2.1.8.1057 hangs at update?

Using win Vista home premium and today installed 2.1.8.1057 free, but, it hangs up at update and won't go any further.  I   uninstalled twice and reinstalled, same problem, so, went back to ver 2.1.6.1022, and it works fine. Now I am hesitant to install 2.1.8.1057 on my win 8.1 desktop.  I see were some win XP users get a error message, but see no information of problems with win vista?  It installs ok, but, just hangs at update???

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Let's try this first....

Thank You,

Firefox

Thanks, I had aleady downloaded the clean removal process but have not yet used it.  I reverted back to 2.1.6.1022 it it works just fine.  Will try your suggestions when I have some time.  I will also try installing 2.1.8.1057 on my 8.1 desktop and see what happens.

Thanks, just to let you know I tried installing 2.1.8.1057 on my other computer using Win 8.1 and got the same problem.  It hangs on update, too.  I am really disappointed since this problem did not occur until this latest verxion of malwarebytes.  I am going to uninstall it and return to the previous version until malwarebytes can get the bugs out.  I am concerned about the clean removal since I do not like disable my Norton 360 and have not had to do this to install earlier versions of malwarebytes.

Thanks, just to let you know I tried installing 2.1.8.1057 on my other computer using Win 8.1 and got the same problem.  It hangs on update, too.  I am really disappointed since this problem did not occur until this latest verxion of malwarebytes.  I am going to uninstall it and return to the previous version until malwarebytes can get the bugs out.  I am concerned about the clean removal since I do not like disable my Norton 360 and have not had to do this to install earlier versions of malwarebytes.

Firefox, just reinstalled 2.1.6.1022 and as with my Vista labtop it works and updates just fine on my win 8.1 desktop.  Question?  What in the latest version is causing the updates to hang the program up?  The problem must be in the latest version of malwarebytes, not my computers.

Yesterday, I let it run for about 30 minutes.  Today with my win 8.1 computer about 3 minutes.  How long should it take?  In the past it would start updating within a minute after a new install.

Please read the following and in your next reply ATTACH the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs

(the three files should be CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt)

Update, good news.  Uninstalled the older version with the malwarebytes clean uninstall and installed the newer version on my 8.1 computer and after about 5 minutes it successfully updated. Porthos, thanks for the tip about giving it more time to install the updates.  Will now re-try on my win Vista computer.

Update, good news.  Uninstalled the older version with the malwarebytes clean uninstall and installed the newer version on my 8.1 computer and after about 5 minutes it successfully updated. Porthos, thanks for the tip about giving it more time to install the updates.  Will now re-try on my win Vista computer.

There is more info in the updates due to the license enforcement.

I too experienced the seemingly endless database updating process upon first running 2.1.8.1057 (free), even after a complete uninstall and reinstall. Almost 5 minutes on a very clean Win7 machine with an i7 chip and 8GB of RAM. But what I am now seeing is, I think, worth mentioning. Subsequent database updates are also very slow. Not truly glacial - as in "Geez, is the program hung?" - but far, far slower than was the case in prior versions. It's routinely taking about 30 seconds just to check for updates, a process that used to happen within about 3 seconds. The download and install doesn't seem to be any faster now (I'm on a rock-solid 66mbps connection).

I notice in the release notes that one of the improvements is that the free version can now receive incremental updates. It would appear that this is not an "improvement" at all - receiving full database downloads was much faster. Someone might want to revisit this decision.