Malwarebytes working with Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi - I am running Malwarebytes premium and want to add exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

Firstly,am I right to do this is the section 'Malware Exclusions' - so when I go to add a file and as I am running a 64 bit computer, I then go to Program files (x86) and the only folder that looks like the folder I am looking for is named: Microsoft Security Client. Within this folder there are .dll type files and no .exe files.

Also, just checking, I have already done the exclusions on MSE, although there are references to a file to eclude called mbamgui.exe, but this does not exist on my computer? Is this ok and is there another file that I should exclude within MSE. Files already excluded in MSE are mbamservice.exe and mbam.exe.

Please help, thank you.

Hello and :welcome: , Bowraven:

Yes, KenW is correct.
That file is no longer used.

The MBAM files to exclude in MSE & your firewall are listed below.
As for MSE exclusions in MBAM, we'll need to wait for someone who uses MSE to weigh in about the specific exe files.
Or, you could exclude the folder -- an example showing Kaspersky is attached.

Thanks,
------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

post-29793-0-34375800-1430745347_thumb.p

Thank you for your replies - I have added the extra 3 files to MSE, as per your list re x86 computer.

I have discovered that even though I have a 64 bit computer, MSE lives in the 32 bit folder and the program file is at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe, which is the file I've addd to Malwarebytes - there are other exe files there and if any one knows if more should be added, please let me know, thank you.

By the way, I notice on your image that you've added Carbonite, which is a program that I use - is it recommended to add this please?

Again, thank you for your help, Russell

By the way, I notice on your image that you've added Carbonite, which is a program that I use - is it recommended to add this please?

No, AFAIK it's not necessary.

I only do that to be proactive.

If you have no problems with Carbonite without the exclusion, then you need not add it.

Cheers,

The only reason I thought this might be a problem, was that I started to get a 'freezing' of switching between programs, so if say I was on Outlook and tried to do something using my mouse, nothing would work. I would then try to switch to another program by clicking on my task bar and nothing worked. So I started by removing unwanted programs and especially those that start up automatically and then looked to virus/malware programs to see if this was having an effect - I though it work changing - using Windows 7, for the record.

Thank you.