[SOLVED] Problems with Foxit PhantomPDF

rlkufrin

I am using Foxit PhantomPFD version 7.15 and beta 7.20 both crash when I attempt to convert a PDF to a word document. I have isolated the problem to turning Anti-exploit off run the conversion and then turn it back on. I had a prior problem with Foxit PhantomPFD that kept appearing as well and the update to 1.07.1008 fixed that. I tried the various switches in the advanced settings, but it didnt make any difference.

​A recent update to MBAE (v 1.07.1.1007) appears to be causing an error within Foxit PhantomPDF Business (v 7.1.5.425).  Whenever performing the OCR function within PhantomPDF,  Foxit reports that the OCR Engine is Corrupted and stops functioning.  Working with Foxit support, we discovered disabling the MBAE shield for Foxit Phantom allowed the OCR function to work as it did prior the latest MBAE update.

Can you confirm that this is a "false" positive or should I look into other possible faults within my Windows 7 system? 

Thank you.

Installed and rebooted.  Unfortunately, Foxit still reports OCR error and crashes with the MBAE 1.07.1.1011.  It also seems to be a bit of a setback because now removing the Foxit PhantomPDF shield still results in a crash (where the beta MBAE didn't).  Had to "Stop Protection" to get Foxit PhantomPDF OCR to function without a crash again. 

I've attached an updated Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip file.

Forgot the attachment (again), do'h.

Installed and rebooted.  Unfortunately, Foxit still reports OCR error and crashes with the MBAE 1.07.1.1011.  It also seems to be a bit of a setback because now removing the Foxit PhantomPDF shield still results in a crash (where the beta MBAE didn't).  Had to "Stop Protection" to get Foxit PhantomPDF OCR to function without a crash again. 

I've attached an updated Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip file.

Oops, forgot the attachment (again).  D'oh.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip

• Staff

Unifying both these threads together.

We were able to replicate these issues and find the cause of the problem.

It seems that Foxit PhantomPDF includes a component which has some self-protection / anti-debugging features. These are specifically PROTECTION.DLL and PROTECTIONRESSHARED.DLL and are the ones that are used for these operations. It seems that these self-protection components throw an exception simply for the fact that MBAE is injected into Foxit.

I don't see an easy solution to this as it is Foxit that is simply complaining that there is something hooking certain APIs within Foxit. I would imagine any other product that hooks APIs in Foxit would generate the same problem.

What we will do is try to contact Foxit to see if they can exclude/allow MBAE to hook APIs within Foxit when these operations are performed, as there is not much we can do on our end to fix this.