MBAE service starts then immediately terminates

hake

MBAE service starts then immediately terminates.

I have had cause to install AVG 2015 Free.  Coincidentally with doing this, MBAE will not run.  I am now running Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 9.1.

MBAE was working well with Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro 9.1.  The OS is Windows XP SP3.

I haven't tried AVG but no issues here running OSS 9.1 on Windows 7 x64...not much help I know but I'd be surprised if that was the culprit. May want to check the application rules and ensure none of the wules from HIPs are blocking access for the service. In mine I have it allowed for Memory injection and termination.

There is evidently an interaction between AVG 2015 and Outpost Firewall Pro 9.1.  MBAE works OK when either AVG or Outpost Firewall is installed but not both.  I took care to ensure that I installed AVG before Outpost Firewall and that in installing Outpost I made sure that it took account of the presence of AVG.  That is as much as I can say.  I guess that there more than a few who use both AVG and Outpost Firewall.  My observations apply only to XP.  I have not had an opportunity to try this with Windows 7.

• Staff

Interesting find hake, thanks for posting this.

I reminds me of the old conflicts we had under XP. But those should be solved since a couple of MBAE versions ago.

We'll have our QA team try to replicate it to see where the conflict comes from.

I found that unless Outpost Firewall Pro is allowed to make adjustments for incompatibilties with AVG at installation, the two seem to fight like crabs in a jar.  After installing Outpost, I restored a config file for another installation of Outpost Firewall.  This probably would not have incorporated the compatibility adjustments for AVG.  The result was that my system was susceptible to random spontaneous restarts.  Stability was recovered when I reinstalled Outpost properly and did not introduce another config file.  I mention this in case it reveals something useful.

The answer of course is to use Outpost Security Suite which I normally do.  This, as btmp has confirmed, works perfectly with MBAE.

• Staff

Our QA installed both the same versions of AVG and Outpost that you reported under an XP (with default config) and could not replicate the problem.

Is there any special configuration you did under Outpost to trigger the incompatibilities with AVG and MBAE?

That's good news.  It shows that there is no inherent problem.  I would imagine that it is a problem particular to this incarnation of Windows XP.  I used no special configuration of Outpost Firewall Pro other than to allow it to adjust to AVG for compatibility.

There are other AV products I could try but as long as Agnitum Outpost Security Suite continues to support Windows XP, I do not need to resort to using the Outpost firewall product which does not absolutely depend on data updates in order to function.  That is why I was trying out AVG.  The problem also occurred with MBAE 1.04 by the way.  I have a copy of the system with AVG and Outpost Firewall on a removable hard drive so can give the next MBAE version a go when it is released.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also observed this problem occurring with BitDefender Free AV in combination with either PrivateFirewall or Outpost Firewall Pro.  With either of these in use without the other MBAE functions properly but when the two are both installed then MBAE dies.  On the other hand, the combination of Avast with either of PrivateFirewall or Outpost Firewall Pro does not prevent MBAE from functioning.

Do BitDefender and AVG AV products have some characteristic in common which Avast lacks?

I have discovered another possible cause of this.  A few weeks ago, I had a brief dalliance with OnlineArmor.  Aftet Agnitum had sorted an Outpost Security Suite problem, I reverted to Outpost.  This entailed uninstalling OnlineArmor which I did and entrusted the tidying up of registry entries and driver files that I assumed were taken care of after the restart initiated by the uninstall process.

Blissfully unaware that this tidying had not actually taken place, I continued to use XP and experienced occasional spontaneous restarts.  This bothered me as a potential sign that my motherboard might be showing signs of age.  Sandboxie finally gave me the clue as it was stating that it was detecting OnlineArmor for its software compatibilty adjustments.  I found that installing OnlineArmor, refusing it permission to run and instead immediately uninstalling it finally exorcised the problem remnants of OnlineArmor.  Sandboxie is now happy and my system no longer spontaneously restarts.

I have not yet had a chance to recreate the scenario for the MBAE/AVG/Outpost issue but circumstantial evidence suggests that the unwanted drivers (the only files in folder C:\Windows\System32\driver called oa*.sys) were active and there were undeleteable registry entries which referenced them.  I will post again on confirming my hunch.