Windows 8.1 help

A friend of mine is having trouble with windows 8.  I still have windows 7 so am not much help.

When she opens apps - they don't seem to load up at all and automatically minimise.  I've looked around on the net and this seems a common problem but there is no clear solution.

The internet still works fine.  Her emails work fine.  Apps like Reader or even News don't seem to load and automatically minimise.  You restore them and they haven't loaded and they also quickly minimise again.

What course of action do you suggest?

Hi:

I don't have 8/8.1, so we'll need to wait for someone who does to come along.

However, I saw this on a quick check with Uncle Google:

Open up task manager click more details app history on top bar double click on the app that wish to open and It should open normally. After that you should be able to open apps from desktop.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2408073/apps-stay-minimized-windows.html

And these:

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/57370-windows-8-1-apps-get-minimized-there-selves-instantly-afte.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-81-apps-get-minimized-themselves-instantly/70f4a968-ca37-492f-9130-decaff0a30fb

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/50592-most-metro-apps-not-loading-minimizes-no-error-messa.html

In that last link, Brink posted a reply to a tutorial for this at Eightforums.com:

Fix Store Apps and Tiles that are Not Working or Responding in Windows 8 and 8.1

Hope this helps,

Toms Hardware suggestion: no change

--------------

Eightforums: Asks for a Microsoft Account and well iirc that is unnecessary, using the diagcab & it fixed some service

------------------

Microsoft SFC scan = Windows Resource \protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.\log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example\ C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

DISM.exe = gives error 87 - doesn't recognise the command ''health''

---------------

RUNNING THE DIAGNOSTIC AGAIN

Issues found
Service registration is missing or corrupt
Detected
Reset service registration
Not run
Microsoft account required
Detected
Switch to Microsoft account
Not run

I'm not Windows 8 savvy & this person is not even computer savvy really - Windows 8 was supposed to make it easier for these people. 

I reset the Service registration but did not do a Microsoft account thing - that's up to them and a general pain in the rear.

NEXT STEP is to check Windows 8 is activated but doesn't say how - Somehow in all these instructions I managed to open Computer & noticed it said Windows Activated

The steps are practically useless - they tell me to open PC Settings then they do not say what to do from there

So after all this mucking around - we've established we only have a LOCAL ACCOUNT on this computer

================================

The instructions are near impossible to follow going through those many steps.  The CBS log from earlier was sent to Microsoft through the Action Center.

None of these things worked.  She doesn't wish to refresh the computer as it will lose the printer and some other things that have been installed and is not savvy enough to put them back on.  I may have done one of the apps in the early days.

This computer is only used for email and news & now I know why no one thinks highly of Windows 8

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

• Root Admin

FIRST LINK: Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Ran a scanhealth & it said The compoent store is repairable
Ran a restorehealth & it said "The component store corruption was repaired.

NOTHING CHANGED - I'm going to do a restart just in case before going to the second link (yes it was just a spacing error that gave the Error 87 before)

LINK 2 METHOD 1

Instructions weren't perfect but close enough to get me where I needed to go
Problems found: Windows Update components must be repaired - FIXED

METHOD 2 - not required.

METHOD 3 - I assume copy/paste and run of repair.bat worked.  checked for updates, downloaded and installed & rebooted but

NOTHING CHANGED

So nothing changed using all these methods.  Link 3 isn't needed as that was only a spacing error.