Database Failing to Update in Australia using v2.1.8

G'day ;)

Please bare with me I'm having the same issue in Australia using v2.1.8 Premium register as a lifetime user and I've been using MBAM for a very long time, anyway as I said I'm having the same problem in Australia as posted from https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169825-database-failing-to-update/however I'm instructed by daledoc1 reply #25 to start a new topic.

When I turn on my laptop during the boot up internet online and when MBAM show up on my screen saying unable to update server with a yellow dot colour showing, and I waited about 10mins because my realtime schedule setting check for update starts 10min later and it automatic update the Database no problem and issue at all.

The Database Failing to Update straight after the boot-up when going online because it keep saying unable to update server with a yellow dot colour showing, and when I did a manual update straight away before the automatic 10mins update starts.

Chow.

Hello and :welcome: , SpeedyPC:

The particular message suggests that something is preventing MBAM from phoning home.

There are many possible reasons for update failures (e.g. incorrect system date/time, software conflicts, corrupt MBAM install, system configuration issues, networking problems, malware and -- rarely -- cdn/sever problems).

As you are in OZ, it's unlikely your problem is directly related to that reported by the Canadian users.

For now -- assuming your system date and time are both correct -- I suggest the following, please:

First, please follow the steps previously suggested here and report back with the results of both steps:

1. please do this and paste the results from command prompt

tracert data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

2. also please click on this url and let me know the results of what happens in your browser. Does it time out or give a database version #

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/v1/database/rules/version.chk

Next, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thanks,

Hi,

Our posts crossed in cyberspace.

You wrote:

I've forgot my current database is v2015.06.28.02

That is showing as the current database for me, as well.

I understand that we are in very different time zones.

However, it may very well be the CORRECT and CURRENT database version.

(When there's not a lot of new, active malware in circulation, database updates may be somewhat less frequent.)

If that doesn't explain your issue, please follow the suggestions in my previous reply.

Thank you,

Hi:

Thanks for the data.

I think the staff would have preferred if you had posted back with the actual results of the "tracert data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" test. ;)

However, until a staff member can review your logs, I don't see anything obviously wrong.

1 thing to check:

If you have MBAM configured in the scheduler to "update on reboot", and if that is the only time you are getting the error message about contacting the server, you might want to remove that task.  That, and/or your realtime update checks may be the culprit.

There have been several reports of crashes and update failures when that particular task is scheduled.  The QA team is aware of it.

It may be a situation where networking is not yet up and running, but MBAM is trying to phone home.

(I personally use hourly update checks (with no "recover if missed by" setting) and I do a manual update check as soon as the system has booted and settled down a bit.)

EDIT: "Realtime" update checks really aren't necessary, especially every 10 minutes. There are typically 6 to 12 new databases per day.  If you're set to check for updates every 10 minutes, that's 144 update checks per day, most of which will NOT have a new database available.

1 other thing to try:

It looks as if your upgrade to 2.1.8 was "on top" of a previous build.  You might want to try a CLEAN reinstall. To do so:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: The MBAM 2.1.8 installer is NOT YET available at the usual download page. So, when you get to that step in the process please use THIS LINK to download it (otherwise you'll be reinstalling version 2.1.6):
      • If you use the NoScript browser extension, you'll need to enable "box.com" and "boxcdn.net"

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

G'day daledoc1

I've got it

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>data-cdn.mbamupdates.com
'data-cdn.mbamupdates.com' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\System32>ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Pinging d24tt36b8at1z5.cloudfront.net [54.230.133.145] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 54.230.133.145: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=52
Reply from 54.230.133.145: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 54.230.133.145:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 13ms

C:\Windows\System32>

Chow

Hello SpeedyPC  :welcome:

Your database set is very much current.   As shown by what you reported as well as by the version.chk report with the browser.

Yours is fine.

Some of our update servers are very busy this morning.  In any event, your program does have the current database set.

Hi:

Thanks for the ping results.

Actually, though, what they're looking for is this:

Here's an example of the output from another user (one of the folks in Canada): https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169825-database-failing-to-update/page-2#entry972565

Staff will correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect the error you're seeing -- and when you're seeing it -- probably relates to your scheduled updating task settings.

The behavior you report may be related to the known issue with updating upon system restart with the new build.

But, if you were to set your updating schedule to the default and recommended setting (hourly), you would probably be less likely to see the error messages.

Ennywho, I will defer to the expert help of the Malwarebytes staff -- please try to be patient, as it is the weekend where most of them are based.

Cheers,

Hi, and Happy Sunday, Maurice: :)

Your database set is very much current.   As shown by what you reported as well as by the version.chk report with the browser.

Yours is fine.

Some of our update servers are very busy this morning.  In any event, your program does have the current database set.

Thanks for your confirmation. :)

I was pretty sure the OP was on the current db.

We were just trying to resolve the error messages the OP reported. :)

I expect it might be a combination of his scheduled updater settings and PERHAPS the crashes/update failures I and several others have reported with the new build.

Cheers,

G'day daledoc1,

Hi:

Thanks for the ping results.

Actually, though, what they're looking for is this:

As request.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Tracing route to d24tt36b8at1z5.cloudfront.net [54.230.133.145]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     9 ms     8 ms    10 ms  10.65.0.1
  2    10 ms    11 ms    10 ms  riv4-ge7-0-5.gw.optusnet.com.au [198.142.165.61]

3    66 ms     8 ms     9 ms  59.154.142.132
  4    41 ms    14 ms    12 ms  Bundle-Ether16.ken-edge901.sydney.telstra.net [1
39.130.28.253]
  5    24 ms     9 ms    11 ms  ama1663225.lnk.telstra.net [165.228.50.190]
  6    12 ms    12 ms    11 ms  54.240.203.56
  7    14 ms    11 ms    10 ms  54.240.192.151
  8    12 ms    10 ms    11 ms  server-54-230-133-145.syd1.r.cloudfront.net [54.
230.133.145]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>

Yours is fine.

Thank you for your current Maurice Naggar I was a bit worried if I had the same issue as the Canadian users, and I haven't done a clean installed just yet do you strongly believe I should do a clean install, since I've done an update of v2.1.8 over the top of v2.1.6.

Hi DD,

Yes, I agree it has to do with the timing selections made in the scheduler.  It is hardest to do if you expect an update run immediate to a bootup / startup.

What is the best way to slow down the issue, and I've already set the check for update in my scheduler an hour instead of realtime as I said before I've never had this issue since v2.1.6 which is seem strange.

Chow

Hi, again:

The default and recommended frequency for scheduled update checks is hourly, with a recurrence every 1 to 4 hours.

These scheduled, hourly update checks will be randomized +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time, by design, to balance server load.

I do not personally use the "Recover if missed by..." advanced setting, in order to avoid the type of error you report, whereby MBAM is trying to update before networking is fully established and while other important startup tasks are running.

As Maurice likewise advises, trying to update during a system start *can* lead to the sorts of errors you report.

(Indeed, my AV's default is to check for updates 15 minutes after a reboot.)

Whenever I cold start the system, the next scheduled update check would be within the next hour or so, give or take a few minutes.

However, I prefer to do a manual update check as soon as the system has booted and quieted down.

That way, I keep my database current, but avoid potential "race conditions" or glitches with updating during booting, etc.

As I mentioned, the error you report (as well as application crashes on some systems) upon system startup is a known "issue" with the current 2.1.8 build.

The QA and dev team are aware.  I expect there will be a fix for this with a future build.

TMALSS, HOURLY with a recurrence of EVERY 1 HOUR, with NO "Recover if missed by" setting ought to reduce the frequency of these errors.

If you happen to reboot the system within that 30-minute window of a scheduled hourly update check (+/- 15 of the scheduled time), you might still see it once in a while.

Your mileage may vary, but I hope this helps to explain....

The MBAM staff and product team may have more and/or better advice.

Cheers,

G'day daledoc1,

Thank you very much for your support which you have been so helpful and including Maurice Naggar for his feedback too, any way just to let you know everything seem back to normal and it seem the realtime update checks may be the culprit while booting up before reaching the internet online.

As I mentioned, the error you report (as well as application crashes on some systems) upon system startup is a known "issue" with the current 2.1.8 build.

The QA and dev team are aware.  I expect there will be a fix for this with a future build.

Understood the above quote.