How easily can you get malware from YouTube?

Baldape

Hi I'm wondering how easy is it to get malware from YouTube if your blocking adds with a script blocker (Noscript/Umatrix)? The reason I ask is because I accidentally watched a couple of YouTube videos without Sandboxie which I normally use all the time, maybe I'm being paranoid but I would like to verify the odds of getting malware from YouTube namely drive by downloads from videos or scripts running on the site?  

Pretty low. 

The malware may come from malvertisements.  That is ads that appear on the web site that may rotate in an occasional malicious advertisement ( aka; malvertisement ).

The video themselves are under the control of Google's YouTube division and unless their site is compromised, I doubt they would push malicious content.

The only other way to get infected, is by actually clicking on the links in the video descriptions, and even then only if the links them selves lead to compromised sites or they meant to spread malware, Like in the case of videos that say they can get you paid software for free if you just click on the link in the description.

Pretty low. 

The malware may come from malvertisements.  That is ads that appear on the web site that may rotate in an occasional malicious advertisement ( aka; malvertisement ).

The video themselves are under the control of Google's YouTube division and unless their site is compromised, I doubt they would push malicious content.

Yeah like a Flash or Java exploits, and beause I have an adblocker plus Noscript the adblocker removes the ads and NS would prevent any exploits. 

The only other way to get infected, is by actually clicking on the links in the video descriptions, and even then only if the links them selves lead to compromised sites or they meant to spread malware, Like in the case of videos that say they can get you paid software for free if you just click on the link in the description.

Which I never click on any ads to begin with. Speaking of ads what about ads leaking malware on the webpage how well could a script blocker prevent that type of infection?

Basically you need to have a secure Browswer. You need Flash enabled but have Java on a 'need only' setting.

As you only specify Youtube I'll leave it there but all the common sense Anti Malware tools recommended on site would be a must. ;)

1st post

Cheers

Basically you need to have a secure Browswer. You need Flash enabled but have Java on a 'need only' setting.

As you only specify Youtube I'll leave it there but all the common sense Anti Malware tools recommended on site would be a must. ;)

1st post

Cheers

Well I don't believe allowed flash on YT but I definitely watched in HTML5 and I have JavaScript disabled.

Firefox 38.1 with Noscript, Request Policy, Bluhell Firewall, Disconnect and HTTPS Everywhere

Windows 7 64bit with all the important updates

Avast Free, MBAM Premium, SBIE & Zemana Antikeylogger free.

You need Flash enabled but have Java on a 'need only' setting.

You don't need Flash enabled in any web browser. You can set it to "On demand only" and allow it to run only on webpages where you need it. On Youtube, if you use a web browser that supports HTML5, it'll be used by default in opposition to Flash Player. Also web browsers like Internet Explorer 11 and Google Chrome have Flash built-in and they don't need to be installed straight on the system, which makes it easier for you to manage.