SCR4514

Quarantine v2.1.4

Has there been any change in the quarantine process in v2.1.4 over previous versions.

Specifically, will Malwarebytes still quarantine what it finds automatically even if "Automatically quarantine detected items" is not selected in "Advanced settings"?

To be clear I'm asking about the Premium version with real time protection enabled. Not the free version or during scans.

We did not specifically change anything with this behavior in the 2.1.4 release.

The way it's supposed to work now is, if "Automatically quarantine detected items" is not checked, then any threats detected will not be quarantined immediately. A notification will instead be presented, and you must choose how to respond. If you do not respond to the notification within forty (40) seconds, only then will the threat be quarantined automatically.

By way of a follow-up, could you please confirm the situation with regard to both the free 1.75 and free 2.1.4 versions? My understanding through use of 1.75 is that it does not have auto-quarantine, does that mean that it does not force a quarantine under any circumstances and only gives you the notifications, or does the 40 seconds timer requirement apply so that if you do not watch over the scan you will get auto-quarantine applying after 40 seconds anyway?  Whatever the answer is to that question, does the same answer also apply to the free 2.1.4 version?

To clarify my last post in the absence of an edit button, as I'm asking about the free versions, I am of course talking about quarantine notifications during manual scans.

Thanks to SCR4514 for the original question and to bdubrow for the response.

To clarify my last post in the absence of an edit button, as I'm asking about the free versions, I am of course talking about quarantine notifications during manual scans.

@Seffrid -- We discussed this a few months ago and it sounds as if things haven't changed. Detections found during a manual scan in the 'free' version do not get auto-quarantined. An explanation by an MB staff member, Jekko : 

Allow me to clarify a little bit.

Under Advanced Settings, Automatically quarantine detected items is specifically for real-time protection.  Real-time protection monitors what applications/files are being executed and will quarantine the file automatically if it is seen as malware.

Now, it sounds like you are talking about scheduled scans automatically quarantining items after a scan or scheduled scan has finished... That is a completely different case.  Items detected by a manual scan will never be automatically quarantined (The 40 second rule does not apply!).  Items detected by a scheduled scan can be automatically quarantined, but you need to set a specific option in the scheduled task's options:

attachicon.gifScheduled_Advanced.png

As shown in the screenshot, items in a scheduled scan will only be quarantined if the option Quarantine all threats automatically is checked.  This is shown by adding/editing a scheduled scan and clicking the Advanced button on the bottom.

Thread here : https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/158478-auto-quarantine/?hl=auto-quarantine

Hi, all:

This topic is entirely above my pay grade and best answered the Dev Team and other staff.

But I know there is vigorous discussion ongoing in at least one other, general computer forum about this topic.

So, I just thought I would post this link back to a reply in another earlier thread here in July 2014.
exile360 explained quite clearly the rationale behind the need for the auto-quarantine timeout in RTP.

Staff will correct me if I am wrong, but I presume that explanation remains valid, in version 2.1, as it was for version 2.0.

Just thought I would mention it, if it helps.

Cheers!

(P.S. @Seffrid, as @Shrugged correctly pointed out, the behavior under discussion relates to the Realtime Protection (RTP) of the Paid, Premium version, not to scans (Free or Paid).)