What is Windows 7?

• Root Admin

Business rejected it for many reasons.

1. The hardware requirements of Vista.

Take a business that has hundreds or thousands of computers that run XP just fine but are a slug on Vista, well they certainly don't want to spend money on buying new hardware just to run Vista.

2. Ghosting/Imaging. Microsoft again changed the methods, rules, and licensing of how you can image a system which again when you're dealing with thousands of systems is a big change and COSTS MONEY to alter that routine.

3. Remote management. Yes, Vista is more secure but that extra security actually causes extra work for System Admins. Many have dozens or more scripts that work perfectly fine when remotely scanning or managing a remote system. Now it requires a LOT more knowledge and work-arounds to manage those systems. GPO does not do everything many Admins want or need to do.

etc., etc...

You have to realize that most large corporations don't have as many issues as home users do. Most large companies don't allow users to have Admin rights, they have a ton of perimeter security protecting them as well as desktop security and reporting, etc. So they don't have the same concerns as most home users, thus XP has been doing a good job for them for many years. Vista is a good product and is more secure, etc BUT for the large corporation you need MORE than that to justify spending MILLIONS of dollars to update becuase they need to show on the books a ROI (Return On Investment) that easily exceeds the costs of the upgrades, which Vista can not currently provide. I'm not so sure that Windows 7 can either, but at some point even the Corporate World will be forced to move on to a new OS for various other reasons which have more to do with the ever advancing software technology that will not run well on weaker powered machines and older OS like Windows XP.

Very true, and businesses are MS's largest customer. I know of many companies that still run on 2000 (great OS :huh: ). And I agree, for all that MS added to Vista and changed, it does not benefit business as much as they claimed (not even close), but for the average user who comes by here (often badly infected) Vista, especially x64, could've prevented, or at least decreased the severity of their problems.

Yep! but the price for something that I just saw on the GoMonkey project that exile360 posted $$$$$$$

I'm afraid to think about it

A long time ago I read about Moore's Law that had to do with processing power of CPU chips that would double in 18 months and be half the price.

With software it needed the faster hardware to perform adequately as more and more functionality was implemented so now there's quad cores, fast RAM and solid state hard drives to enable the functionality but the cost of the software to provide the functionality has stayed about the same for each upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

@ AdvancedSetup:

Thanks!

I googled Windows 7 today and found a page about it on microsofts website and poked around on it. It looks really interesting.