[SOLVED] Get white screen when using chrome with anti-exploit

When I "start protection" using Anti-Exploit and bring up Chrome Version 41.0.2272.76 m ....a white screen comes up with a blue bar across the top -  please see attachment.

Now after I click "start protection" and get error of white screen, I exit Chrome. I then "Stop Protection" ..
when I relaunch Chrome, same error.
I have to go into Task Manager Background processes and stop all instances of Google chrome before I can relaunch Google Chrome and have it working, or reboot to get Chrome to work ok again.

Internet Explorer seems to work AOK

Is there a solution to this issue?

Chrome extensions:

Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF (enabled)

Bitdefender QuickScan (not enabled)

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Rich Internet Application Support (not enabled)

Logitech Smooth Scrolling (not enabled)
LogMeIn  (enabled)

Norton Identity Safe (not enabled)

Norton Safe Search as default for Chrome

Norton Security Toolbar (enabled)

Windows Media Player Extension for HTML5 (not enabled)

Win8.1Pro 64
Malwarebytes Anit-Malware 
Norton Security

ChromeNotLoadingWithMBAE.pdf

I will upload logs when I return to the computer that I installed ant-exploit.

Below is the scenario that prompted me to post on this forum:

I installed and Anti-Exploit, "Started Protection" and then when I attempted to go to internet using Chrome (which I've been using for years), I noticed the issue.

I then stopped protection with Anti-Exploit, but the issue persisted with Chrome.  Chrome worked normally after rebooting or if I stopped instances of Chrome that I saw in Task Manager.

Thank you for your reply.

Interesting, there doesn't seem to be an alert from MBAE.

Can you please post your FRST logs to see if there is something installed on your computer that may be conflicting with MBAE?

The issue appears to be an interaction between Anti-Exploit and the Chrome GPU process.  If I have Anti-Exploit running (that is I double clicked it and I see it running in Windows Task Manager), Chrome fails to load properly, whether or not protection is enabled or disabled in Anti-Exploit.  If I go to Chrome's task manager (not Windows), that is, I right click tabs bar & select task manager, I can see the processes that Chrome is running.  Once Anti-Exploit has been running, whether or not protection is enabled or disabled,  I will get a white screen with a blue tabs bar when I call up Chrome.  In order for Chrome to work again, I have to disable protection, close out of Anti-Exploit, and END THE Chrome GPU PROCESS.  Please see attachment  

ChromeAnti-ExploitGPU.pdf

Hi Steve. Without the FRST or DDS logs we cannot troubleshoot any further. We need to be able to see what's installed on your machine that may be conflicting with MBAE to rule out certain things before we continue to the next troubleshooting steps. As an alternative we could do a remote tech support session if you prefer.

Thanks for the logs Steve.

We do have a known issue with PowerDVD, but it's always been with Internet Explorer, not Chrome. Even then it might be interesting to uninstall PowerDVD to see if that is the root of the conflict.

Also you might want to upgrade to the latest MBAE 1.06 Release Candidate to see if it solves the problem:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/166127-mbae-106-release-candidate/

Thank you for responding to my post.

I am using MBAE 1.06 and the problem persists.  I am using a trial version of MBAE that expires in a couple of days. 

Can you uninstall PowerDVD and reboot your computer to see if the problem persists?

If that doesn't solve the problem, the next step would be to create a new Chrome profile without any of the plugins/extensions, and then enable them one by one until we find the one that causes the problem.

I uninstalled PowerDVD & Rebooted - problem persists

If I go to Windows task manager and stop a particular Chrome process, Chrome seems to work, except for gmail - please see attachment.

If I start a new Chrome profile, I'd like to be able to revert back to Chrome in the present iteration if I still cannot get Anti-exploit to work with it. 

GoogleChrome+AntiExploit.pdf

Let's test the following:

1- Close all instances of Chrome

2- Go to MBAE Advanced Configuration and turn off Application Hardening and OS Bypass Protection mitigations for Chrome Browsers.

3- Start Chrome

Does it solve the issue? If it does, do the following

1- Close all instances of Chrome

2- Go to MBAE Advanced Configuration and turn on the Application Hardening and OS Bypass Protection mitigations one at a time.

3- Start Chrome

4- If the issue does not re-appear, go back to step 1 and turn on another mitigation. Repeat until you find the conflicting mitigation.

Initially -

1) OS ByPass Protection --> if any of the boxes are checked, GMAIL will not work

2) Application Hardening --> initially will get white screen

We've tried every which way to replicate this in various environments and could not.

This problem might be due to another conflict on your system.

Please uninstall MBAE, reboot, and re-install it again to see if the problem persists. If it does, contact me and we can perform a remote support session to try to troubleshoot further.

I am experiencing the same problem and it is only with Google Chrome. I see the same error when I activate the first Chrome browser session. I acknowledge the error three times before the error goes away.

"Chrome.exe - Application error

"The exception unknown software exception (0xcC0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x00fe2483"

I currently have Google disabled in Shields list. All other programs appear to be working correctly.

I found that I can get Crome to work correctly with MWB if I disable all extensions. If I have any extension enabled, I receive the error.

Hi Eazytime, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Can you please do the following:

1- Disable all Chrome extensions and close Chrome. Then open Chrome and enable extensions one-by-one, closing and opening Chrome in-between each additional extension being enabled until you find the one that is causing the conflict.

2- Can you also please post an FRST log and the MBAE logs?

Thanks!

Click the "readme first" link in my signature. It is the first pinned post of this forum.