Repair Harddrive

longbeachlouise

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I am going to trouble shoot what happened.

Comparing the two image files, the one from the 14th is 1856 KB, and the one extracted from the above, is 2.156 KB.

My father said he used burn software that is pre-installed on Windows.

Checking the DVD he gave me, I don't even see it on there.

Okay, this time it will be properly burned on a DVD.

Sorry 'bout that.

David H.Lipman, I feel your pain, it gave me a headache just reading this thread. :rolleyes:

I've managed to spill a freshly made cup of tea all over myself laughing at your gif's, luckily it's only me thats been scalded and not my computer. :D:P

hopefully the WD diagnostics will be burnt to disc and run correctly this time around .

there is much "clouding" of what has actually transpired .

time to start fresh .

personally speaking ...

i do not trust what the majority of windows diagnostics has to "say" when it comes to determining if a HDD is good or bad .

what i do trust is the WD tool(s) and some other tools that are available .

i really feel that the HDD is bad (just by symptoms alone) and should be replaced ASAP ... no second guessing involved .

the more you run that drive the more it wants to join "the choir invisible" ... and there will come a point that someone will be blowing taps on a bugle .

if there is any critical information/files on that HDD ... get them off of it ... you may need to plug it into another comp to do so .

HI, Thanx, everybody, for your feedback!

Here is the screenshot you originally requested.
post-96106-0-60798400-1421603960_thumb.j

According to your instructions,

You will need Roxio, Nero or other 1third party software to burn a CDROM of the ISO image file.

my Dad burned the CD on the 14th, first using Roxio which came preinstalled on his laptop.

The BIOS didn't start right with the menu options at the top, so he could follow your original instructions to:

Press the right arrow key until you see the "Boot" option. Press the down arrow until you see "Boot Device Priority."

* Select the CD-ROM drive using the down arrow key, then press the plus sign key until the CD-ROM drive is first in the priority order.

* Boot from the CDROM and run the diagnostics in the long ( Extended ) Mode.

so he wound up running an internal diagnostics, of which CWD said,

i do not trust what the majority of windows diagnostics has to "say" when it comes to determining if a HDD is good or bad

and I agree.

So, I observed the diagnostics had not been run from the burned CD, but from the hard drive, which concluded the hard drive needs replacing.

Everybody was yelling at me. Clicking on the options at the bottom of the Compaq logo when it loads: Esc, F1, F2, F9, F10 and F11, I was able to do a Startup Repair and launch Recovery Manager to reformat the hard drive, and install the factory image of the original factory settings from 2008.

So Windows Vista launched and seems to be working. Then I tried the diagnostics from the CD, but got the error messages:

Unable to locate the License Agreement file, DLGLICE.txt

Please make sure thatthe license Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.exe

and

Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM

Insert correct disk and strike any key -

all the way down the page.

so you posted a new zip. I thought it hadn't been burned properly, because I didn't know the image file you posted in a zip split into those old files. Here is a list of the files burned from the unzipped iso image, from the zip file you posted the 2nd time:

post-96106-0-66688400-1421605552_thumb.j

Very similiar to the first burned image, except the DLGDIAG5 file has a 2005 date instead of 2011 . . .

My Dad downloaded Nero this time, and burned the unzipped iso file using Nero, so I tried again to run the diagnostic. This time, the BIOS appeared okay, and I did exactly as your instructions said, to advance the priority of the CD DVD drive to the top, and save and exit and reboot.

* Press the right arrow key until you see the "Boot" option. Press the down arrow until you see "Boot Device Priority."

* Select the CD-ROM drive using the down arrow key, then press the plus sign key until the CD-ROM drive is first in the priority order.

* Boot from the CDROM and run the diagnostics in the long ( Extended ) Mode

The last instruction I couldn't carry out, because there was no option to run the diagnostics in the long (Extended) mode, only the error message of before:

and

Please make sure thatthe license Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.exe

Therefore, now I know the image file was burned using the 2 of the 3rd party softwares you recommended, and I did make the CD-ROM first in the priority order.

Did you notice a discrepancy in the error message and the exe file on the CD ROM?

Please make sure that the license Agreement file is located in the same path as DLGDIAG.exe

The error message says, DLGDIAG.exe

the exe file is named

DLGDIAG5.exe

with a, "5," at the end.

When software refers to itself by a name that is different from what its name is, sometimes that can cause problems, right?

That's a great gif!

I burnt the image iso as a, "boot," on Nero. (The files are not visible in documents, as before. Is that the correct setting to burn a boot disk?) Here is what the screen showed after rebooting with the new disk, more or less. I ran it a few times to get the details at the top, as they scrolled out of view almost instantly. What do you say?

Starting Caldera DR DOS

. . .

Disk Name MSCD001

Firewire failed to initialize

USB Driver loaded successfully

usage Fat.exe 32 [-wl]

WL without LFN support

. . .

No FAT32 Volumes Found, Exiting . . .

NTFS Filesystem Driver for DR-DOS, Version 1.200.

Copyright

Usage:ntfsread.exe [-u]

Partition C:\ installed

Partition D:\ installed

Search for USB HD Devices . . .

USB support successfully initialized

NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM filehandler

Drive E: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0

Completed Codepage preparation

Completed codepage select function

NLSFUNC R4.00 National Language Support

copyright

[DR-DOS] A:\>

That is a self contained disk. When the ISO is burned to a CD and booted from said CD it autoloads the WD Diagnostics. I don't know what Nero is doing but there are no settings. Just burn the ISO to a CD, that's it. It works that way in Roxio and with IMGburn. The last ISO I uploaded was generated from a known working CD of WD Diagnostics v5.04. There is no editing, there are no settings. The ISO gets burned to the CD as the ISO is a file that represents the image of said CD.

• You are going to use IMGburn to take the supplied "ISO" file to make the CD:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" folderIcon.jpg to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." ImgBurn_s.jpg

NOTE: Choose a Custom installation. Don't allow any "bundled" crap to get installed.

Followed your instructions.

• You are going to use IMGburn to take the supplied "ISO" file to make the CD:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" folderIcon.jpg to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." ImgBurn_s.jpg

NOTE: Choose a Custom installation. Don't allow any "bundled" crap to get installed.

It is the 5th blank DVD-R. "Write the Image file to disk," was the default at the top. The burn was, "successful," and the DVD drive screen appeared and showed the five files, as before.

Then I juggled the priority of the DVD-drive to the top, rebooted, and after the compaq logo appeared, the screen went blank as earlier, and generated the same error as before:

Is it because of the operating system, Windows Vista Home Basic?

It would be interesting to study the files and find out what path is causing the problem.

I thought you had renamed the file, and that was in the zip you posted last.

You sure made a fool of me.

No one has a big ego here, and everyone on this thread is trying to help you. Please remain calm as help is provided.

Just out of curiosity, try using this boot CD (you keep using DVD's we would prefer a CDR not a DVD) on another computer to see if you get the same error.  Its quite possible that the DVD drive on this computer may be bad as well.

Just out of curiosity, try using this boot CD (you keep using DVD's we would prefer a CDR not a DVD) on another computer to see if you get the same error.  Its quite possible that the DVD drive on this computer may be bad as well.

Is there another way I can test my dvd drive? My father doesn't want to run a diagnostic or attempt to run a diagnostic on his hard drive.

We can READ the files on the DVD-R on each computer. What if I load a regular CD in the dvd drive? I have a brand new, unopened CD I could insert into the CD-ROM drive. Its System Requirements are Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 (not Windows RT).

48 MB RAM required for this application and 80 MB free hard disk space (up to 500 MB for full installation).

Could I install that thing to test it instead?

If you boot with that diagnostic CD it is only going to boot up the computer to the DVD and it will not automatically run the test. You will have the option to exit. Worst case scenario is that the test will tell you that a Western Digital drive is not present.

I just tried burning the image to a CD and tested it on a laptop without a WD drive in it, I booted and simply told me a WD drive was not present.

I also burnt the image to a DVD and I got the same results so the image works.

These are the error messages I keep getting:

and

What about my idea of renaming the exe file? There is a discrepancy between the error message, and the name of the actual exe file.

The exe file on the burned image has a, "5," at the end.

In the Error message, above, there is no, "5."

This is what you mean about the WD drive?

post-96106-0-52611400-1421711007_thumb.j

No your drive is not disabled and you are able to read contents off the drive correct?

The contents appear. There is no error message.

If there are no other ideas, I have a new DVD-R I can burn. Could we try renaming the .exe file from DLGDIAG5.exe to DLGDIAG.exe? You have to rename it on your end and create a zip, so I can burn it on my end.

@ Dave, thanx for the suggestion of imgBurn. I have it on my laptop. This is the computer I am on, now. It's been working great, so far! After the hard drive was reformatted and factory settings restored, it has never operated so fast or given so few problems! It's like I have a real computer!

I graduated to this from a single core PC, which I kept blowing up the hard drive until it finally burned out, from Spyware Doctor, Adaware, CCleaner, PCTools and other anti-virus running at once. Switching to dual core was a revelation, but this laptop has been slow and given problems most of the time, as you can see from my record of starting posts in this forum. This laptop was a hand-me-down. Its settings were modified and other softwares had been installed. Then I tried to uninstall programs on my own, which I didn't know what they were. But now it works great. I am grateful for this thread and the help. It wound up that I discovered the image in the hidden partition and was able to recover the factory settings. It has never worked so well. It runs like a quad-core. Now, if I can, I just want to run a proper diagnostic.

I do not think that the renaming of the file is going to get you anywhere, but David may have to chime in on that one, as he is the one that provided the ISO.

If you are happy with the way the computer is running now, then perhaps there is no need for now to run this diagnostics.

Being that you did a system restore, make sure you run Windows Updates and install all the latest updates for any software you have on the computer.

Archived