No matter what I change my sleep settings to--screen off after 15 minutes, sleep after 20, etc., eventually they both get changed back to "Never". You can set them, click around in the control panel, then come back and see they changed. I've run several virus scans (Malwarebytes, Eset online, Bitdefender) and got nothing. I don't know if this is connected, but when I open the sleep settings from the "charm" menu on the right, once I've changed the settings I can't close the settings. I can close the window, it's gone from the task bar, but it shows up in file manager.

This has been going on for a week or two, then today it started changing the power options from whatever I've set them to (high performance, custom, etc.) to "balanced." I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Any ideas? I've posted in a couple of other forums and no one has even replied. I know it's off-topic, but I'm hoping the MBAM community can help.

Thanks.

• Root Admin

The logs are not showing obvious signs of an infection but the box is certainly showing many errors running things correctly. You may want to check further and verify the system is not infected and then go from there.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

System errors:
=============
Error: (01/16/2015 07:13:25 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4108) (User: SWEENMAN)
Description: The certificate received from the remote server has not validated correctly. The error code is 0x80092013. The SSL connection request has failed. The attached data contains the server certificate.

Error: (01/16/2015 07:13:25 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4120) (User: SWEENMAN)
Description: A fatal alert was generated and sent to the remote endpoint. This may result in termination of the connection. The TLS protocol defined fatal error code is 43. The Windows SChannel error state is 552.

Error: (01/16/2015 07:02:33 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7001) (User: )
Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%0

Error: (01/16/2015 07:02:04 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Windows Encryption Provider Host Service service terminated with the following error:
%%1064

Error: (01/16/2015 07:02:04 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Interactive Services Detection service terminated with the following error:
%%1

Error: (01/16/2015 07:01:52 PM) (Source: NETLOGON) (EventID: 3095) (User: )
Description: This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as
a member of a domain. The Netlogon service does not need to run in this
configuration.

Error: (01/16/2015 06:56:32 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7001) (User: )
Description: The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%0

Error: (01/16/2015 06:56:04 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Windows Encryption Provider Host Service service terminated with the following error:
%%1064

Error: (01/16/2015 06:56:03 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7023) (User: )
Description: The Interactive Services Detection service terminated with the following error:
%%1

Error: (01/16/2015 06:55:53 PM) (Source: NETLOGON) (EventID: 3095) (User: )
Description: This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as
a member of a domain. The Netlogon service does not need to run in this
configuration.

Thanks for your help. I Googled the errors, and a couple seemed like they weren't errors, and a few seemed like they'd have to involve the guy who administers our internet, who I don't want to bother since it's not a catastrophic function. And, as is so often the case, once the repairman shows up the problem goes away. My settings haven't changed in the last day or two. But I very much appreciate you taking the time to assist me.