Eagleeye

Secunia PSI - need help resolving the gray icon for 3 days now

I've never used any 3rd party tool for updates beyond testing but I would have to agree with digmorcrusher in that version 3 just seemed to add too much unneeded stuff and really seemed to require much more resources to run. Version 2 was probably the last "good" version for those that do need such a product.

digmor, do you have an installer for the version 2?

Looks like the old one can be downloaded from here (at least as of today 04/19/2015) not sure how long into the future the link will remain good.

http://secunia-psi.software.informer.com/download/?ca11d8b

http://secunia-psi.software.informer.com/download/?ca11d8b

VT Scan shows 0/56

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/ad89e9070bdfb9dcfa604071a0a1b7d8c0d4c11612f074e61402f8e3513552a5/analysis/1429489434/

Thank you Ron. I'll download it and keep it in my installers archive and if v3 decides to break on me, I'll downgrade to version 2.

Here's the latest response received back from Secunia to my 2nd inquiry:

------------------------------------------BEGIN RESPONSE MESSAGE-----------------------

Hi,

Some possible solutions to the scanning problems in the PSI can be found here: http://secunia.com/c...problem_updated

If you can't get it to work, trying version 2 can be an idea as you said yourself. A download link can be found here: http://secunia.com/support/download/

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen

Villiam Bartholdy, IT Supporter

-------------------------------------------END OF RESPONSE MESSAGE-----------------------

Version 3 is continuing to work as it should...for now.  Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same issue as I.

Cheers!

EE

That's what I noticed too when he PM'd me the reply. Bookmarked this link since I see a lot of people asking for installers for SecuniaPSI v1 and v2, so I'll just link them the official downloads and keep one of each in my archive.

Good morning everyone,

Just another update here about Secunia PSI v3.

V3 worked for a few days, i.e. the tray icon would show its normal green color.  However, it subsequently went on the fritz again.  As before, Task Manager (Processes tab) showed the psi_tray_icon, but under the [Services] tab, the Secunia PSIAgent was shown as stopped, nor could I start the process from Task Manager either.

I finally removed all traces of v3 from my computer and downloaded PSI v2 again.  Thus far, it seems to be working o.k.  The only quirk seems to be in the scan results.  It keeps showing an Itunes program v10xxx as being at end-of-life (apparently that version was for 32-bit systems).  In the Control Panel > Programs and Features, only the most current version 12xxx (for x64) is being shown.  I do not see the older version Secunia is giving the alert on.

Best regards,

EE

On 7/4/2015 at 0:31 PM, Eagleeye said:

Good morning everyone,

The Secunia PSI program that's been on my computer for a few years now has been displaying a gray icon in the Taskbar Notification area for 3 days now.

I've restarted the computer 4 times and still the icon will not return to the green color.  All programs on this computer are up-to-date, including all Windows updates.  I've also attempted to post in the PSI Forum several times, but there is apparently some problem there.  I have no trouble logging-in to my account and creating the post.  But, when I click on the [SUBMIT] button, it displays a dialog box telling me to select a forum to post in, despite the fact I was already in the PSI Forum when I clicked on the "Create a new thread" button.  I also do not see any place on the screen to select a forum.

In addition, I sent an inquiry to Secunia Support.  All I got back was some email advertisement for their CSI program.  (I'm guessing they only reply to paying customers).

My questionIs there some way to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your time and any help!

EE

Even though Secunia says that all programs are updates, go to the bottom of the page at click: "scan again". The icon then turns green after the scan.

Thanks for your reply, Pollux.

The issue I originally reported with Secunia PSI has not been a problem for over a year now.  I had simply gone back to using PSI v2 and everything has continued to function normally since that time.

Regards,

EE