CreateFile Error

MBAMService, mbamservice.exe: CreateFile failed with error code 5.

I get this error every morning when I startup my Windows XP system. The error line above is taken from the Windows Application Event Log.

This started to occur several days after my firm bought a license and I started using the Protection module.

Interestingly, the scheduled scans, sceduled for late rin the day, seem to complete as expected.

Additionally, when this problem occured, I now get daily requests from Windows Defender, to "allow" the mbamswissarmyknife process to run. So my suspicion is that Windos Defender may be implicated in this problem.

Any pointers, suggestions or solutions greatly appreciated.

Dale Poole

University of PEI

Computer Services

dpoole AT upei.ca

Hi Dale,

If you can please email corporate@malwarebytes.org with your Cleverbridge purchase ID I'll be happy to assist you in getting this issue resolved.

Thank you.

If I knew what a Cleverbridge Support ID was, I would do this. I am just a grunt on the frontline of support, so I'm not privy to the details of whatever arrangement we have with you. However, I will approach the tent full of swaggering, wine besotted Generals and see if I can retrieve said ID, without too severe of a whipping for my insubordination.

Wish me luck...life in the trenches is not as glamourous as it would seem.

Dale

No problem Dale. If you are on support then ask that you be added to the list of Admins allowed to contact support and that will make it a lot quicker and easier and you won't need the actual purchase ID information.

Ron,

Hmmm....our license (I beleive) is shared with a group of universities here, and the main admins are not local. I'll see what I can do, but in the meantime I have emailed the info your suggested and am still awaiting an answer.

Cheers!

• Root Admin

I've not seen an email yet. Generally speaking the Corporate License that a University would have purchased provides for only a given number of contacts for support so that we don't have dozens of different users contacting us for the same issue. If the University purchased multiple licenses for the program then they should be your initial point of contact for support so that they can escalate it to us if need be.

If you do have the license ID and KEY you can send me a private message and I'll look them up to verify and if valid I'll provide you with support via email.

Thank you.

• Root Admin

Hi Dale,

If you want to work on the issue here on the forum that's okay we can do that. I've moved your logs into the HJT forum though so that other users do not reply to the postings.

You can find it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17703

Please bookmark it for now as we work on it.