Freggle

[SOLVED] Unable to (re-) install Anti-Exploit

Hi, 

:huh: l've been use AE (free version) for over a year now, and recently l took the offer on the 10 day Premium trial (just for the sake of it). Since the trial ran out l got a little tired of the pop up telling me the trial expired and removed AE from my laptop and reinstall the regular/free version again. l've tried now for 3 times in a row, but as soon as l open the download l get the message Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted. Error 5: Acces denied. l really haven't got a clue what's going on, since l've put the file in the same place as before (C downloads). l really want to have AE running again as soon as, can anyone shine a light on my problem please? Thanks for your time and effort!  :mellow:

PS: l do have the Premium version of MBAM, so l'm not a total 'freeloader'  ;) 

Try downloading MBAE again into a new directory, such as your Desktop for example. Then run it from there.

If that still doesn't work, try completely uninstalling MBAE from Control Panel, rebooting, and then downloading and running the installer again.

Hi, thanks for replying. l'll have another go installing it on desktop. Since l'm a total noob l have to ask what's meant by "uninstalling from control panel" (sorry :wub: ). l'll let you know how l got on anyway. Bye 4 now  :) 

Yess, it works! However, l'm still stuck with the notification that the Premium version is expired, instead of AE running, will that change by itself in time? And do you know why it wouldn't install in the other directory? 

Which Premium i saying it's expired, MBAE or MBAM? If it's MBAE I assume it's the trial. You can click on the expired message and it will prompt you to revert back to the Free version.

What do you mean by  "it wouldn't install in the other directory"?

Yes, it's the Premium AE l meant (l bought the MBAM). What l meant was, why wouldn't it install properly when l used the C downloads to file the program, oppose to desktop.

Ah I understand now.

Based on your previous feedback (Error 5: Access denied) it seems like the previous download was corrupt or incomplete.

Glad it is working now. Let me know if I can close this thread as solved.

l've tried to revert to the free version by clicking on the message, alas, it won't do anything. lt just says AE Premium (Trial expired)- Running?!

Btw, stopping protection and switching protection on again doesn't provide any other options either..

Reboot your computer. When it comes back you should get a traybar balloon notification saying that the trial is expired. Click on that balloon notification and you should get a prompt with 3 options, one of them being to revert to free.

Not that l mind but, the way it looks now is as the Premium version is running anyway (without having purchased it)..

Can you post a few screenshots showing the GENERAL, SHIELDS and ABOUT tabs?

Okay, l'll do that. l really have to go out now, but you can consider this thread closed (to satisfactory). Thanks again for your time and effort!  :)  

l was just about to close, we keep crossing eachother. l'll try to revert the way you told me too, if it doesn't work l'll be back later in the day (early evening) with screenshots. Really have to fly now, app. at the hospital. Bye 4 now!  :) 

Right. Well, l clicked the expired message straight after reboot (clicked on the spanner/wrench too): zip, nada, nothing. And l've also tried making screenshots (using "Awesome Screenshot"), but as soon as l click to execute any following actions, the AE window disappears. Unless you can tell me how l can get it to stick l'll be happy to give it go. lt looks like follows: the "general" has the black square with "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" and "running" underneath; the "shields" has some 20 applications (too many to type down) named; the "about" is similar to the "general", it says license ID: trial (and running too), www.malwarebytes.org and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit for Business, both in blue font, plus the two "Buy now" and "Activate" buttons. The essential message is that it is "running". Maybe it's a glitch and l do have the Premium version running still? With the risk of coming over as 'goody 2 shoes', l just think it's fair to mention the possibility of an error, even though it's to my benefit. Trust me, my E-actions are much too tame to really be needing a Premium AE, and l'm A-okay with the regular free version. let me know if there's any other way to make proper screenshots okay? l have to get started to get my din din going, so l might be a while before l get back. Bye 4 now. 

WTFF??! Where did my reply go? Are you kidding me? l just posted my logs and everythings gone?! l don't know what the Hell is going on AAAARGH.. FFS! Pardon my french. Okayy, ONE MORE TRY. And again, sorry unzipped (hang on, maybe that was the problem? Too flipping long? Must be it. lf l could only remember how to put in a file. Think..). Sorry, not just a noob, l'm also a total knob! Please supply -simpleton- instructions how to put the log data into a file for attachment. Believe it or not, l used to know how to, even did so several times, but l'm at a total blank, and my ADD isn't helping either. O mann.. back in the morning, sorry for the inconvenience :wub:  

Just had a brief moment of clarity, and thought l remembered how to attach the log files (service and default). Seems to've worked, has it? (please say yes and save me from eternal embarrasment) Continue in the morning me thinks. Bye 4 now  -_-

mbae-service.log

mbae-default.log

PS: You probably didn't need/want the default log, which btw looks like its written by JK Rowling, but l added it just because. The rest l couldn't open (unless l had the right program for it, which oc is a joke) and they weren't "logs" anyway. Okay, over&out.

Thanks for the logs. Let's try the following:

1- Close all running applications (browsers, Office, PDF readers, etc.)

2- From Start -> Control Panel, uninstall MBAE

3- Reboot

4- Delete the MBAE logs directory (C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit)

5- Download and install MBAE from our website again.

You should get a completely fresh install then. Let me know if that works.

Evening all! (well, close) Sorry l'm late, playing catch-up all morning. Anywaaays... seems somehow the problem is solved. l say somehow, but the reason is when l started my laptop up l tried again clicking on the pesky notification, THIS time it did offer me the option (amongst others) to revert. Which l did. l have no clue whatsoever why it didn't show the prompt yesterday, and to be honest l cannot be bothered, since now l'm having issues with my W. update which is my next little 'project' (sigh). Was there anything out of the ordinairy showing in my logs? Guess not, l take it you would've said so. 

Right, we can definitely close this thread me tinks. Thanks again for your time and effort (not to forget patience). Till we meet again some sunny day.  :) Bye!

Thanks for confirming and glad you got it working!

Closing this thread as solved for now.