popcap

red8397

Lavasoft investigated popcap and came back the next day stating that they removed it from their definitions.

From alleged popcap customer support to Lavasoft forums:

I am a Customer Support tech at PopCap Games, Inc. – PopCap Games is the world market leader for premium casual games www.popcap.com.
A customer has reported a malware notification related to PopCap's Internet Explorer browser plug-in (popcaploader_v10.cab) and Firefox plug-in (PopCapPluginInstaller_v2.exe), which are used to load our ActiveX-based Web games.
The files popcaploader_v10.cab (PopCaploader.dll) and PopCapPluginInstaller_v2.exe are not malicious – they are merely used to load our ActiveX-based Web games.
I have attached the file in question as a password protected .ZIP file (password = popcap); please make the necessary adjustments to your products to prevent such false-positives going forward.

Lavasoft rep response:

Posted by: LS Anders May 12 2009, 09:42 PM
Hello popcapgamestech
Thank you for your report. We will reinvestigate the files you uploaded and if they are found to be detected but non malicious they will be removed with the next definition update.
Regards
LS Anders
Posted by: LS Anders May 13 2009, 08:34 AM
These files are clearly miss categorized and will be taken out from detection while being re-investigated.
Regards
LS Anders

I am more confident in Malwarebytes.org so I'd like reassurance this is still considered malware and maybe why so I can explain it better to my end-users why they reeeeaaaaally don't want to play games at work....aside from obvious reasons.....sigh.

Thanks!