this on Windows 8.1 x64 with version 2.18 of MBAM using Admin level and Limited User accounts with a Paid Premium version. I have not used the Free version of the program for testing. Are you using the free or premium version in your testing?

I will try rebooting after a failed Limited User update and see if that makes any difference. Perhaps the graphics or video driver is somehow not updating fast enough on my virtual system to show it.

Thanks, I logged into the admin account and it updated the database today. I have it on auto to update but sometimes i just do it myself. I run a scan everyday. I hope with Windows 10 tomorrow coming out I hope everything will be working! They should fix that big that a non admin account cant update the database!

• Root Admin

I have updated this other post with my response. Yes, I was able to finally duplicate this. Due to my familiarity with the program I was closing it too quickly to notice the secondary GUI update.

Please see my post here for my response on this issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/170847-malicious-website-protection-problem-any-status-update/page-2#entry979790

Thank you everyone

Ron