NO UPDATES AVAILABLE FOR MALWAREBYTES

Yesterday I had  downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes version  2.1.6.1022...The database  update was showing 5th April, 2015 so I wanted to update it. When I made an attempt, it said   " NO UPDATES AVAILABLE "..

I donot know why this is happening and seek  your help in this matter. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials as my Anti Virus on Windows 7, 64 bit. Service Pack 1.

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanking you in anticipation

Hi, again: :)

Sorry you are having a problem with updating MBAM.

There are several possible explanations.

We need a bit more information in order to start troubleshooting.

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you,

Hi,

In response  to your  mail, i  have   made ready the three " Diagnostic Logs " ..However, I am unable  to find out the  way how  to attach the Logs  as a reply  to your mail. I don't see  any way how   to  " attach "  the Logs  to this reply of mine in this forum. Can you please help me. The Diagnostic  Logs are  on my Desktop. Please let me know what icons  to click [ above ]  to copy paste the  three  Logs to this mail.

Thanking you.

Hi:

Please refer to these steps and the attached screen shots):

• Click the "More Reply Options" button in the lower right of the message pane
  • Click the "Browse" button, on the lower left, near the paperclip
  • Navigate to the log file on your desktop
  • Double-click the file to load it
  • Click the "Attach This File" button
  • Repeat for the other logs

Thanks,

post-29793-0-04681100-1434968227_thumb.p

post-29793-0-87754400-1434968236_thumb.p

Hi:

Thanks for the logs.

I don't see anything really obvious to account for the trouble updating MBAM, but other programs are also experiencing update issues, too:

System errors:
=============

Error: (06/06/2015 08:34:44 AM) (Source: Microsoft Antimalware) (EventID: 2001) (User: )
Description: %NT AUTHORITY60 has encountered an error trying to update signatures.

New Signature Version:

Previous Signature Version: 1.199.1936.0

Update Source: %NT AUTHORITY59

Update Stage: 4.8.0204.00

Source Path: 4.8.0204.01

Signature Type: %NT AUTHORITY602

And it looks as if you could be experiencing hardware issues with your hard drive:

Error: (06/22/2015 00:23:58 AM) (Source: volsnap) (EventID: 14) (User: )
Description: The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

Error: (06/13/2015 11:31:38 PM) (Source: DCOM) (EventID: 10010) (User: )
Description: {76D0CB12-7604-4048-B83C-1005C7DDC503}

Error: (06/10/2015 11:10:54 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7006) (User: )
Description: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureCommand with the following error:
%%5

Error: (06/10/2015 11:10:53 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7006) (User: )
Description: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error:
%%5

Error: (06/10/2015 10:56:50 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7006) (User: )
Description: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureCommand with the following error:
%%5

Error: (06/10/2015 10:56:38 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7006) (User: )
Description: The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error:
%%5

Error: (06/10/2015 10:52:53 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient) (EventID: 20) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80240055: Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3063858).

Error: (06/06/2015 08:35:03 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient) (EventID: 20) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.199.1936.0).

And there are lots of other errors for at least one of your devices (Logitech mouse?).

Please wait for one of the forum experts or staff members to advise you.

They will probably suggest starting with a disk check

But additional work might be needed, in which case they will refer you to a different area of the forum for deeper, specialized work.

Thanks for your patience,

Thank you so much  for your prompt reply and findings.Please let me know when I have  to submit my Disk check analysis. In the meantime I will wait  for   your staff members or forum experts  to guide me suitably to resolve the  issue.

Thanking you

• Root Admin

You have some non standard items running here as tasks. It would also appear that this is probably a work computer, if so then use of MBAM on any work computer requires a business license.

What is this and what does it do? Google does not show it which leads me to believe possibly installed by some IT Department

Task: {013D12C0-7CB8-422A-9FC6-88053A93CEEB} - System32\Tasks\MSE\MSES => C:\TS Messenger\MSESZ.vbs [2014-01-26] ()

What is this and what does it do? This is not from us or a normal home installation

Task: {15410F2E-BEB3-42A3-85CE-6664E5C7E171} - System32\Tasks\M B A M\MBAM Quick => D:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\MAbAM_QK_inf.vbs

Same with this

Task: {27B66144-DD7F-4E96-A215-AEE814521DF6} - System32\Tasks\M B A M\MBAM Full => D:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\MAbAM_FL_inf.vbs

It would appear that someone is attempting to automate updates and or scans with a scheduled task which used to work in the 1.7x version but is no longer supported in the 2.x version (attempting to automate the program in such a manner without paying for a license is also against the EULA)

In either case these entries could potentially be interfering with updates depending on what they're doing.

This is an interesting one by name. Not sure what it's doing but can't think of anything that would need a cache clean up here so curious what it's really doing.

Task: {4E485BD0-FB62-4C13-AFAB-56DB352B46B8} - System32\Tasks\ERASE CACHE\ERASE CACHE => C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Software_Distribution_Erase_Cache.bat

I'm not going to go through all of these Tasks as you have a lot of non standard batch files running doing things that in reality could probably easily be done with one batch file - if in fact they were really needed. Windows 7 typically does not need the same kind of manipulation that XP did so personally I'd review and see if these were really needed or not.

The computer is crashing on a few things including Logitech software and what appears to be one of the Microsoft Update errors.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2920975/operating-systems/microsoft-confirms-earlier-versions-of-kb-3022345-and-kb-3048043-broke-updating.html

So a bit of cleanup would seem to be in order here. If this is a business computer then I'd recommend you alert your IT Department that your computer is having these errors and get them to fix it. If it's not a work computer and you're the one that setup all these batch files I would again recommend you rethink them and in most cases probably remove them. As for the MBAM tasks none are supported and should be disabled pretty much regardless of what they're doing.

If it is your own home computer then follow this advice first.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Good Morning and thank you  so much  for  your advice.

I must reiterate that your accusations  on my Computer  being a Work Computer based on your theory  that it is running scheduled tasks   and that it requires  a business license   has not been taken very sportingly by me. 

Windows 7 does  have  an exclusive  feature of   scheduling  tasks, regardless of  Computers being used  for   home or  work use. If your   contention was  right, I would have  to specify at the time of puchasing, whether I  am puchasing my Computer  for Home of Work use and if it was  for the  former, I would lose  out on this exclusive feature of Scheduled  tasks.

Since this  concerns you, I must inform you that  the  two  scheduled  tasks  of updating and  scanning with Malwarebytes were  created on 27th of October, 2013 and the  Free version  of Malwarebytes Antimalware  were used.  For some reason, this installation of  Malwarebytes was uninstalled  and the scheduled tasks in question were  subsequently disabled. Please let me know if there is any rule which  stipulates that  I cannot schedule   automatic updates and running scans with Malwarebytes on Windows 7  with  the  Free Version ? Please note that all my batch files which run  successfully everyday have been created with help  from the net  and  various sites. Yes I do agree that some  batch files  may have potentially interfered   with  successful   defintion updates and scanning.  But if this was  true, why would  this inference  manifest itself now, when the two  scheduled  tasks, as  mentioned above  have been disabled  for ages and  I had  downloaded  the free version just about two days ago ? 

I donot  wish  to go into the gory details  of what  my  Scheduled tasks    are intended   to do [ eg.  ERASE CACHE BAT ] . Since you are  concerned   about your product, I have  already explained,  the  details  of  the  scheduled tasks.

Your  contention  that  my   Computer is running non standard  batch  files   sounds  very condescending   and  an utter  disappointment  and  demotivational factor  for  beginners.

If I knew  that your request for  providing " Diagnostic Logs "  actually means  you all prying into my scheduled scans / other  details, I would have never ever sent them to you  for your investigation. 

If  for all that has  transpired between me and your staff, and you have  concluded that  " So a bit of cleanup would seem to be in order here "  and that " If it's not a work computer and you're the one that setup all these batch files I would again recommend you rethink them and in most cases probably remove them "  I will follow your instructions !

Thanking you once again. 

I would have  to specify at the time of puchasing, whether I  am puchasing my Computer  for Home of Work

There are 2 versions of MBAM, One for HOME use and one for BUSINESS use.

The HOME version comes in a FREE version and a PAID subscription version. Although it was physically possible in older versions to use the task scheduler to automate it was and still is a violation of the license agreement.

To automate you must PURCHASE the PAID version of the program that corresponds to your environment that it is used.

Please note that all my batch files which run  successfully everyday have been created with help  from the net  and  various sites.

Just because you read it on the net does not make it legal.

Your  contention  that  my   Computer is running non standard  batch  files   sounds  very condescending   and  an utter  disappointment  and  demotivational factor  for  beginners.

I'm sorry you feel that way. You were just being informed of the license agreement that pertains to the software.

If I knew  that your request for  providing " Diagnostic Logs "  actually means  you all prying into my scheduled scans / other  details, I would have never ever sent them to you  for your investigation.

It is not the intention of the logs to call out(police) users but to get vital information about you computer to be able to fix your issues. Sometimes licensee violations and other issues of pirated software might come to light and are dealt with according to the company's piracy policy.

• Root Admin

Not trying to say you're doing anything wrong, just speaking about things I see in the logs as I don't know you and I don't know your computer so I have to go by logs. The logs show you are running scheduled tasks that are not normal. If you notice I have over 50,000 posts and I've been doing computer support now for over 25 years so I've seen a few logs in my time. The average home user does not have these tasks but business computers do and why I mentioned it. I'm not here to police your computer or your software just trying to get to the bottom of why it isn't updating. In my personal opinion many of the things you're doing simply just don't need to be done but it's your computer and you have the right to do what you want with it.

I would still say to please seek further advice to ensure the computer is not infected. We cannot do such deeper scans/fixes in this specific sub forum but the other one I linked you to can. As for using scheduled tasks yes they worked in the 1.75 version but they no longer work period on 2.x as it has no command line support which is how the tasks used to work for you. Automating the the free version is against the EULA but its more so directed at businesses that try to do it without paying, the average home user did not use it though some such as yourself did. If you click on updates from within the program and it's not updating then we need to check and see why.

Please follow my previous advice and have someone look at your system further to see why it's not updating.

Thank you

Ron