PNG processing vulnerability

hake

Concerning MS15-024 of March 2015 Patch Tuesday updates, Microsoft states "The vulnerability could allow information disclosure if an attacker convinces a user to visit a website that contains specially crafted PNG images."

Is this the kind of thing that MBAE is likely to be able to mitigate?

Thank you Pedro.  That is very valuable.  The Adobe font driver vulnerability is said to be a 'nasty' one.  In addtion to MS Office applications can it also affect web browsing?

I can source a POSReady update (KB3032323) to immunise Windows XP from the Adobe font problem but would prefer not to since there was an update in February's Patch Tuesday which caused MS Office fonts to be malformed in XP (I'm still unaware which KB was responsible).  I am now very circumspect with MS updates for POSReady.

• Staff

Yes as time goes by the updates applied to XP using the POSReady trick will become more and more un-trustworthy.

It might be best to have a spare XP box or VM running on where to test the POSReady updates prior to applying them to the production XP box.

I have identified the cause of the distorted fonts.  It was KB3013455.  This KB also caused problems for Windows Vista and Windows 2008 Server so the XP updates 'fix' was not to blame.  I have now caught up with the Patch Tuesday updates for both February and March 2015  without incident, the systems behaving properly on restart.  I take the hint about doing a trial run before committing to the updates.  Judging from the recent Windows 7 reboot loop after an update, legit MS Windows updates are also an act of faith by the user.