So to get this out of the way now, I'm running an XP x64 machine, yes it's an old OS, but I disagree with design decisions made on the versions since, and up till now it wasn't causing major issues.

However, today my computer decided that it didn't want to load after hitting the desktop and bringing up the sound and USB icons. It crashed repeatedly upon attempting to load what I think is AVG if I remember it's boot order right. So off to the net to find an answer.

Long search short, it's now in safe mode and unable to connect to the net at all, or see the current home network. I've run AVG command line scans, which found nothing, but given when it was crashing, and given the log I eventually found within the system that said the bluescreen (a x17 I think, been a few hours of work since then)  was because of registry errors that mostly included things with avg in the name, I'm not surprised.

Someone in the line of searches said to run Malwarebytes, so since I have it on the computer already I did. Which brought me to, eventually, this page;

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/132104-runtime-error-13-type-mismatch/

Another search lead me to trying the Chameleon exe, and that brought me to this page;

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/85715-faq-malwarebytes-anti-malware-wont-run-or-failed-to-resolve-my-issues/#entry434002

Where I learned that Chameleon will indeed install, or so it says, but then this;

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/114368-has-secure-shield-mutated/

At which point I attempted to download and transfer to a flash drive the setup folder from the link provided (on the laptop I'm currently using to post this, which is a win8). However I can't transfer the file (though it downloaded correctly as far as I can tell) because every time I try to copy or move the file, it tells me it doesn't exist in that location anymore, because.....logic?

Anyway, I'm at a loss at this point, beyond backing up everything and then nuking my hard drive. I'd rather not do that, since it's currently set up as a dual boot with Ubuntu and XP, and it took several tries to keep XP from destroying the grub loader as soon as it was installed, in other words a pain in the ass. (Not to mention Ubuntu doesn't recognize my graphics card. XD )

Help plox? It's late and this is a bit beyond my experience.

Hello and :welcome: :

We are not permitted to work on possible malware-related issues here in this section of the forum.

So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks,