Product : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (paid-for version)

OS : W8.1; W7; Vista; XPSP3 (numerous computers and configurations)

I have the following questions: -

Q1 - What is a "Free Lifetime License" ?

Q2 - Which customers qualify for this type of License ?

Q3 - What does "Lifetime" mean ?

Q4 - Where do I get one ?

T

• Staff

Hi Tabvla--

As you're probably aware, of last year Malwarebytes stopped selling lifetime licenses completely and we now only sell subscription-based licenses.

There may be some confusion because we currently have a temporary program in place that is designed to help some of our existing Lifetime License customers who may have unknowingly purchased a bad license. 

Unfortunately many of these customers purchased from unauthorized resellers who were selling counterfeit or otherwise unauthorized license keys.  We’re offering these customers a chance to transfer their old license key to a new replacement key that is fully and correctly provisioned in our licensing system.  This way we can better protect their license and prevent any future unauthorized abuse on their unique key going forward.

Hope that clears up any confusion!   :) 

Thanks for the explanation.

I will relay that information to my clients.  Some of those clients are not going to be overly happy with my answer as they have been honest, loyal customers who have always paid for their software.  They won't be happy with the thought that "customers" (pirates) who did not pay are rewarded with a free licence in perpetuity.

But I will try my best to placate those who will be particularly grumpy - in some cases that won't easy.

T.

• Staff

Thanks, Tabvla.  We appreciate your help and continued support.

And I certainly understand your clients' concerns.  But what if one of your clients had purchased one of these licenses from someone in good faith, believing they were being honest and doing the right thing?  They should not be penalized.  It's these users we're trying to help with the program, not the pirates.  

I fully appreciate the reasoning behind the decision taken by Malwarebytes management.  Without knowing the detail it would be inappropriate for me to comment as to whether this decision was the best in the circumstances.  Perhaps there was a better solution, perhaps not.

However, when making this decision, someone sitting at the table during that meeting, must have said "There are going to be a lot of disenchanted customers out there - how do we manage them?".  You know what its like.  People will wait uncomplaining in a queue, checking their messages - that is until some moron jumps the queue, then that little old lady who would not hurt a fly transforms into a raging tiger that rips the poor unfortunate moron to shreds.  This decision has flavours of queue-jumping.

T.