I would like my money back

MalwareBytes is currently offering FREE LIFETIME LICENSES to users of pirated copies. Here's how it works:

If you're using a pirated copy, i.e. using a pirated key, you will get a popup telling your license is invalid. The popup will offer you two choices:
1) If you don't know where your license came from or if you've simply downloaded the software, you get the option to obtain a license for 12 months for free.

2) If you're sure you've bought the license you're using, you get the option to obtain a LIFETIME LICENSE for free.

Simply clicking option 2, even when using a pirated version, will instanly give you a free lifetime license. It doesn't ask for any proof to show you've actually bought the license. Just click option 2 and presto; Free lifetime license.

This is insane. MB, if you are handing out free lifetime licenses to pirates, then I would like my money back as well.

Hi,

Did you use a pirated copy to know that ? :unsure:

Just having a "BAD KEY" does not make someone a pirate. There are tons of places selling non legit licenses to consumers. People BUY those in "good faith" and should not be penalized. Malwarebytes is just being very generous because of the awesome company that they are. After a short time the program will not have that "amnesty" option and will be able to detect the bogus keys from the "back alley" sellers and the buyers will know they just got ripped off and can take action on those sellers.

Just having a "BAD KEY" does not make someone a pirate. There are tons of places selling non legit licenses to consumers. People BUY those in "good faith" and should not be penalized. Malwarebytes is just being very generous because of the awesome company that they are. After a short time the program will not have that "amnesty" option and will be able to detect the bogus keys from the "back alley" sellers and the buyers will know they just got ripped off and can take action on those sellers.

Yes, I understand.

But : when I bought a "premium licence", I bought it on the MBAM site, not in a random site.

But actually, it's known that many sites give keys for many paying programs.

But : when I bought a "premium licence", I bought it on the MBAM site, not in a random site.

Did yours trigger the screen?

Also as a reseller i agreed not sell those keys all over the net like ebay and such. Since there is not a lot of profit as a reseller even if I wanted to abuse my reseller status I could not sell those keys at the "too good to be true" prices and not loose money. So those unscrupulous sellers most likely use a key generator to produce those keys to "sell".

Hi,

Did you use a pirated copy to know that ? :unsure:

No, I have 3 valid licenses. Proof:

90Ohlwk.png

A friend told me about this.

Why would anyone buy a MBAM license not trough the official website? Moreover, why does malwarebytes even offer option 1 i.e.' I have downloaded the software', basically acknowledging you've pirated/illegally obtained MBAM but still being rewarded with a 12 month free key? Insane, absolutely insane

And why doesn't it ask for payment proof when clicking on option 2? Is MBAM too lazy to check? Are they just fine with it? Also, the key used by pirated copies, is always the same. Why didn't MBAM blacklist this key and only offer this option to other non-genuine keys? This makes no sense at all.

If it is this easy to obtain a free genuine lifetime license, why not all download a pirated copy, obtain a legal key, repeat this process infinite times and sell the keys on eBay??

And the buyers are not guilty? Let me laugh.

We all know some people believe every thing they read on the net and if it is available to purchase it must be legit. Of course people who intentionally got the pirated keys from some wares site are guilty. But after this initial period those wont work any more.. :D 

Why would anyone buy a MBAM license not trough the official website?

To get it much cheaper.

Moreover, why does malwarebytes even offer option 1 i.e.' I have downloaded the software', basically acknowledging you've pirated/illegally obtained MBAM but still being rewarded with a 12 month free key?

This is for a very limited time.

Also, the key used by pirated copies, is always the same.

That is NOT true. key generators can make unlimited keys that in the past would all work.

Why didn't MBAM blacklist this key

They blacklisted tons of keys. It was impossible to control until this new version which of course is long over due. .

If it is this easy to obtain a free genuine lifetime license, why not all download a pirated copy, obtain a legal key, repeat this process infinite times and sell the keys on eBay??

That wont last for long and I am sure there are unseen (backend) blocks to prevent that from happening. And those new keys will only activate so many times before they fail.

This is insane. MB, if you are handing out free lifetime licenses to pirates, then I would like my money back as well.

Thinking about it I purchased A season of a TV show on amazon and a month later it was available for free to watch. Will I ask for a refund NO, Would I get one if I asked NO.

We all know some people believe every thing they read on the net and if it is available to purchase it must be legit. Of course people who intentionally got the pirated keys from some wares site are guilty. But after this initial period those wont work any more.. :D

No, those keys indeed won't work anymore. And it's not like they care, because they are now all using a new, valid, lifetime key they got from MB for free.

To get it much cheaper.

This is for a very limited time.

That is NOT true. key generators can make unlimited keys that in the past would all work.

They blacklisted tons of keys. It was impossible to control until this new version which of course is long over due. .

That wont last for long and I am sure there are unseen (backend) blocks to prevent that from happening. And those new keys will only activate so many times before they fail.

If it looks to good to be true, it mostly is... so it's their own fault.

Most pirated copies just come with 1 key in a .txt file, no generators.

Thinking about it I purchased A season of a TV show on amazon and a month later it was available for free to watch. Will I ask for a refund NO, Would I get one if I asked NO.

This is different. Comparing TV shows with software is like comparing apples with oranges.

As a fellow human being I am sorry you feel cheated by the amnesty program. But when the dust settles MBAM will be a more protected program from pirates. Yes the pirates will evolve but rest assured Malwarebytes will evolve as well. There will always be pirates and loopholes but all paid software company's face that battle daily.

If you were a victim of one of those sellers would you want to jump thru a bunch of hoops to prove you paid for the program. Most might not have proof anymore.The company unlike most others care all of its users to offer a no hassle way to fix their honest mistake. 

You would have a different perspective if it were you in this situation. Give credit to Malwarebytes for not being jerks and taking care if its users and not worrying about money. That is special in this day and age.

It's called amnesty for a reason.

Those that have pirated copies can now come clean.

Those that have been ripped off by "crooks" shouldn't be punished.

We would rather give away a few free Malwarebytes (MBAM) licenses to those users in order to keep infected pc's infecting other users.

Just consider it a good faith mission.

No one is getting rich charging $25 a year for coverage of three devices.

We're talking about what, 10 soft drinks?

The amnesty program is short lived and after that, each user that has been ripped off, will be a one by one case.

We are different from many other protection providers as one can use our Free version to manually remove infections.

And why doesn't it ask for payment proof when clicking on option 2? Is MBAM too lazy to check? Are they just fine with it? Also, the key used by pirated copies, is always the same. Why didn't MBAM blacklist this key and only offer this option to other non-genuine keys? This makes no sense at all.

No, we are not too lazy to check.

Yes we have the blacklisted keys.

When the amnesty is over, that will kick in.

One will need proof of purchase after that.

As for sharing a legal key, that will be a bad idea as your key you shared will get blacklisted as well.

Whomever it was in this topic that wanted a refund, PM me with your Cleverbridge Reference key and I'll see what I can do.

As a fellow human being I am sorry you feel cheated by the amnesty program. But when the dust settles MBAM will be a more protected program from pirates. Yes the pirates will evolve but rest assured Malwarebytes will evolve as well. There will always be pirates and loopholes but all paid software company's face that battle daily.

If you were a victim of one of those sellers would you want to jump thru a bunch of hoops to prove you paid for the program. Most might not have proof anymore.The company unlike most others care all of its users to offer a no hassle way to fix their honest mistake. 

You would have a different perspective if it were you in this situation. Give credit to Malwarebytes for not being jerks and taking care if its users and not worrying about money. That is special in this day and age.

Why would I give credit to Malwarebytes? Whats the whole idea behind this? Why not handle this on a case by case basis? So many questions, so little answers. I get the feeling this idea was rushed and not fully think through.

It's called amnesty for a reason.

Those that have pirated copies can now come clean.

Those that have been ripped off by "crooks" shouldn't be punished.

We would rather give away a few free Malwarebytes (MBAM) licenses to those users in order to keep infected pc's infecting other users.

Just consider it a good faith mission.

No one is getting rich charging $25 a year for coverage of three devices.

We're talking about what, 10 soft drinks?

The amnesty program is short lived and after that, each user that has been ripped off, will be a one by one case.

We are different from many other protection providers as one can use our Free version to manually remove infections.

No, we are not too lazy to check.

Yes we have the blacklisted keys.

When the amnesty is over, that will kick in.

One will need proof of purchase after that.

As for sharing a legal key, that will be a bad idea as your key you shared will get blacklisted as well.

Whomever it was in this topic that wanted a refund, PM me with your Cleverbridge Reference key and I'll see what I can do.

Okay, so the ones that have a pirated version can come clean for free. Apparantly it pays off being a pirate, good to know, thanks.

Yes you are too lazy to check; Else there would have been an option  to provide payment proof, which isn't there.

I've PMed you my Reference number.

Replied to your pm.

You purchased the Life Time Pro version 1 /1/2 yrs ago.

I was under the impression you purcahsed our new yearly annual of MBAM.

I know you're not going to be happy with any replies about why MBAM went the way it did.

I would hope that you would see the advantage you have with the one time purchase you made for Life Time coverage, free updates / upgrades and support.

• Root Admin

Hi everyone, please let me take the opportunity to clear everything up.

When I started Malwarebytes, I absolutely had no idea how successful we would be today. I am extremely grateful for all of the support from everyone and how fast we've grown. That being said, I picked a very insecure license key algorithm and as such, generating a pirated key was, and is, very simple.

The problem with pirated keys it that they may collide with a legitimate key just by the sheer numbers. For example, Larry may generate a pirated key that matches the exact key that I already bought. Yes, this is silly, and yes, this is literally the first thing a professional software company thinks of when building license key generation, but when you think you're building a product for just a few people you don't hash out these details.

Now we've grown up, and we've got a new licensing system that we've rolled out in stages. The only problem is that we have millions of users that we've sold keys to, or a reseller has sold keys to, or we've given out keys to without keeping track. It is a mess, and you as a consumer have every right to be upset.

The first stage of this program is to collect data from our users. What keys are still alive, and who are they used by. If you are a true pirate, the furthest you will get is a year's worth of Malwarebytes. I wish we could handle each of the keys manually and determine if they are legitimate, but there are tens of millions of them and so we've automated the process a bit to cut them down. After that cut down, which is when a user selects an option, we will be going through the uses manually.

Again, I know this doesn't excuse those who feel cheated because they bought the software. I am happy to work with you on some free shirts, or a free copy of anti-exploit as you continue to support us through this process.

As already said : when you buy a legit key, you are able to give the proof via the mail delivered by MBAM.

Otherwise, it would be actually too easy...."I would like my money back" from Microsoft, Cyberlink, Nero, McAfee, Norton and etc.....

Cheaters are going to become rich !

Replied to your pm.

You purchased the Life Time Pro version 1 /1/2 yrs ago.

I was under the impression you purcahsed our new yearly annual of MBAM.

I know you're not going to be happy with any replies about why MBAM went the way it did.

I would hope that you would see the advantage you have with the one time purchase you made for Life Time coverage, free updates / upgrades and support.

Assumption is the mother of all screwups, as you've now found out by yourself.

What advantage? Pirates are also getting free lifetime licenses.

Hi everyone, please let me take the opportunity to clear everything up.

When I started Malwarebytes, I absolutely had no idea how successful we would be today. I am extremely grateful for all of the support from everyone and how fast we've grown. That being said, I picked a very insecure license key algorithm and as such, generating a pirated key was, and is, very simple.

The problem with pirated keys it that they may collide with a legitimate key just by the sheer numbers. For example, Larry may generate a pirated key that matches the exact key that I already bought. Yes, this is silly, and yes, this is literally the first thing a professional software company thinks of when building license key generation, but when you think you're building a product for just a few people you don't hash out these details.

Now we've grown up, and we've got a new licensing system that we've rolled out in stages. The only problem is that we have millions of users that we've sold keys to, or a reseller has sold keys to, or we've given out keys to without keeping track. It is a mess, and you as a consumer have every right to be upset.

The first stage of this program is to collect data from our users. What keys are still alive, and who are they used by. If you are a true pirate, the furthest you will get is a year's worth of Malwarebytes. I wish we could handle each of the keys manually and determine if they are legitimate, but there are tens of millions of them and so we've automated the process a bit to cut them down. After that cut down, which is when a user selects an option, we will be going through the uses manually.

Again, I know this doesn't excuse those who feel cheated because they bought the software. I am happy to work with you on some free shirts, or a free copy of anti-exploit as you continue to support us through this process.

Thanks for the clarfication. So basically, all paying customers are the vicitim of your weak license algorithm and the best way to solve that is to betray the paying customers, that made your company as big as it is right now, by handing out licenses to pirates? Way to go. Again, you should have handled this on a case by case basis. If a geniuine paying customer was to mail you that his key stopped working, you could have asked for a payment proof. This way, you could have much much easier rooted out the pirated copies.

A free t-shirt or a license to a piece of software I don't want or need, does not solve me being upset, which I apparantly have any right to be. You've got to come up with something better here.

Sure thing, happy to give you a refund immediately. Please send me your reference number or your e-mail.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Check your PM. I also sent it to LDTate before, so make sure you guys are not both going to process a refund because that would be unfair.

As already said : when you buy a legit key, you are able to give the proof via the mail delivered by MBAM.

On this note... This amnesty program is an olive branch to the tons of people who actually paid someone but not Malwarebytes for the program .  They might have any way to show proof of the purchase any more because the scammer has moved on. These people actually wanted the features to actually pay for it . You cant fault people for looking for a SALE in this economy today.

YES pirates got it too but that will come to a END when the new tech in malwarebytes is enabled and that will at least slow the pirates down.