Problem with MBAM Premium and update of Database

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and :welcome: , oops_mbam:

There are several possible explanations for this (server glitch, internet connection problem, malware, etc).  It would help to have a bit more information, e.g. any sort of error message when you try to perform a manual update -- does it say "unable to access server" or something else?

Having said that, the fastest way to troubleshoot the problem would probably be the following:

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hello,

The message I get, when I do a manual update is the following :

no update available

I have uninstalled MBAM and reinstall it ( 2.1.6.1022 ) and now I am stuck with a very old database version : 2015.04.05.02

No problem with internet here, and I can ping the update database server without any problem

Is there an explanation with the deployment of the next version of MBAM 2.1.8.1057 and distribution of database which is delayed perhaps ?

Regards

Hi:

The FRST tool was developed by an MBAM forum expert, farbar.
It is used 100s (1000s) of times a day here and at other computer disinfection forums, such as bleepingcomputer.
It is perfectly safe.

The mbam-check tool is a special utility designed and hosted by MBAM for diagnosis of the MBAM installation.
It, too, is used 100s of time a day and is perfectly safe.

Please feel free to wait for a staff member to assist you.
They will ask for those same logs, though.
As we are not in front of your computer, there is no way for anyone to determine the cause of the updating problem without some basic diagnostic information. :(

Please be patient, as it is the weekend. A staff member will assist you as soon as they can.

If you prefer to be assisted, one-on-one at the help desk instead, rather than here at the forum, you may wish to open a ticket by completing the web form HERE.

(They, too, will need to see basic diagnostic logs.)

Take care,

Hi:

Offline updating will always be somewhat outdated, as it's impossible to keep that database current, when real-time auto-updates are issued 6 to 15 times per day.
It would be highly preferable to determine the cause and solution for your updating problem, rather than to rely on the offline method.
That won't be possible here or at the help desk without basic information in the form of Diagnostic Logs.
But it's certainly up to you. :)

There is a new mbam-rules link: =>HERE<=
The link will download 1 zip file, where the name of the file is mbam-rules-YYYY-MM-DD.zip

Note:
There are 2 files now in the zip folder:

• Mbam-rules.exe
  • Mbam2-rules.exe

They are specific to the version, so mbam-rules is for any MBAM 1.x installation, whereas mbam2-rules is for any MBAM 2.x installation.

>>If you think the system might be infected (which is a common cause of updating problems), then I suggest that you might want to please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue in the malware removal area of the forum, or at the help desk.

Thanks again,

hip hip hip hourra

I've found the solution to my problem

I have added this line to the hosts file of the PC

54.230.89.168    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

and now the update is working : database version -> v2015.06.21.02

This is  a  coincidence. Just  today  I had downloaded the free version  and like you,  I  was stuck with  the  database version of 5th April, 2015  with no further Updates available.. Can  you kindly tell me  what you meant by saying  ~ " adding this line  to the hosts file of the PC " 

I would really appreciate your reply. Thanking you.

Hi Rajdeep,

It's quite simple.

Open explorer, and go to here :

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Double click on the file hosts

Choose notepad to open it

At the end of the file add this line :

Save the file

Now , open MBAM and click on 'update now'

It should update to database version -> v2015.06.21.03 at the moment

Hope this helps

Regards

Hello and welcome, Rajdeep:

The solution presented by @oops_mbam is NOT in any way the standard or recommended solution.
Although I am just a home user and forum volunteer, in over 5 years of helping out here, I've never seen that solution/workaround reported.

We will need to wait for a staff member to comment on the advisability or need of using such a workaround.

We do not at this time recommend that you edit your hosts file as @oops_mbam has done.

He may have a DNS issue or hijacked router, or other problem. It's unlikely you are experiencing the exact same issue, as each computer is unique.

In any event....

There are many reasons for update failures (system configuration or connectivity issues, software conflicts, malware, corrupt MBAM installations, etc.)
There is no one solution that works for every user and every computer.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".
Please start a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic using this clickable>>> cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Hello, oops_mbam:

You wrote:

Hi Rajdeep,

It's quite simple.

Open explorer, and go to here :

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Double click on the file hosts

Choose notepad to open it

At the end of the file add this line :

Save the file

Now , open MBAM and click on 'update now'

It should update to database version -> v2015.06.21.03 at the moment

Hope this helps

Regards

First, I have never seen or heard of that workaround for MBAM updating issues.  While it may have seemed to have resolved the problem for you and your computer, it is not the recommended method.  It's not a good idea to advise other MBAM users to edit their hosts file and make other system modifications without input from forum experts or MBAM staff.

Also, your logs show that MBAM was installed many weeks ago.  The first step in routine troubleshooting for updating issues is a proper, clean reinstall, using the "best practices" detailed in this pinned topic: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

A clean reinstall often resolves such issues, so long as the system is not infected, damaged, or improperly configured, and so long as there is no software conflict or other problem.

This was, in fact, the first step suggested to you, and it may well have resolved your issue without editing the hosts file.

Today is a holiday in the US, where most of the MBAM staff members are based.

I respectfully suggest that you might want to follow the original suggestions to cleanly reinstall MBAM, as explained here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Then, we will need to wait for an MBAM staff member to weigh in on the hosts file edit and possible issue with the MBAM updates cdn, or a router hijack or other DNS issue at your end.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

There is no danger at all , with this workaround

FYI, I'm not a beginner, and I am MCSE since more than 10 years ...

So it's up to you to try or not this workaround

Used to be a leader, but not surprised if you are afraid with my solution :wub:

It has absolutely nothing to do with that.

I respectfully suggest that you please wait for input from the MBAM staff, to determine if there is an issue with the cdn (or not).

And we respectfully ask that you not instruct other basic users on that workaround, until it is determined by MBAM staff to be necessary and helpful.

In the meantime, please refer to my previous reply, suggesting that you might wish to undertake the standard troubleshooting that resolves updating issues for nearly all users whose computers are not infected or damaged or blocked by a software conflict.

Thanks for your patience,

Hi All,

As said earlier I am a novice on the Computer..I am so happy that  you all are trying  to help me out  on this issue. I just pray that  there could be just one solution.  I am afraid  to try out  all the workarounds as suggested above for and fear i may damage my  Laptop.  I am willing  to wait and be patient  till such  time  I am guided to resolve this issue.

In the mean  time  i wish to thank all of you for your help.

Hello again, rajdeep:

Hi All,

As said earlier I am a novice on the Computer..I am so happy that  you all are trying  to help me out  on this issue. I just pray that  there could be just one solution.  I am afraid  to try out  all the workarounds as suggested above for and fear i may damage my  Laptop.  I am willing  to wait and be patient  till such  time  I am guided to resolve this issue.

In the mean  time  i wish to thank all of you for your help.

There is nothing to be afraid of. But it would be easier if we could assist you in your own forum thread.

If possible, please start a NEW, SEPARATE forum topic by using your mouse to click this button right here>>> cjfj.png.
Once you do that, the forum experts and staff will be able to better assist you, one-on-one, to get MBAM up and running properly.

Thank you again,

Just noticed from the above that today is a holiday in the US (I'm in France). After a week of feeling very pleased with myself in having succeeded in making my Pro update happily once a day I found that the update failed on the 20th. There is no mention of an update attempt on the logs for Saturday 20th, Sunday 21st or today.

If I try an "Update now" the updater reports "No updates available".

So is the auto-scheduler programmed to ignore weekends and holidays?

David

Hi, solomod:

This is actually oops_mbam's thread.

There are many possible reasons for updating issues.

The one thing you both have in common, I think, is that you are both in France.

I have no problem pinging the update servers, but I am in the U.S.

Having said that, update checks that are performed when there is no new database available are not logged. Only those update checks that result in a new database download are logged. On the weekends, if there is not a lot of zero-hour or zero-day malware in circulation, there may not be as many database updates available.

This thread is becoming a bit messy, as there are now at least 3 users posting. And it's unlikely that everyone really is experiencing the exact same problem, just the same "symptom".

It would probably be better if you could please start a new, separate topic.

That way we can provide one-on-one, customized troubleshooting.

EDIT: The forum staff has been notified of your problem with the server ping. Please be patient, as it is the middle of the night where most staff members are based.  Someone will investigate as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Hi:

update received : v2015.06.22.01

with the hosts file modified ;-)

Thanks for the new information.

Once again, there is normally no reason to have modify one's hosts file in order to update.

The fact that you do suggests the possibility of some sort of DNS problem at your end, or perhaps a router hijack.

The forum staff have been notified of this thread and of your updating problems, oops_mbam.

We respectfully suggest that you please wait for one of them to assist you.

In the interim, you might want to try a proper clean reinstall, as has been suggested many times: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

This often resolves many minor problems.

There is a significant time-zone difference, as I think you are in France and most of the staff members are on the West Coast of the U.S.

Please be patient -- someone will help you as soon as possible.

Thanks,