Protection logs disappear after reboot

dprout69

So in the latest version they brought back log population, however when you reboot the log is empty again.  Is this by design or is this a bug?

Personally unless there is some kind of huge performance hit, I'd appreciate it if the logs were left alone and showed me accurate results of what occurred on my computer over the last couple of week so that I can review them.  Put a time limit on the logs for anything greater than 30 days or something but don't keep erasing it every time I reboot.

• Staff

The logs don't auto-erase themselves. Not even after a reboot. You have to manually click the "Clear" button for the logs windows to get cleared.

Check to see if you have some other software doing "optimizations" on your system, like temp file cleaning, etc. I know in the past some of those so-called optimizers were deleting some MBAE files from the program data directory (C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit) and this could cause the log to be seem as if it's magically cleared.

1) Cleared log via interface file is deleted... I would expect this is default good behavior.  File is 7kb.

2) Load the file up with data (open a few programs).  The file responds as expected and increases in size... in this case I'm at 19kb.  Log is populated.

3) Reboot.  File size stays at 19kb.  Log is not populated.

4) I have confirmed that no other program is touching this file via auditing.

5) This is happening on two very different computers.

The file is present and data is populated.  Anti-Exploit is simply not reading anything beyond the current boot session.

Keep in mind they just added this back in to the current version to "Log protection Events".  I suspect this behavior is a bug as why would you leave the data there but not read it. 

• Staff

Hmm that's weird. It's not the same thing I'm seeing on my end. After a reboot the data is still there in the LOGS tab.

Can you try a fresh re-install and repeat your test to see if you still have the same behavior?

1- Close all apps

2- Uninstall MBAE from Control Panel

3- Delete C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

4- Download and install the latest version from our website

5- Repeat the test

Same behavior on both computers.  I also used an uninstaller to remove AE so as to remove all traces and it's still the exact same behavior.

Well for what it's worth I currently have Win 7 64 bit pro (not sure what you're using).  If you think of something simple it might be then I'd be happy to try it, but any in-depth attempts at trying to diagnose this would be pointless at this time as I plan to migrate to windows 10 when it comes out in a couple of weeks so anything else would be purely academic.  If it continues on with Win 10 I will certainly give it further effort. 

Hello Pedro,

I get the same behavior as dprout69 with the logs tab being cleared on every boot/reboot (Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit system). It also happens after a fresh install. The data seems to be retained in mbae-report.dat, however it is hard to verify positively as the file does not view in notepad correctly but I can see enough of the data to believe the info is being retained in the file itself, just not in the logs tab.

Hello Pedro,

Just to add:

I have no automatic optimizations or temp file cleaning done on my system, so that is not an issue...

Also, this was occurring in all of the experimental 1.07 releases as well as the current 1.07 release.

Edit: You posted an answer while I was making my post ;)  ...