Unable to access update server

I've been seeing this message too.  From memory it first appeared about the time of the opening post above.  I solved it then by updating from v2.1.4 to v2.1.6.

It started appearing yesterday as well.  Checking here, I see that a new version, v2.1.8 has just been released, so I'm guessing that it's related to the new version appearing.  This appears to be confirmed since if I uncheck the Check for program updates when checking for database updates setting in the Update Settings, I don't get the message.  Check the setting, and the message returns.  So there is a bit of bug in the update process.

As far as I can tell, the database is being updated correctly, e.g. at 06:11 GMT on 2 July 2015 I just got v2015.07.01.05.

This is using the free version of v2.1.6.1022 on Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. 

Hi, ataraxy:

try to do an update and I get the same error: : Unable to access update server

This is actually an older thread, based on what is now an outdated program version. :(

There are many possible explanations for that particular error.
It could have been a temporary server hiccup, due to high traffic.

But it can also be caused by inaccurate system date/time (due to a bad CMOS battery or improper configuration), software conflict, networking/connectivity problems, or perhaps malware.
IOW, problems that sound "the same" may have different causes and solutions, since each computer is unique.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

So, we can better assist you if you would please do the following:

• Please read the following to produce the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt) and save them to your desktop.
  • Then, please attach those 3 logs to a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic using this clickable cjfj.png button.

The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide you individual help to get you up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Thanks daledoc1.

Just to clarify, my intention was to report a solution, and a probable bug.  Since I have found a solution to the problem, i.e uncheck the Check for program updates when checking for database updates setting, I am not looking for help.

Do you still need me to generate the diagnostic logs, i.e. is this necessary to get the bug investigated?

Thanks daledoc1.

Just to clarify, my intention was to report a solution, and a probable bug.  Since I have found a solution to the problem, i.e uncheck the Check for program updates when checking for database updates setting, I am not looking for help.

Do you still need me to generate the diagnostic logs, i.e. is this necessary to get the bug investigated?

It's up to you.

It's possible that your solution may have been a coincidence for a one-off hiccup.

Can you replicate the behavior whereby, with "check for program updates" enabled, updating fails, but with that setting disabled, it succeeds?

And is this only when starting/restarting the system?

In any event, the logs would probably help the QA team to determine what the problem might be -- if it wasn't a one-off situation.

And it would be best accomplished in a new, separate thread, for individual support.

Up to you. :)

Thanks,

Hi:

I have a similar issue - see https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/168554-access-update-server/#entry973602

Try unchecking the Check for program updates when checking for database updates setting in the Update Settings.  If I do that, the Unable to access update server message does not appear.

Actually the 2 problems are NOT likely to be the same. :(

You reported a different issue: "unable to access server" error message (at least that was the error reported by the OP in the other thread).

The OP here is reporting : "the 'update now' link is not clickable"

Moreover, as we mentioned, each computer is unique.

Rather than speculating, it would be preferable for the OP either to provide the requested diagnostic logs, or to seek help at the Help Desk.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Can you replicate the behavior whereby, with "check for program updates" enabled, updating fails, but with that setting disabled, it succeeds?

Updating is not failing, since the database is being updated, e.g. I just got v2015.07.02.03.

The problem is that rather than reporting a successful update, Malwarebytes is reporting that it is unable to access the update server.

My solution is repeatable.

And is this only when starting/restarting the system?

Starting and stopping the system does not have anything to do with this problem.  It only occurs when manually updating the database.

I'll have a look a running the diagnostics and see whether I have time to do it.

Hi, ataraxy:

Thanks very much for the clarification.

That particular error message ("unable to access the update server") could be due to intermittent server load/traffic or a cdn issue.

But it can also be caused by inaccurate system date/time (due to a bad CMOS battery or improper configuration), software conflict, MBAM glitch, networking/connectivity problems, or perhaps malware.

Sorry, but it's impossible to say without basic logs, for starters.

If you prefer to be assisted at the Help Desk, rather than here in the forum, you may wish to log a ticket with the support team >>HERE<<.

Thanks for your understanding,