Why does 2.1.8.1057 Keep minimizing to my taskbar

I installed the upgrade when prompted.  It used to just sit on the right hand side of my taskbar.  Now, after the upgrade...I boot into Windows 7 and the dashboard opens and  minimizes to the left side of my taskbar by the start button.   Is there a setting I am missing?

Hi, bobmitch:

Let's collect some basic information about your system and your MBAM installation, to assist the QA team:

• Please read the following and attach to your next reply here in this thread the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thanks,

---------------------------------------

To the rest of you (rgterry49 and Chaosblade):

Welcome.

It's not yet clear if the problem you describe is "the same" as that reported by @bobmitch.
Sometimes, problems that sound the same have different causes and different solutions.
This is especially true since each computer is unique.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

For the time being, until the moderator team has a chance to split off your posts to separate threads, I suggest the following, rather than keeping everyone's replies jumbled in one thread:

Please start a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic using this clickable>>> cjfj.png button.

If you would like, please attach a set of all 3 diagnostic logs to your new post -- that will give the team a head start.

The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you all up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Hi, bobmitch:

Here are the generated files:

Ran a malwarebytes scan...clean.  Ran a Kaspersky scan...clean.  I believe that there is a hidden setting in the program that causes this.  Tried to go back to 2.1.6, which doesn't cause this problem and am constantly nagged to upgrade

Thanks

Thanks for the logs.

Until the staff members have a chance to review them, the only major thing that jumps out is that MBAM has been installed on this system for quite some time before the recent upgrade.

Normally the next step would usually be to suggest a clean reinstall.

Instructions are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

This most often resolves minor issues.

However, this will temporarily put you back to 2.1.6, until 2.1.8 is available for general release/manual download.

So, let's wait to see what the staff suggest...

Thanks for your patience,

Bob, do you have scheduled updates set on frequency "on reboot"?

If so there's a bug that makes the MBAM UI open minimized on the taskbar on 2.1.8. It will be fixed in the next program update.

This doesn't affect 2.1.6.

If this is your issue - you either live with it until the next update or you can disable the schedule task until the issue is fixed.

I have the program set up to look for updates hourly, and I normally do check on bootup.  Also, I did a clean install, after running mbamclean.  Before I put the license and ID in for 2.1.6, I was told there was an upgrade did I want to install.  Told it YES...installed 2.1.8...then put in the ID and activation key...rebooted and here are a few notes:

With checking for updates on reboot is disabled, the program doesn't go to taskbar.  So now I enabled checking for updates on reboot as well as hourly.  On reboot...it loads to taskbar.  The culprit is checking for updates on reboot...as far as I can tell.  Just to double check.  Will disable check on reboot...rebooting now...no load to taskbar.  I am 100% certain that the culprit is having Malwarebytes check for updates on reboot.

Thanks for the help.  I will just leave the program to check hourly and let it go at that...for now.

Bob, do you have scheduled updates set on frequency "on reboot"?

If so there's a bug that makes the MBAM UI open minimized on the taskbar on 2.1.8. It will be fixed in the next program update.

This doesn't affect 2.1.6.

If this is your issue - you either live with it until the next update or you can disable the schedule task until the issue is fixed.

Interesting!

So, removing the update check on reboot should "fix" this issue, it seems.

Thanks for the info -- I assume that the MBAM QA Team knows about this bug?

Thanks,

Interesting!

So, removing the update check on reboot should "fix" this issue, it seems.

Thanks for the info -- I assume that the MBAM QA Team knows about this bug?

Thanks,

Yes, they are aware and have replicated the issue.

By removing the schedule of updating on frequency "on reboot", MBAM UI will not open up on the taskbar. Though, the side-effect is that it won't update on reboot by doing that.

It should be fixed in the next version.

Hi:

Yes, they are aware and have replicated the issue.

By removing the schedule of updating on frequency "on reboot", MBAM UI will not open up on the taskbar. Though, the side-effect is that it won't update on reboot by doing that.

It should be fixed in the next version.

Hmm, OK.

Thanks for the info. :)

I never use "update on reboot", as -- even on robust hardware -- it seems like a bad time for MBAM to be trying to update ("race" conditions, conflicts, etc).  I always do a manual update as soon as the system has settled down a bit.

{{Kibbitz: If you check the HM section thread about 2.1.8, I reported similar -- probably related -- behavior on one of my rigs a few moments ago.}}

And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread....

Here is an oddity.  On my i7 5820K desktop...got the notice to upgrade...so I did.  Forgot to uncheck "update on reboot" and it doesn't have the same issue as laptop.  Either a Windows 7 vs 8.1 thing (desktop is 8.1 Pro) or something in the configuration of the laptop.  Will be really interested to see what the programmers find....

Hello ,

my Sreenshot is made, mouse over the taskbar-Malwarebyte's icon. When I click after 20 seconds the taskbar icon, dashboard can be seen.

Total: I have the same problem as @bobmitch. I've used the MalwareByte-cleaner (mbam-clean), as I saw the problem the first time.

Windows 8.1 x64

No other AV exist.

The previous 2.16 (?) version worked fine.

malwarebyteafterresta6hs4g.jpg

Hi:

Just where is this block to put in or take out a check mark to not check for updates upon reboot. I can't find it.

It would be a task in the scheduler.

(Or it could be happening as a "catch up" if you have "Recover if Missed By..." enabled in the Advanced Settings > Recovery Options for your regular, scheduled update task.)

As long as the update check completes without any problems (such as an app crash), it appears to be largely a "cosmetic" issue.

Thanks,

post-29793-0-26753900-1435855338_thumb.p