What is Windows 7?

Thanks for the link! I was so baffled. I thought it was a new browser or a program or something.

Very interesting! Updates all the time, eh? :huh:

Guest victimized

Windows 7 is an upgraded version of windows vista, in which you could run in "XP" Mode, for Windows XP. It includes a majority of bug fixures and other new things.

Guest victimized

@Exile. I would wait until I could buy a Windows 7 that comes with the option of choosing XP Mode once it is out of beta and safe to use and sell.

I'll be skipping 7 as I'm extremely content with Vista. I expect their next offering (Windows 8?) will have more significant changes and that's probably the next OS I'll use after Vista. Great article too, I figured it would be out later this year, although I'd originally heard around November or December, but that was long ago and considering how rapidly they've been getting 7 developed, the earlier release date doesn't surprise me too much. It gives them more time to have it rolled out and installed on OEM systems for the holiday.

• Root Admin
Too bad XP Mode will only be available for Ultimate, Enterprise and Professional editions of Windows 7 (for those who need it at least, XP is just a faded memory for me :) ).

Its an annoyance for System Administrators trying to do automated scripting and management. GPO does not do everything you want to do. I was perfectly fine with XP myself but alas no choice sooner or later I'll be stuck supporting Windows 7 - we've managed to keep Vista out of network aside from a couple of systems.

Their new event log mechanism is a pain to manage I think, too fragmented. Their use of scheduled tasks has flown through the roof now.

Guest victimized

I'll be skipping 7 as I'm extremely content with Vista. I expect their next offering (Windows 8?) will have more significant changes and that's probably the next OS I'll use after Vista. Great article too, I figured it would be out later this year, although I'd originally heard around November or December, but that was long ago and considering how rapidly they've been getting 7 developed, the earlier release date doesn't surprise me too much. It gives them more time to have it rolled out and installed on OEM systems for the holiday.
I guess they won't start developing another type of windows in three or four years.

Actually they've already started development on Windows 8 and they're planning on releasing it around 2012 (or sooner if development comes along the way it did with 7).

@AdvancedSetup: Yes, there are many hurdles in managing Vista, or doing anything too low-level to control it for that matter, but they did add a few nice commands and enhancements to existing ones that I like for doing my batch files. And yes, if you look at all the scheduled tasks on a fresh install of Vista (Ultimate in particular), there are an immense amount of them, many of which are quite unnecessary in my opinion. Of course, I disable a few as part of my system tweaks.

Guest victimized
Actually they've already started development on Windows 8 and they're planning on releasing it around 2012 (or sooner if development comes along the way it did with 7).

@AdvancedSetup: Yes, there are many hurdles in managing Vista, or doing anything too low-level to control it for that matter, but they did add a few nice commands and enhancements to existing ones that I like for doing my batch files. And yes, if you look at all the scheduled tasks on a fresh install of Vista (Ultimate in particular), there are an immense amount of them, many of which are quite unnecessary in my opinion. Of course, I disable a few as part of my system tweaks.

!!! They haven't even released Windows 7 yet and they started Windows 8. Great, it just makes you wait more and the reason they are doing this is too make more and more money.

Great, it just makes you wait more and the reason they are doing this is too make more and more money.
While I certainly can't argue with that, it is also because Windows 7 and indeed even Vista, are the final stepping stones heading towards a new type of interface (at least according to MS). They are planning on completely replacing explorer with some new type of interface and they are also planning on getting rid of the Start Menu. I've seen many concepts, but they are most likely just creative users' guesses at what it will be like. The next one after 7 shouldn't be based on Vista as 7 was, but will be rewritten from the ground up, the same as Vista was going from XP. This is how they plan to implement Windows in the future, doing a first release, doing an "improved" release 2 years later based on the same primary code that gradually transitions people over to something new 2 years after that and they cycle will repeat. It's very similar to their current philosophy with MS Office.

Guest victimized

Well instead of making things look better they should at least add some default Windows software and make it easier to use, just better.

Yes, supposedly that's the idea (ease of use). MS is currently (and has been for a while now) investigating more natural ways to interact with PC's. Things like tablets, Surface and Media Center came out of this and they are still thinking of new ways to innovate and of course they're looking into "Minority Report" style motion based interfaces (which Sun and GoMonkey sort of beat them to utilizing Sun's Project Looking Glass).

• Root Admin

Windows 7 is an Operating System just like Windows 95/98 - Windows XP/Vista.

It is actually an update to Vista due to Microsoft receiving such negative feedback and poor acceptance of Vista overall that they went back to the drawing board so to speak and worked on fixing and updating most of the more problematic problems and complaints that many users had. Overall reviews for Windows 7 seem to indicate that many that despised Vista now seem to like Windows 7 and it's changes.

Guest victimized
Windows 7 is an Operating System just like Windows 95/98 - Windows XP/Vista.

It is actually an update to Vista due to Microsoft receiving such negative feedback and poor acceptance of Vista overall that they went back to the drawing board so to speak and worked on fixing and updating most of the more problematic problems and complaints that many users had. Overall reviews for Windows 7 seem to indicate that many that despised Vista now seem to like Windows 7 and it's changes.

It includes many bug fixtures, and was partially developed this way by the feedback, like you said.

Yes, I'm sure it's expensive, if they even continued development. I haven't heard anything new in over a year. As far as Windows 7, yes feedback played a big part, but others complaints do not mirror my own. I prefer Vista to XP and I don't like the new "SuperBar" in Windows 7. I know you have the option to change it to the Vista one, but that's not the only factor. Others' gripes about Vista, like UAC etc don't bother me at all. I'm used to it. Apple has had similar functionality for years and so has Linux. Windows users just aren't used to having a guarded OS. If you want to see some of my comments on Vista and those by many others you can check out this long post over at Bleeping Computer: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic226843.html . It should make for a good read. My best (and biggest) posts are on the second page.