longbeachlouise

Repair Harddrive

Thanx! IE 9 seems to be working great!

Question on Firefox, I would like to keep it, but I thought it is suspect to download addons without permission . . . What are those called? Plug-ins. Guess I have to clean those up, once in a while.

The bigger fish is the list of uninstaller programs? Is that what you mean? What do you want me to do, next?

if an uninstaller is not available for a specific program , you will have to use your google-fu .

when you find an uninstaller , post the link here so that one of us can "review" it to ensure its legitimacy .

elsewise , if you cannot find an uninstaller , post the name of the program (and any other pertinent information) here and we may be able to find one .

(one program/disaster at a time please :lol::P )

Would you kindly tell me what to do, when I went to the link for malwarebytes:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/10138-common-questions-issues-and-their-solutions/

there is no word, uninstaller.

The link you posted does not appear to the be the correct one -- that is a link to the (now outdated) FAQ for MBAM version 1.x.

Please have another look at the correct link posted by Firefox:

List of uninstallers HERE

Firefox's link takes you here: Information: List of Uninstaller Tools

And here is another database of uninstallers: Bleepingcomputer Uninstall Programs Database

Having said that, some of the links (and the accompanying instructions) contained in those lists may be outdated.

(It is very hard to keep up with that sort of list, because the software vendors change their software and removal tools very often.)

So, please follow AdvancedSetup's advice:

NOTE: Please visit the site FIRST and verify any special instructions before downloading and running any automated removal tool. Failure to do so could cause unexpected issues for the computer.

And please follow CWB's advice:

when you find an uninstaller , post the link here so that one of us can "review" it to ensure its legitimacy .

elsewise , if you cannot find an uninstaller , post the name of the program (and any other pertinent information) here and we may be able to find one .

(one program/disaster at a time please )

daledoc1, Thank you for your input.

The link you posted does not appear to the be the correct one -- that is a link to the (now outdated) FAQ for MBAM version 1.x.

Please have another look at the correct link posted by Firefox:

Firefox's link takes you here: Information: List of Uninstaller Tools

Confusing, to me, is the broken link of Malwarebytes, on the list you and Firefox linked to:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org//index.php?showtopic=10138

so, I tried to fix it, to reach the what you call, outdated FAQ.

You said to visit the page, first.

I don't know what are pups on my pc and what are not. May I run another scan, so you can see what is there, and tell me? Or, should I list the processes in the TaskManager? You have experience and could probably tell, on sight, what is excess.

if an uninstaller is not available for a specific program , you will have to use your google-fu .

Thanx for that! I have no idea what I want to uninstall. Would you help me with that, first? Thanx!

Firefox said to, then, run a checkdisk.

You can get us a clean set of logs and we can review them.... Also you can get us a list of installed programs so we can review them using your CCleaner program.

Open CCleaner

Click on the Tools (wrench) on the left pane

Wait a minute or two for the list of programs to get listed in the window.

Click on Save to text file... (bottom right corner)

Save the file on your Desktop (default name is install.txt).

Upload the text file so we can review it.

Bare in mind that only you know what programs you use or do not use, we can only make suggestions as what to uninstall.

You can get us a clean set of logs and we can review them.... Also you can get us a list of installed programs so we can review them using your CCleaner program.

Okay, hope I'm doing it right, this time! Thanx! :)

************************Contents of Install.txt file**************************

7-Zip 9.38 beta  1/18/2015 3.47 MB 

Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office suites Microsoft Corporation 5/4/2008 14.0 MB 

Adobe Flash Player 16 ActiveX Adobe Systems Incorporated 2/4/2015  16.0.0.305

Adobe Flash Player 16 NPAPI Adobe Systems Incorporated 1/25/2015  16.0.0.296

Adobe Reader X (10.1.13) Adobe Systems Incorporated 2/3/2015 115 MB 10.1.13

Atheros Driver Installation Program Atheros 5/4/2008 4.00 KB 7.1

CCleaner Piriform 1/23/2015 8.06 MB 5.01

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system Microsoft Corporation 2/22/2008 63.4 MB 12.0.4518.1014

Conexant HD Audio Conexant 5/4/2008 1.06 MB 4.31.0.50

Defraggler Piriform 1/23/2015 7.22 MB 2.18

DVD Suite CyberLink Corp. 5/4/2008 48.1 MB 5.5.0928

HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP  5/4/2008 1.06 MB 

HP Active Support Library Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 11.9 MB 2.3.0.2

HP Customer Experience Enhancements Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 0.98 MB 5.4.0.2430

HP DVD Play 3.6  5/4/2008 7.85 MB 

HP Easy Setup - Frontend Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 1.91 MB 5.4.0.2430

HP Help and Support Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 49.2 MB 1.5.1

HP Photosmart Essential 2.5 HP 5/4/2008 3.20 MB 2.5

HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.40 B2 Hewlett-Packard 5/4/2008 17.1 MB 6.40 B2

HP Smart Web Printing Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 6.54 MB 3.0.17.0

HP Total Care Advisor Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 30.1 MB 1.4.19.2433

HP Update Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 3.48 MB 4.000.009.002

HP Wireless Assistant Hewlett-Packard 2/22/2008 3.94 MB 3.00 H2

HPNetworkAssistant Hewlett-Packard. 2/22/2008 17.6 MB 1.1.70

ImgBurn LIGHTNING UK! 1/18/2015 3.01 MB 2.5.8.0

Java 7 Update 71 Oracle 1/16/2015 119 MB 7.0.710

LabelPrint CyberLink Corp. 5/4/2008 229 MB 2.20.2128

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.4.1028 Malwarebytes Corporation 1/17/2015 47.3 MB 2.0.4.1028

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Microsoft Corporation 1/16/2015 27.8 MB 

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Microsoft Corporation 1/19/2015 120 MB 4.0.30319

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 Microsoft Corporation 2/22/2008 304 MB 12.0.4518.1014

Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) Microsoft Corporation 2/22/2008 88.8 MB 12.0.4518.1014

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Microsoft Corporation 1/16/2015 2.70 MB 8.0.50727.363

Microsoft Works Microsoft Corporation 2/22/2008 396 MB 9.7.0621

Mozilla Firefox 35.0.1 (x86 en-US) Mozilla 1/28/2015 83.1 MB 35.0.1

Mozilla Maintenance Service Mozilla 1/28/2015 224 KB 35.0.1

MSN  1/28/2015 8.97 MB 

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) Microsoft Corporation 1/16/2015 35.0 KB 4.20.9870.0

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) Microsoft Corporation 1/16/2015 1.33 MB 4.20.9876.0

muvee autoProducer 6.1 muvee Technologies 2/22/2008 145 MB 6.10.050

NetWaiting BVRP Software, Inc 5/4/2008 5.23 MB 2.5.46

NVIDIA Drivers  5/4/2008  

Power2Go CyberLink Corp. 5/4/2008 166 MB 5.6.3327

PowerDirector CyberLink Corp. 2/22/2008 356 MB 6.5.2129

QuickPlay SlingPlayer 0.4.6 SlingMedia 5/4/2008 178 MB 0.4.6

RICOH R5C83x/84x Flash Media Controller Driver Ver.3.51.01  5/4/2008 1.93 MB 3.51.01

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver Synaptics 5/4/2008 13.5 MB 10.0.13.2

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults (3).txt

Hope I added the files, right, this time!

Or did you want install.txt as an attachment?

I could edit it, and make the changes.

When you said this:

Upload the text file so we can review it.

I thought you mean, in the body of the comment, because it is small.

one item i noticed ... "weather bug" .

some people like this little piece of ... oh never mind .

personally , i would uninstall it .

sometimes , this will show in the "programs and features" in the control panel .

in other instances , removal with a specific tool or something such as a decent "uninstaller program" is required .

try the control panel first and if that fails , break out the google-foo . and post back the links .

Can't find it. I have to step out, but I noticed in the Additions, it said

WeatherBug Gadget (Version: 1.0.0.6 - AWS Convergence Technologies) Hidden

so I googled directions how to view hidden files. I want to view the hidden files. Then maybe it will appear, because it doesn't in the Control Panel or Start/Programs. I have to step out, so I'll get to it later.

Thanx for finding that! If there is anything else, please let me know.

I don't know which folder WeatherBug is in. I just selected View Hidden Files on the computer, so I can see them all, and see there is still a folder for

Wild Tangent

containing these three files:

post-96106-0-07903000-1423285378_thumb.j

I KNOW I followed Firefox's advise to uninstall, and there those still are, including a 1kb file which got updated on January 16th, 2015. Maybe that was the date of the uninstall.

Where should I look for Weather Bug? I want to uninstall it, but didn't see anything with weatherbug or AWS in the control panel or under Start/Programs.

the "view hidden files" on the comp is for protecting system files (and such) ... in other words these files are sensitive to the operation of the operating system and if tampered with can result in a *bricked machine* or non/malfunctioning programs.

thus , these files are hidden for good reason ... to keep neophytes out of them ... (re)hide them unless specifically instructed to un-hide them .

"sometimes , this will show in the "programs and features" in the control panel ."

"Then maybe it will appear, because it doesn't in the Control Panel or Start/Programs. I have to step out, so I'll get to it later."

not clear from your comment ... did you go to the "programs and features" section of the control panel and search for this/these programs ?

did you google for a "weather bug" removal program ?

remember ... post links before acting on it .

i recall that there is a comprehensive removal program for items such as "weather bug" and more .

in some cases , the bits-n-pieces left behind from the removal of certain nefarious/questionable programs causes no problems other than when one finds them it is akin to finding the odd scrap of paper or crumb of food on a floor .

i have run across "wild tangent" on many other machines and have removed it and all associated items ... personally , it is crapware and a possible infection vector .

CWD said, "(re)hide them unless specifically instructed to un-hide them."

Okay, I re hid them.

Found Weather Bug! Here is the path:

C > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > AWS > Weather Bug > GadgetInstaller > WeatherBugGadgetSidebarInstaller

Not all programs are accessible from the Start button.

Here is a link I found with various instructions, but I didn't do any of them, but I found weatherbug by checking Program Files from the folder.

http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

Now, how do I uninstall it?

02-09-2015: The instructions on PCHell.com linked to, above, say:

To delete the AWS directory

1. Open "MY COMPUTER" icon on your desktop.
2. Double-click the C drive.
3. Double-click “Program Files” folder to open.
4. Right click on the folder titled "AWS" and select DELETE.

Should I try this, first?

Thanx, everybody, for your suggestions. One thing works out well - the PC is back up to 2 hours of battery life. It had 2 hours of battery when it was new, and it was down to about 1 1/3 hour. But the deletions I did already brought the time back up - yay! :)

Makes sense, right? If there are alot of things running in the background, deleting them would extend the battery . . .

if your machine has the items as listed by the full set of instructions at the site you linked to then you can do as instructed .

there is much more than just the four steps you copy/pasted ... everything under "how do i remove weatherbug" applies .

i do not recommend this fix in your case as navigating/mucking about in the registry is absolutely not for the uninitiated .

try looking for a "software tool" for removing weatherbug .

there are a couple of "adware cleaners" available ... they are comprehensive in what they will recognize and remove .

I don't mind trying adding / removing files from the Run window, as long as you answer my questions. But, I found a weatherbug removal tool. How does this one look?

http://www.securitystronghold.com/gates/remove-weatherbug.html

http://www.securitystronghold.com/gates/remove-weatherbug.html

Stay far away from that.

Recommended Removal Tool - Download SpyHunter by Enigma Software Group LLC  Junk

heh ... yeppers , that is a POS-1 site/fix ...

it is flagged , tagged and gagged by WOT and trafficlight .

try again .

@LBL :

i suggest that you install "WOT" and "trafficlight" in firefox .

you will find these in FF by going to :

tools/add-ons/get add-ons

in the search box type in the name of the add-ons i mentioned .

click on the magnifying glass .

click on install of the correct add-on .

these two items will help keep you out of trouble .

heh ... yeppers , that is a POS-1 site/fix ...

it is flagged , tagged and gagged by WOT and trafficlight .

try again .

Thanx, Porthos. AdvancedSetup, and CWB! :) Good thing I checked with you, first - thanx! :)

@LBL :

i suggest that you install "WOT" and "trafficlight" in firefox .

you will find these in FF by going to :

tools/add-ons/get add-ons

in the search box type in the name of the add-ons i mentioned .

click on the magnifying glass .

click on install of the correct add-on .

these two items will help keep you out of trouble

Okay, I'm going to do that. You mean, it will keep Firefox safe?

9:30 PM Added those two to Firefox. Usually I use IE 9 - is there something for that?

Now, I still have to uninstall weatherbug.

try looking for a "software tool" for removing weatherbug .

there are a couple of "adware cleaners" available ... they are comprehensive in what they will recognize and remove .

Would you recommend an adware cleaner?

Will it uninstall weatherbug?

Edited to say, I found two more uninstall guides:

1. Remove WeatherBug by Earth Networks (Uninstall Guide)

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/weatherbug-removal/

The Step 1 of this one says to use Revo Uninstaller to remove unwanted programs.

The Step 2 says: Remove WeatherBug adware from your computer with AdwCleaner.

There is the AdwCleaner link.

Then it says to use Malwarebytes. Step 4 says use Hitman Pro.

That's 3 things I have to download and install: Revo, AdwCleaner, and Hitman Pro.

2. How to Remove Ads by WeatherBug? (Adware Removal Guide)

http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-45-27607-0.html

This one recommends the Anvi Smart Defender. I like it, because there are instructions to remove ads from each browser, IE and Firefox.

If you need further help with this then you really need to open a topic in the malware removal forum as most of the tools or methods to clean this cannot be used outside of the malware removal forum as the site is really geared for that.

If you want help please open a new topic in this forum below and ask for me and link to this post for reference or say that I asked you to post there for help and send me a PM once you've done so.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/forum/7-malware-removal-help/

Thanks

Okay, I'll do that! But the original thing was troubleshoot the hard drive. In that process, I reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled the original setup from an image file in the hidden files of this laptop. The dianostic attempt kept giving an error message, no matter how many DVD-Rs burned fresh from an image posted here, earlier.

I still want to run a diagnostic, as initially purposed. Maybe you suspend this thread until I am ready to get back to the original purpose?