Malwarebytes Acquires Junkware Removal Tool

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks! Get want to get all of your attention regarding about a false positive from Avast that it detects Junkware Removal Tool as Win32:Evo-gen (Susp). Few hours ago me (an avast user) along with other users reported this false positive to Avast via Support and in the forum. Few minutes ago, the VPS update for Avast has been updated and no longer detects JRT as a suspecious file and it corrected it.

So to those users who uses Avast, your avast vps will update to 150627-1 to correct this false positive. Thanks.

Also to the Malwarebytes Antimalware Team. A chinese antivirus company called Jiangmin still detects JRT as a threat via VirusTotal https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5811fa2d10c25abb4c25b598301d61c480c32668b539d14aa049c52bdb5c9214/analysis/1435440074/

The threat name is Trojan/Generic.buxhs.

It also detected it via MetaScan online, but it has dropped the detection now

FYI we normally request that anti-virus programs be disabled when deploying JRT, so there shouldn't be anything interfering with running the tool.  I can see where an A/V might remove it when downloaded and before running though.

In that case we can request disabling A/V before download as a work-around.  Thanks for the info.  :)

• Staff

Donetao - Since this is the 2nd time you've brought this up - I will state clearly for all that you did not get into trouble for your views on that feature and your issues with TSF have nothing to do with this forum nor this topic.

While you consider the build up of EventViewer logs on your machine to be a nuisance, please bear in mind that recent, past Event Viewer information is helpful to forum Helpers from a diagnostic standpoint - which is why thisisu changed JRT to no longer automatically clear them.

The tool still has the ability to clear EventViewer logs, you just have to trigger it to do so.  Also, as you mentioned, you have other programs at your disposal to clear them if you want them cleared. 

**edit**

This post was in response to a member whose post had since been deleted

Edited by Ried

FYI we normally request that anti-virus programs be disabled when deploying JRT, so there shouldn't be anything interfering with running the tool.  I can see where an A/V might remove it when downloaded and before running though.

In that case we can request disabling A/V before download as a work-around.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Thanks for that info DanoNH to disable A/V before running JRT. I didn't know that. Your welcome  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will always have free removal capabilities. You didn't pay to get infected, you shouldn't pay to remove it.

And this is why I will always be a Malwarebytes customer and recommend it to everyone that I can :)

Hello eberhad652:

Reference: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169586-malwarebytes-acquires-junkware-removal-tool/#entry970849

The most key features of Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) will be integrated into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in a future release.

The basic tool is still being maintained and may be downloaded from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/jrt/. However, and depending on your computer maintenance expertise, it may be advisable to run this powerful tool under the close supervision of a qualified Malware Removal Expert.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Hi mynorgeek

This is not the false positive reporting area of the forum. You asked if you would be given the choice and I said yes you will once it's fully integrated. If you think it is a false positive then you can report it.

This is just a NEWS section of the forum not a support section.

Please report any file false positive in this forum

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/forum/42-file-detections/

Thank you again

• 3 weeks later...