Log all events, with a limit, optionally

CeeBee

Suggestion for future versions:

Add an Option to log "All Events" to the Settings Tab.  If possible with a log size limit in: a) number of events, b) number of days, or c) file size.

Why?  I find the notifications in the traybar "all day long" unneccessary distractions (even pitas, albeit small ones).  And, a log entry would confirm the type of protection applied (profile) .. and I could check the log to see that everyting works okay w/o the nuisance (imo) of the traybar baloon.

With this option the user (would be in command and) could chose between the traybar baloon and log entry or both.

Moreso than him I found the 'lack' of information available in the 'recent versions logs' annoying as it created doubt as to what protections were being applied within SBIE'd processes. Perhaps a separate, optional, log window is called for here to enable us who have need more information being enabled to access it for it whatever reason?

I had to resort to an older MBAE version to verify that it worked as intended and I expect there are other situations where that kind of information would end up being needed.

CeeBee,

If you don't want to see the notification, turn it off.  The setting is available for you to do that.  The notification was removed from the logs with this release because it gets in the way of being able to quickly inspecting the logs for actual problems.  If you want to know if MBAE is running, hover over the system tray and it will tell you.

CeeBee,

If you don't want to see the notification, turn it off.  The setting is available for you to do that.  The notification was removed from the logs with this release because it gets in the way of being able to quickly inspecting the logs for actual problems.  If you want to know if MBAE is running, hover over the system tray and it will tell you.

I think you misunderstand. It's not that we all don't want to see such notifications its that there is NO WAY TO SEE alerts that were previously available in MBAE. Eg no way to tell that a program is guarded by bottom up ALSR.

While I was trying to get SBIE to work with MBAE, there was no way, with the current version, for a user to ensure such protections were being enabled. In addition there was the issue of cmd and 'general' use that I wanted to know 'what was being guarded how' whereas the newer versions would not tell me. I was forced to resort to an older MBAE version to see this info and I think it is a very real and practical example of how such information should be 'optionally' made available to users.

I suppose I could bug pbust with logs over time, but I can't imagine he'd be happy reading and reporting them back  simply to tell me something that I could have read in a previous versions myself....

I hate not being able to edit so pardon all the separate entries! The point that there is [still] a reason to expose this information (logs) to users and there are a plethora of situations in which this information could be of use, and result in avoided tickets, for those of us who need such specific information to verify things. I'm not saying it should be included in the default log and mess with actual exploit cases, but perhaps a 'secondary log' could be exposed and made available within the advanced settings area to satisfy such cases?

CeeBee,

Gonzo, thanks, but you do miss the point!  And, besides, how could I miss the fact that the notification is now a turn on/off setting.  Unless, of course, I'm brain dead .. which I'm not.  This, of course, said jokingly!   :lol: 

As I said in my opening suggestion, by adding the option "Log All Events" to the Settings Tab (with a log size limit), the user would be "in command" and could chose between a tray baloon, a log entry or both.  And, so as to separate all events from problem events, you could, e.g., split Logs into two Tabs.

I realize that it's difficult to satisfy all users on UI related issues, but, by giving simple options (like I have suggested), you'll add transparency.  All I'm asking .. think about it for future versions.  Thanks.