TwinHeadedEagle

Winsock reset

Did you consider adding this feature to MalwareBytes after spotting Adware variants that mess with Winsock, such as PureLeads?

PUP.Optional.Winsock.Hijack, C:\Windows\System32\plsapp64.dll, Delete-on-Reboot, [c13df37c840689ad186ace855da8a957], 
PUP.Optional.Winsock.Hijack, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\plsapp.dll, Delete-on-Reboot, [986671fee8a23ff7a5de4a0974919070], 

This removal above will render internet unusable. A lot of people are actually afraid to lose their internet connection after removing malware ;)

I am not sure, but it appears that connection got broken after running MalwareBytes

Winsock: Catalog9 01 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9 02 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9 03 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9 04 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9 15 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9-x64 01 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx64.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9-x64 02 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx64.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9-x64 03 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx64.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9-x64 04 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx64.dll File Not found
Winsock: Catalog9-x64 15 C:\Windows\system32\VOTPrx64.dll File Not found

Hi TwinHeadedEagle,

He should have had a prompt after the first reboot that MalwareBytes Anti-Malware needed to reboot the computer once more to restore the connection.

I will see if I can get my hands on the installer for that one and if we can reproduce the situation.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

He should have had a prompt after the first reboot that MalwareBytes Anti-Malware needed to reboot the computer once more to restore the connection.

So, in essence, the computer needs to reboot twice in order for the Internet connection to remain?

So, in essence, the computer needs to reboot twice in order for the Internet connection to remain?

Correct. If the situation applies the users should get this prompt after he first reboot:

post-2358-0-07972200-1435735457_thumb.pn

That will reset the Winsock so that the connection will be functional again.

Yes, I know this is an old thread.  But it came up when I did a [general internet] search for "malwarebytes winsock repair".
This result is the closest...although this discussion in the Win 10 forum directly addresses the issue:  https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/111111-malwarebytes-adwcleaner-basic-repair-question.html
(Not a member there and not running Win 10 so I didn't respond.)

Anyway, Metallica asked for instances, and I just had one.  I'm not having problems w/ my computer, but was making a document about "repairing" some problems, and while doing that was getting the newest versions of many programs, and running them so I could accurately describe what someone might see.  I ran AdwCleaner (it got the latest version--7.2.0).  It didn't find anything (no threats), but it had what the OP described at the end--"You may optionally want to run a Basic Repair which will reset Winsock and other settings to their default values."

I hesitated, but then--mostly because I thought I could trust Malwarebytes--I thought 'what the heck,' and let it run the Basic Repair.

After the shutdown/reboot, it took quite a long time for Windows to start after I entered my password, and when it did open, there was an immediate "alert" in the corner.  I didn't jot it down or get a screenshot of it, but if I remember correctly, it was something about Windows being unable to connect to the Event Service (??).  Anyway, I had no Internet connection.
Fortunately, I had run another program shortly before running AdwCleaner, and that program had created 2 Restore Points.  I used one of them to fix the laptop.

NO, I did not get any prompt that the computer needed another reboot to fix anything.  Not from Malwarebytes or anything else.

Since I'd just downloaded AdwCleaner v. 7.1.1.0 (which updated to v. 7.2.0 upon opening), and wasn't actually running it to fix a problem, all settings were still at their defaults.

As TwinHeadedEagle noted, the loss of the Internet connection/s totally surprised me, and nearly threw me into a panic.  I don't know much about OSs--I basically know how to look up info/help for a current problem.  But I can't do that if I can't get online!  Thankfully I remembered the Restore System option.  And it worked.

I'm not on too many forums, but wanted to let someone know about this, especially since a new version/build was JUST released.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I might have gotten screenshots of things--or noted things--that would give you an answer.

Thank you for documenting this issue.  I will see that this information is brought to the QA and Product teams for further analysis.