MBAM 2.1.8.1057 Premium Launching UI at first scan of the day.

Hi there,

Just wondering if there is a setting somewhere I don't see to prevent the UI from launching for the first scan of the day.

On the previous version it would just update and run it's scan without launching the UI. It still does this for the other scheduled scans throughout the day.

It's not really a major problem or anything, just thought I'd ask if there was a setting or a way to prevent that.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome back:

If it's properly installed and configured, scheduled scans for MBAM Premium should run silently from the system account.

IOW, the GUI shouldn't launch at all on its own, especially during a clean, scheduled scan.

So, let's start here:

>>ALSO: you mention "first scan of the day".  How many scans are you running every day?

With MBAM Premium running alongside a robust AV, a daily Threat scan should be more than sufficient.

The critical feature of MBAM Premium is the real-time PROTECTION to PREVENT infections. Scans are only a 2nd line of defense to detect and remove malware that might have gotten past your defenses. ;)

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi daledoc1,

Thanks for replying, I'll give that first option a try and report back.

Regarding my "First scan of the day" comment, I see now that was incorrect looking closer at my settings.

I am indeed only scheduled for the one threat scan a day, I was looking at the update frequency (Hourly), sorry about that.

post-187147-0-69499700-1435940331_thumb.

I'll get back to you on the results of your first suggestion.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update and clarification. :)

>>Note: your daily scan is scheduled to run at 3:26 AM with a 23-hour recovery setting.  If your computer is not awake at 3:26 and you restart the system within 23 hours of that missed scheduled scan time, MBAM will try to "make up" the scan.  However, AFAIK, that "makeup" scan still ought to run silently, without opening the GUI.

Please let us know if the clean reinstall resolves the issue.

We can assist you with adjusting your settings in the scheduler, if need be.

If it does not resolve it, then please post back with all 3 logs attached to your next reply.

Cheers,

Thanks daledoc1,

I've done the clean reinstall now and will report back on whether that fixed the issue.

Regarding my scan time, that is a time when my computer is not awake so after starting up in the morning it picks it up and does the scan.

I went ahead and changed that to a more appropriate time that I know my computer will be awake.

Thanks for all your help and I'll get back to you in a day or two on the results of the UI opening.

Hi:

OK, thanks for the update.

Let us know how it goes.

{{For the record, you could test the process by scheduling another scheduled Threat scan task to run -- say -- a few hours from now.  Then you can check the Dashboard > History > Application Logs a short while after that.  If the scheduled scan has run as planned, without opening the GUI, then you should be all set.  You can then remove this "extra" scheduled scan task from the scheduler.}}

Cheers,

Thanks Ron, I am too!

I did just get another GUI launch after starting up my computer, it was apparently trying to update the database but my network connection was temporarily unavailable.

I am curious what is telling it to launch though, I have had network issues at startup a few times but this launch of the GUI is a new thing since I upgraded/ then clean installed 2.1.8.1057.

I'm posting the results of the FRST but the other tool (mbam-check.exeI am getting an invalid request when clicking the link for it.

FRST.txtAddition.txt

Thanks again!

• Root Admin

Well you are getting some errors - not sure what all issues you're still having.

If you need further help then I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Application errors:
==================
Error: (07/03/2015 01:01:05 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (EventID: 5973) (User: JUNIOR)
Description: Activation of app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1 failed with error: -2144927141 See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Error: (07/03/2015 01:01:05 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell) (EventID: 5973) (User: JUNIOR)
Description: Activation of app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1 failed with error: -2144927141 See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Error: (06/28/2015 00:10:11 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (EventID: 513) (User: )
Description: Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

Error: (06/27/2015 11:54:16 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (EventID: 513) (User: )
Description: Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

No, not saying you're infected only that something is causing those errors and the scans required to possibly find and fix them can currently on be used in that other forum.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll work on those errors.

Back to the original problem, it is definitely not fixed, after turning on my computer this morning the GUI once again launched.

Since the scheduled scan time has been changed to a time (9:27AM PDT) when I know my computer will be on it, wasn't related to that.

I can only relate the action to MBAM launching when it is catching up on previously scheduled database updates.

There was no network error this time like I mentioned in post #10 so it seems it is only when catching up on previously scheduled database updates.

I am attaching another mbam-check result after running it again just now.

CheckResults.txt

If there is any other log or info that will help narrow this down just let me know.

Thanks again.

This is the log from the time I started my computer,

Malwarebytes Anti-Malwarewww.malwarebytes.org  Update, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Scheduler, Malware Database, 2015.7.4.1, 2015.7.4.2, Protection, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Protection, Refresh, Starting, Protection, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping, Protection, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped, Protection, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Protection, Refresh, Success, Protection, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting, Protection, 7/4/2015 7:21 AM, SYSTEM, JUNIOR, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,  (end)

What work is that?

I am trying to find out why MBAM is launching itself.

The other logs and repair tools to diagnose and fix your problem can only be used by the experts in the other forum area Just because it says Malware removal help does not mean only malware is removed there. 

If you need further help then I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.