Is this a virus? Help.

Hello, 

I have recently been seeing a file on my desktop appear for 2 seconds and disappear. It seems to happen randomly. I think it looks like a text file and has a random name such as "ef4gpb12a". I am currently using a Mac laptop. What could this be? Is it a virus? I scanned but nothing came up.

Hello weenie and :welcome:

The Malwarebytes products do not deal with Mac laptops or OS X based operating systems unless you have made the necessary modifications for dual booting to include Microsoft's Windows operating systems.

If you do have a very recent edition of OS X installed, such as Yosemite 10.10.2, you do have some Apple provided significant and integral malware protection.

FWIW - Files whose random filenames consistantly change could be the product of polymorphic malware.

I would suggest searching Google for one of the many Apple support sites that populate the Internet.

Thank you. :)

Hello weenie and :welcome:

The Malwarebytes products do not deal with Mac laptops or OS X based operating systems unless you have made the necessary modifications for dual booting to include Microsoft's Windows operating systems.

If you do have a very recent edition of OS X installed, such as Yosemite 10.10.2, you do have some Apple provided significant and integral malware protection.

FWIW - Files whose random filenames consistantly change could be the product of polymorphic malware.

I would suggest searching Google for one of the many Apple support sites that populate the Internet.

Yes I use parallels to run windows on my Mac. Okay I will take a look at polymorphic malware, thanks for the reply.

Hello weenie:

Since you suspect the Windows OS portion of your Mac laptop could be infected, and malware removal actions are not permitted in this sub-forum, I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

If you would like to get off to a very fast start, the Malware Removal Experts would appreciate it if you would also Copy and Paste (not attach) both the FRST.txt and the Addition.txt output diagnostic reports from only Log Set 1 into your new topic.

Please make it quite clear to your Malware Removal Helper that your Mac laptop has a Windows OS installed. This will serve to minimize delay and confusion.