Adobe & Java re: Security Updates

As I have been learning more about programs, computers, and updates, I have a question.

I don't think that my Adobe is up to date. I doubt that my Java is either. Even if you don't use these items, do you still risk security holes in the program?

Also, is it important to update EVERY program so as not to risk security holes? For example, I have a pretty old version of aol instant messenger that I still use. I like it better than the new one, but now I realize that I might be putting myself at risk by doing that.

I know I need to keep these programs up to date, but I am not sure how to do that safely. They don't seem to come up when I start up my computer

Attached are two screen shots of what I currently have for Adobe and Java.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :P

STEP 01

Please go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove and for now remove ALL versions of JAVA

Then run this tool to help cleanup any left over Java

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

***Please close any instances of Internet Explorer (or other web browser) before continuing!***

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it back when you reply
    Then look for the following Java folders and if found delete them.
    C:\Program Files\Java
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java
    C:\Windows\Sun
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Java
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sun\Java
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Java
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Sun\Java

STEP 02

RESTART THE COMPUTER

STEP 03

Download and Update Java Runtime

The most current version of Sun Java is: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 13.

• Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
  • Go to Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 13 about half way down the page and click on the Download button.
  • In Platform box choose Windows.
  • Check the box to Accept License Agreement and click Continue.
  • Click on Windows Offline Installation, click on the link under it which says jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe and save the downloaded file to your desktop.
  • Install the new version by running the newly-downloaded file with the java icon which will be on your desktop, and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Uncheck the Toolbar button (unless you want the toolbar)
  • Reboot your computer

Thank you so much Ron! (May I call you Ron?)

I am not at my computer now but I am going to print off these instructions and do it as soon as I can when I get home tonight.

Just a little technical question for you - is restarting the computer and rebooting the same thing?

Also, this might be important. When I click on control panel on my home computer, before I go to add/remove programs, there is a Java Icon mixed in with all the others (windows firewall, internet connection, etc...) should I delete that too or ONLY do the add/remove software to remove Java and then follow the instructions that you gave me?

:P

Guest victimized

Well I don't know but on my computer (Windows XP Dark eDitioN ReBuild Version 3.1) the java icons are there, there is nothing wrong with that. Once you are done uninstalling Java you could download it from the post I made here. Restarting and rebooting the computer are the same thing. Though some might say a reboot as an uninstall and reinstall of a computer but it is still a restart.