Notification icon "disappearing"

I just did an MBAM clean as the notification icon was "disappearing" for the lack of a better word. Just did a fresh install and now my activation KEY is not accepted. 

The Key, either typed in or copy | pasted is not accepted. Any suggestions ?

Disregard as it appeared that the paid or premium product registration requires careful copy | paste of both the ID and KEY.

I'm still seeing the notification icon disappear but as this is a fresh install, I will report back if the issue persists.

The notification icon issue has gone away although it may have been user induced - (devs please read this) - if a user terminated MBAM to allow a task and does not reboot or re-enable the software it will stay disabled until the next PC reboot. This I see as a slight problem that should be investigated.

What I did find is that the fresh re-install revealed that the automated scheduler had automatic updates missing.  In other words, updates were being fetched manually - all the while I had assumed that updates were being checked automatically. This is now fixed. There should be something in the software that checks if updating is working without user intervention.

The screen capture will show what was not contained in my last installation.

post-176-0-50325400-1431271716_thumb.png

Hi, siljaline:

System Tray Icon:

I'm not quite sure I understand the issue with the "user induced" disappearance of the MBAM Premium system tray icon?

Have you clicked the little white triangle in the notification area to "show hidden icons"?

What is the user doing to cause the icon to disappear?

Yes, if you right-click on that icon and select "exit" from the context menu, the MBAM icon will disappear from the system tray, because you have exited the program and its real-time protection.  AFAIK that is normal behavior.

In order to bring back the MBAM system tray icon, you would need to restart the program from the desktop shortcut icon, or from the Windows start menu or by rebooting the computer (assuming you have MBAM settings configured to start with Windows).  AFAIK, that is normal behavior, as well.

Or did I misunderstand the issue you report?

Updates:

As far as your updater settings, I think KenW is correct. 
You have your update checks scheduled to run hourly, with no "recover if missed by" setting.
For the record, automated, scheduled update checks are randomized +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time. 

So, your update checks should be occurring hourly +/- 15 minutes, but there will not always be an available database update each time.

Unless you have the Advanced setting in the scheduler enabled to "Show notification after successful update", update checks will be performed silently from the system account.
You can verify that they are running by opening the dashboard > history > application logs.  Then double-click on any PROTECTION log.

It will show those update checks for which a database update was available and for which an update was performed.

(Update checks performed for which no database update was available are not logged.)

If you need more help with any of this, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

NOTE: More info about v2.1.6 HERE; User Guide ONLINE; User Guide PDF; FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thank you,

I'd rather not disclose why I was terminating MBAM to perform other tasks. My original issue was that when it was re-enabled via the Program or via a PC reboot, it would terminate again. This has been fixed via the MBAM clean process.

For the thread lurkers; I've done Alpha and Beta testing for Marcin.  

See my screenie on notification behaviours - Is (at) defaults.

Since MBAM does not cosmetically show an update as it would interfere with your installed AV, I get that. 

Cannot sift through old log files as the old installation is gone but I do appreciate the tip to look in the PROTECTION.log

I should be good for now - I'll chime back here if there's anything else.

post-176-0-72580300-1431279541_thumb.png

Edited by siljaline

Hi:

I'd rather not disclose why I was terminating MBAM to perform other tasks. My original issue was that when it was re-enabled via the Program or via a PC reboot, it would terminate again. This has been fixed via the MBAM clean process.

It may have been something "one off" on your system, as we have not seen this problem reported here in the forum.

But, yes, a clean reinstall often resolves many minor issues.

See my screenie on notification behaviours - Is (at) defaults.

Yes, that shows the Windows settings for the icon behavior.
Alas, without knowing more details about the steps to cause the behavior you described, or the system on which it was observed, I'm not sure how the product team could attempt to replicate or fix the problem? :(

Since MBAM does not cosmetically show an update as it would interfere with your installed AV, I get that.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?
It was actually a RFF by users to make update checks "silent", with fewer notifications and popups.
IIRC The behavior was changed between versions 1.75 and 2.0.x, over a year ago.
However, in the scheduler for 2.x, there is an Advanced option to "Show Notification after Successful Update".

AFAIK, this has nothing to do with interfering with one's AV.
At least we have no reports here in the forum that enabling it causes problems (and it works just fine on my systems).

Cannot sift through old log files as the old installation is gone but I do appreciate the tip to look in the PROTECTION.log

I should be good for now - I'll chime back here if there's anything else.

Excellent.
Thanks for updating us.

If you run into further problems, please feel free to post back, preferably with the requested Diagnostic Logs.
They will greatly facilitate our ability to assist you.

Thanks again,