I would like my money back

On this note... This amnesty program is an olive branch to the tons of people who actually paid someone but not Malwarebytes for the program .  They might have any way to show proof of the purchase any more because the scammer has moved on. These people actually wanted the features to actually pay for it . You cant fault people for looking for a SALE in this economy today.

YES pirates got it too but that will come to a END when the new tech in malwarebytes is enabled and that will at least slow the pirates down.

How about a PayPal/bank receipt?

That is indeed one reason why we're being generous. We realize some people paid someone for a pirated key. When the next stage comes, we will feel a lot better about who we've licensed correctly and we will be able to tighten more down.

Microsoft is essentially doing the same; People who pirated Windows 7 or 8, get a free upgrade to Windows 10. The big difference is that their license will still be invalid. Again, I feel the approach MB is taking to this is wrong. I am just one paying customer, but I am sure there are many others out there that feel exactly the same way; betrayed.

MalwareBytes is currently offering FREE LIFETIME LICENSES to users of pirated copies. Here's how it works:

If you're using a pirated copy, i.e. using a pirated key, you will get a popup telling your license is invalid. The popup will offer you two choices:

1) If you don't know where your license came from or if you've simply downloaded the software, you get the option to obtain a license for 12 months for free.

2) If you're sure you've bought the license you're using, you get the option to obtain a LIFETIME LICENSE for free.

Simply clicking option 2, even when using a pirated version, will instanly give you a free lifetime license. It doesn't ask for any proof to show you've actually bought the license. Just click option 2 and presto; Free lifetime license.

This is insane. MB, if you are handing out free lifetime licenses to pirates, then I would like my money back as well.

Hi I bought a game 3 years ago it cost me 60 euro, now it cost 10. I would like my money back. THIS IS YOUR LOGIC.

MalwareBytes is currently offering FREE LIFETIME LICENSES to users of pirated copies. Here's how it works:

If you're using a pirated copy, i.e. using a pirated key, you will get a popup telling your license is invalid. The popup will offer you two choices:

1) If you don't know where your license came from or if you've simply downloaded the software, you get the option to obtain a license for 12 months for free.

2) If you're sure you've bought the license you're using, you get the option to obtain a LIFETIME LICENSE for free.

Simply clicking option 2, even when using a pirated version, will instanly give you a free lifetime license. It doesn't ask for any proof to show you've actually bought the license. Just click option 2 and presto; Free lifetime license.

This is insane. MB, if you are handing out free lifetime licenses to pirates, then I would like my money back as well.

Hi I bought a game 3 years ago it cost me 60 euro, now it cost 10. I would like my money back. THIS IS YOUR LOGIC.

False. By your reasoning, my logic would be: Hi I bought a game 1,5 years ago. It cost me 60 euros, now you are giving it away for free. I would like my money back.

This is about about a one time charge of like $25.00 if you purchased the Pro LifeTime license or $25 per yr coverage for 3 pc's.?

Seriously?

What's that, like 10 soda's?

As Marcin has said, if you feel cheated, give us your MBAM Cleverbridge ID number and we'll request a refund.

This is about about a one time charge of like $25.00 if you purchased the Pro LifeTime license or $25 per yr coverage for 3 pc's.?

Seriously?

What's that, like 10 soda's?

As Marcin has said, if you feel cheated, give us your MBAM

Cleverbridge ID number and we'll request a refund.

Who are you referring to? I gave you my cleverbridge number, my refund has been processed already so...???

False. By your reasoning, my logic would be: Hi I bought a game 1,5 years ago. It cost me 60 euros, now you are giving it away for free. I would like my money back.

And isn't it? I can't believe my own eyes and even more, can't believe that people from Malwarebytes have agreed to refunding that.

By buying a license (and I have valid, issued by Malwarebytes, lifetime one) you've expressed your belief that MBAM is one of the best products in the market - which it is. That it's worth support. This has to be worth some money. And now, after using it sometime, you want to be refunded because the company behind it decided to be responsible and allow some of its customers to also get a legal version if they were robbed by someone. Not many customers still keep their original version of messages with payment details, me included, just the license details. Why should they be punished for having some good faith in people and because they got cheated? This is not the famous Islamic State nor Soviet Union that everyone should treat each other as liars and enemies. In every group you'll find a black sheep, which doesn't mean whole group should get punished.

Moreover, what Malwarebytes does from long period of time, including offering its technology to cure infected machines, is something called Corporate Social Responsibility. Your demands looks like you never heard of it, so how about checking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility

In other words: they could maximize their income and yet they decide to let people use what they developed for free under some conditions, because that's what good people do.

And by demanding the refund, you are just like those who convince people to buy pirated license. Instead of supporting the company that does something for common good, which you can do (because you did that already) you decide to be selfish.

I think people from Malwarebytes do one piece of good job and everyone buying their software just express that belief. They let Malwarebytes do their job, create more amazing software. Money isn't all that matters.

And isn't it? I can't believe my own eyes and even more, can't believe that people from Malwarebytes have agreed to refunding that.

By buying a license (and I have valid, issued by Malwarebytes, lifetime one) you've expressed your belief that MBAM is one of the best products in the market - which it is. That it's worth support. This has to be worth some money. And now, after using it sometime, you want to be refunded because the company behind it decided to be responsible and allow some of its customers to also get a legal version if they were robbed by someone. Not many customers still keep their original version of messages with payment details, me included, just the license details. Why should they be punished for having some good faith in people and because they got cheated? This is not the famous Islamic State nor Soviet Union that everyone should treat each other as liars and enemies. In every group you'll find a black sheep, which doesn't mean whole group should get punished.

Moreover, what Malwarebytes does from long period of time, including offering its technology to cure infected machines, is something called Corporate Social Responsibility. Your demands looks like you never heard of it, so how about checking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_social_responsibility

In other words: they could maximize their income and yet they decide to let people use what they developed for free under some conditions, because that's what good people do.

And by demanding the refund, you are just like those who convince people to buy pirated license. Instead of supporting the company that does something for common good, which you can do (because you did that already) you decide to be selfish.

I think people from Malwarebytes do one piece of good job and everyone buying their software just express that belief. They let Malwarebytes do their job, create more amazing software. Money isn't all that matters.

Nowadays, mailbox sizes are over 25GB+. Why would you delete an email, let a lone one with licensing details in it? That's just plain stupid.

Why does MB offer a free 12 month license to people that actually acknowledge they're using a pirated version? That argument is not covered in your explanation.

Nowadays, mailbox sizes are over 25GB+. Why would you delete an email, let a lone one with licensing details in it? That's just plain stupid.

That's not the norm.  It is more like 1 ~ 2GB and usually an attachment ( with overhead ) is no more than 10MB. 

There are some systems that are greater than 10MB but with email, its always the least amount.

For example, a SMTP Server may allow 20MB but the receiving POP Server only 10MB and so the limitation, without getting a failed mail reply, is 10MB.

That's not the norm.  It is more like 1 ~ 2GB and usually an attachment ( with overhead ) is no more than 10MB. 

There are some systems that are greater than 10MB but with email, its always the least amount.

For example, a SMTP Server may allow 20MB but the receiving POP Server only 10MB and so the limitation, without getting a failed mail reply, is 10MB.

My payment receipt and cleverbridge license mail do not have any attachments, so sorry I disagree.

Why does MB offer a free 12 month license to people that actually acknowledge they're using a pirated version? That argument is not covered in your explanation.

I didn't mean not keeping license details. I meant not keeping payment details. If you do a lot of transactions, some of them will start to mix with all other mails after some time. That's why I delete them, just as no one keeps shopping cash receipts for things they buy and use in their homes - hell, most of them even won't survive longer period of time. If someone came to you and asked about cash receipt for buying, e.g. a fridge 10 years ago - are you sure you have it available? Some people treat buying of AV program as one and done operation, not as something to remember about years in the future. It's supposed to work, period. Being scammed, when you often don't get a proper receipt is another thing. And it's not the customer who should be punished for scam.

I did provide such explanation. This is the part of their business. People who bought pirated copies in most cases were not aware of that fact. Would anyone pay for something that is openhandedly advertised as 'stolen'? And now, when they get informed by their product that their license is invalid, when they get acknowledged of that fact, they have the opportunity to be treated as customers, not as the source of cash.

Why even concern yourself with that?

You were given a refund for a purchase from 1 1/2 yrs ago.

Our refund policy is 30 days.

So should we deny any other request like your's?

We are here to help people.

We're not money driven.

We don't take your money and run.

We give free support even to those that use MBAM Free.

Our Free version removes the same infections, when a manual scan is done, as our paid version.

We hate malware and do whatever it takes to kill it.

I really do empathize.  From your point of view "cheaters" are getting a free ride.  While my politics about piracy are different, you're reaction is fair.

If you accept that, can you perhaps consider what other course you might have to rectifying the situation?  As pointed out there's a ongoing effort to clean up the database of valid licenses.  A case by case basis right from the start might simply be logistically impossible or take too much up in resources to be infeasible.

Do keep in mind that the company didn't expect this growth and the initial business model of one time payments for what is essentially a service may not be able to sustain such an operation.  Now that they are in the position to address the issue, this was probably deemed the best solution going forward.

A parallel you might be familiar with already in real life are amnesty periods offered to illegal immigrants.  Now usually this is still a contentious decision but the truth is, its necessary to solve an otherwise intractable situation.  The amnesty actually helps people who got their status the "right" way.

Again I understand your frustration.  As for myself, many years ago, I used the free version, then got a pirated copy then a lifetime license.  I'm more than happy to support malware in their endeavour.

Why even concern yourself with that?

You were given a refund for a purchase from 1 1/2 yrs ago.

Our refund policy is 30 days.

So should we deny any other request like your's?

I think you should, exactly. This is no different than doing what he accuses others of doing - purposedly trying to cheat you with giving them lifetime licenses. By buying your software each one of people using it, expressed their belief that it's one of the best things on the market and I don't think anyone would disagree with the statement that you are.

Hi guys :)

A question.

- I have 2 legal lifetime licenses, bought in 2009 from your website.

- I also have both emails from Cleverbridge, so there is no problem to verify them.

- But at the moment I have both licenses not activated, because of a problem/conflict with Avast! SafeZone ( Hopefully that problem will be solved in the near future ).

Now what should I do ?

- I could make an image so I can activate my licenses, and get the replacement keys. But that takes time.

- Or is there another way ?

And untill when can I replace my ( old ) keys with the new ones ?

Greetz, Red.

Hi guys, I appreciate everything you all are doing. I have a lifetime license that I've more than gotten my use out of and I use the free product daily in my department for infected machines. I think this is a very good gesture in order to help usher in the new key system and of course there will be some people who dislike that the pirates are getting free licenses. However, I don't see this as a bad thing as a higher rate of "herd" immunity for everyone decreases outbreaks of malware - similar to the real world. For anyone that is upset by this decision, consider how MBAM has helped you since you've had it.

P.S. Can you buy those t-shirts from somewhere? It would be cool to own one.

• Root Admin

Hi everyone, I never do this, but I'm going to close this thread before it turns into a silly fight.

We decided to give a small number of licenses out because we weren't certain of the key source and we didn't want to harm those who may have bought it on eBay or another legitimate source but from a illegitimate person.

If you truly feel cheated and want a refund, just message me. We'll give you back your money and turn off your license key.

We really are trying to do right by our users, and that includes those that may have been hurt by someone other than us.

EDIT: This is the type of situation we were trying to solve for.